- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Factors Affecting Radiation Knowledge among Aircrew
항공 승무원의 방사선 지식에 영향을 미치는 요인 분석
- Shin, Hyeongho (Graduate School of Urban Public Health, University of Seoul) ;
- Park, Sangshin (Graduate School of Urban Public Health, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2020.01.14
- Accepted : 2020.02.10
- Published : 2020.02.29
Objectives: This study identified factors impacting radiation knowledge among aircrew, who are affected by cosmic radiation exposure due to their occupational environment. Methods: In September 2019 we conducted an online survey of aircrew through a Google link. We evaluated the level of radiation knowledge using a ten-item (10 points) questionnaire. The following exploratory variables were evaluated in relationship with the level of radiation knowledge using univariable linear regression models: sex, age, duration of employment, position level, company, marriage, education level, personal/family history of disease, and the number of times acquiring information on radiation through various channels (internet searching, watching television, reading newspaper, conversation about radiation with aircrew/non-aircrew, in-house training). With a p of 0.2 in univariable models, we built a multivariable linear regression model using a stepwise selection method. Results: The average radiation knowledge score of the 356 respondents was 7.22. Univariable linear regression analysis showed that radiation knowledge of the aircrew was associated with their company, position level, age, and number of conversations with other aircrew members. Our multivariable model showed that the radiation knowledge level of aircrew decreased as they had more conversations about radiation with other aircrew members and as their age increased. Conclusions: Korean air crew showed a lower level of radiation knowledge as their age and the number of conversations with colleagues increased. The study suggests that more education is needed in order for aircrew to gain accurate radiation knowledge.
- ICRP Publication 105, Radiation protection in medicine. International Commission on Radiological Protection. Ann ICRP. 2007; 37(6): 1-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icrp.2008.07.001
- Do KH. The health effects of low-dose radiation exposure. J Korea Med Assoc. 2011; 54(11): 235-236.
- Lee MK, Lee KS, Cho YC. The effects of fractionated radiation on chromosome aberrations and sister chromatid exchanges in rat lymphocyte culture. J Environ Health Sci. 1988; 24(2): 88-99.
- Lee WJ, Radiation Exposure-An Important environmental factor. J Environ Health Sci. 2011; 37(4): 235-236.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. 2014; 12(2): 1-60.
- Hwang SL, Hwang JS, Yang YT, Hsieh WA, Chang TC, Guo HR, et al. Estimates of relative risks for cancers in a population after prolonged low-doserate radiation exposure: a follow-up assessment from 1983 to 2005. Radiat Res. 2008; 170(2): 143-148. https://doi.org/10.1667/RR0732.1
- Gillies M, Haylock R, Hunter N, et al. Risk of leukemia associated with protracted low-dose radiation exposure: updated results from the national registry for radiation workers study. Radiat Res. 2019; 192(5): 527-537. https://doi.org/10.1667/RR15358.1
- Desmaris D. Cosmic radiation in aviation: radiological protection of air france aircraft crew. Annals of the ICRP. 2016; 64(1): 64-74.
- Thierfeldt S, Haider C, Hans P, Kaleve M, Neuenfeldt F. Evaluation of the implementation of radiation protection measures for aircrew in EU member states. Radiation Protection Dosimetry. 2009; 136(4): 324-328. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncp170
- Zeeb H, Hammer GP, Blettner M. Epidemiological investigations of aircrew: an occupational group with low-level cosmic radiation exposure. J Radiol Prot. 2012; 32(1): 15-19. https://doi.org/10.1088/0952-4746/32/1/N15
- Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety. Nuclear Safety yearbook, 2015.
- McNeely E, Mordukhovich L, Staffa S, Tideman S, Gale S, Coull B. Cancer prevalence among flight attendants compared to the general population. Environ Health. 2018; 17(49): 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12940-017-0345-y
- Yong LC, Sigurdson AJ, Ward EM, Waters MA, Whelan EA, Petersen MR, et al. Increased frequency of chromosome translocations in airline pilots with long-term flying experience. Occup Environ Med. 2009; 66(1): 56-62. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2008.038901
- Lochard J, Barlett DT, Riihm W, Yasuda H, Bottollier-Depois JF. ICRP Publication 132, Radiological Protection from Cosmic Radiation in Aviation. Ann ICRP. 2016; 45(1): 5-48. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146645316645449
- Yoon SJ, Oh JA, Im MH. Knowledge, attitude, and education needs of radiation protection among nursing students and nurses. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2016; 44(10): 563-572.
- Yoon JA. A comparative study on radiation safety management knowledge, attitudes and behavior of career dental hygienists and new dental hygienists. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science. 2011; 11(3): 173-179.
- Pisal H, Sutar S, Sastry J, Kapadia-Kundu N, Joshi A, Joshi M, et al. Nurses' health education program in India increases HIV knowledge and reduces fear. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2007; 18(6): 32-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2007.06.002
- Sercekus P, Baskale H. Effects of antenatal education on fear of childbirth, maternal self-efficacy and parental attachment. Midwifery. 2016; 34: 166-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2015.11.016
- Ji EH, Oh JM, Kim SK, Lee SH. Public perception and routes of acquiring information on drug safety. Kor J Clin Pharm. 2011; 21(4): 311-318.
- Korean Industrial Health Association. Perceptions and Related Factors of Health Risks due to Radiation Exposure of Workers at Work. Available: https://kiha21.or.kr/monthly/2015/3/SOBGBO_2015_s323_22.pdf [accessed 14 Jan 2020].
- Lee SY, Lee KS, Lim HW, Chae JH, Kim DJ, Lee JH, et al. The change of non-smoking knowledge and attitude of intensive course of anti-smoking leadership training. Korean J Occup Environ Med. 2007; 19(3): 171-178. https://doi.org/10.35371/kjoem.2007.19.3.171
- Kim MY, Kim MS. Correlation among nurses' educational status, knowledge and disaster preparedness abilities. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2017; 18(7): 589-598. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.7.589
- Hwang SH, Jang JS. A comparative study on the knowledge, attitude and behavior of community regarding. Korean J Food Nutr. 2016; 29(2): 246-252. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.2.246
- Kim CS, Kim DH, Kim JH. Analysis of awareness of radiation and nuclear power plants after fukushima nuclear accident. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2013; 13(9): 281-287. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.09.281
- Ryu YH, Dong KR, Chung WK, Cho JH, Park YS, Jung HR. A survey on the knowledge of radiation safety management (RSM) in the context of industrial use of radiation. Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology. 2012; 6(3): 159-166. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2012.6.3.159
- Kim JH, Ko SJ, Kang SS, Choi SY, Kim CS. Analysis of radiation/radioactivity-related knowledge, perception and behaviors of radiological technologists. Journal of Radiological Science and Technology. 2011; 34(2): 123-129.