- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Botulinum Toxin Injection and Physical Therapy to Reduce Tongue Pain and Discomfort: Case Reports
- Kwon, Dae-Kyung (Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Hee-Kyung (Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2020.12.08
- Accepted : 2020.12.18
- Published : 2020.12.30
The causes of tongue pain and discomfort include systemic disease, malnutrition, mental illness, fungal infection, and neuropathy. Three postmenopausal women reported burning sensations and stiffness of the tongue for various periods, from one month to four years. There were no objective etiological factors to cause the tongue pain and discomfort. Muscular tenderness upon palpation of masticatory muscles, sternocleidomastoid, trapezius, and tongue were observed. Physical therapy approaches such as moist hot pack, ultrasound, and myomonitor were performed on three patients with tongue pain, just as for temporomandibular joint disease. Additional botulinum toxin injection therapy was applied to one patient who displayed a clenching habit. All three patients showed a marked improvement in their tongue symptoms after the muscle relaxation and botulinum toxin injection therapy.
- Bender SD. Burning mouth syndrome. Dent Clin North Am 2018; 62:585-596. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2018.05.006
- International classification of orofacial pain, 1st edition (ICOP). Cephalalgia 2020;40:129-221. https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102419893823
- Roh BY, Ahn JM, Yoon CL, Ryu JW. Case report: Treatment of burning mouth syndrome using a removable anti-nociceptive appliance. J Oral Med Pain 2012;37:1-7. https://doi.org/10.14476/jomp.2012.37.1.001
- Grushka M, Epstein JB, Gorsky M. Burning mouth syndrome. Am Fam Physician 2002;65:615-620.
- Scala A, Checchi L, Montevecchi M, Marini I, Giamberardino MA. Update on burning mouth syndrome: overview and patient management. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 2003;14:275-291. https://doi.org/10.1177/154411130301400405
- de Siqueira SR, Teixeira MJ, de Siqueira JT. Orofacial pain and sensory characteristics of chronic patients compared with controls. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2013;115:e37-e45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2013.02.014
- Corsalini M, Di Venere D, Pettini F, Lauritano D, Petruzzi M. Temporomandibular disorders in burning mouth syndrome patients: an observational study. Int J Med Sci 2013;10:1784-1789. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.6327
- Yoon AH, Ryu JW. Masticatory muscle tenderness in burning mouth syndrome: a case control study. Oral Biol Res 2019;43:83-87. https://doi.org/10.21851/obr.43.01.201903.83
- Takahashi S, Kuribayashi G, Ono T, Ishiwata Y, Kuroda T. Modulation of masticatory muscle activity by tongue position. Angle Orthod 2005;75:35-39.
- Maltsman-Tseikhin A, Moricca P, Niv D. Burning mouth syndrome: will better understanding yield better management? Pain Pract 2007;7:151-162. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1533-2500.2007.00124.x
- Kho HS, Lee JS, Lee EJ, Lee JY. The effects of parafunctional habit control and topical lubricant on discomforts associated with burning mouth syndrome (BMS). Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2010;51:95-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2009.08.008
- Drage LA, Rogers RS 3rd. Burning mouth syndrome. Dermatol Clin 2003;21:135-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0733-8635(02)00063-3
- Isberg AM, Isacsson G, Williams WN, Loughner BA. Lingual numbness and speech articulation deviation associated with temporomandibular joint disk displacement. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1987;64:9-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(87)90107-1
- Piagkou M, Demesticha T, Piagkos G, Georgios A, Panagiotis S. Lingual nerve entrapment in muscular and osseous structures. Int J Oral Sci 2010;2:181-189. https://doi.org/10.4248/IJOS10063
- Alvira-González J, Gay-Escoda C. Sensory disturbances of buccal and lingual nerve by muscle compression: a case report and review of the literature. J Clin Exp Dent 2016;8:e93-e96.
- Fricton JR, Kroening R, Haley D, Siegert R. Myofascial pain syndrome of the head and neck: a review of clinical characteristics of 164 patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1985;60:615-623. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(85)90364-0
- Donnelly JM, Fernández-de-Las-Peñas C, Finnegan M, Freeman JL. Travell, Simons & Simons' myofascial pain and dysfunction: the trigger point manual. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2019. pp. 268-293.
- Hara S, Namekawa H. Adaptation of myofascial trigger point massage therapy for secondary burning mouth syndrome: a case report. Jpn J Orofac Pain 2011;4:63-70.