- Volume 55 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Mechanical Properties and Morphology of Polyamide/Polypropylene Blends
- Kim, Su Young (Chemical Materials R&D Center, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Ha, Jin Uk (Chemical Materials R&D Center, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Shin, Donghyeok (Department of Energy, Materials and Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Jung, Wooseok (R&D Center, Woo-Sung Chemical Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Pyoung-Chan (Chemical Materials R&D Center, Korea Automotive Technology Institute)
- Received : 2019.09.16
- Accepted : 2019.10.11
- Published : 2020.03.31
This study examined the effects of the addition of maleic anhydride-grafted polypropylene (PP-g-MA) and polyolefin elastomer (POE) on polyamide 66 (PA66) and polypropylene (PP) blends. The blends of PA66/PP with PP-g-MA and POE were prepared using a twin screw extruder. Mechanical testing results revealed that the tensile, flexural, and izod impact strengths of the blends were maximized at a PP-g-MA content of 2 phr. The increased mechanical strength of the blends with PP-g-MA was attributed to the compatibilizing effect of the PA66 and PP blends. In addition, as the POE content increased, the impact strength of the blends increased. However, at a high POE content, the tensile and flexural strengths decreased, seemingly because of the lower mechanical properties of POE.
Supported by : 중소벤처기업부
- P.-C. Lee, J. U. Ha, B.-R. Kim, S. K. Jeoung, W. Jung, D. Shin, J. H. Han, and Y.-K. Bang, "Melt Flow Improvement of Polyamide 6/Glass Fiber Composite Using Amide-type Lubricant", Polym. Korea, 42, 568 (2018). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2018.42.4.568
- P.-C. Lee, B.-R. Kim, C. Um, S. H. Kim, H. U. Lee, J. U. Ha, S. K. Jeoung, D. Shin, and W. Jung, "Study on Water Uptake in Polyamide-based Metallic Nanocomposites", Polym. Korea, 43, 139 (2019). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2019.43.1.139
- B. U. Nam and S. J. Kim, "A Study on the Commercialization of Polyamide 66/Polypropylene Blend", Elastomers and Composites, 38, 262 (2003).
- J.-Y. Lee and K.-J. Kim, "Overview of Polyamide Resins and Composites : A Review", Elastomers and Composites, 51, 317 (2016). https://doi.org/10.7473/EC.2016.51.4.317
- Y. Lee, C.-W. Lee, Y.-H. Cha, and Y.-M. Hahm, "Properties of PA 6,6/Elastomer Blends with Various Elastomer Content", Elastomers and Composites, 34, 20 (1999).
- T. Lee, C. Yoon, D.-S. Bang, D.-Y. Ahn, H. Kye, and K.-C. Shin, "A Study on the Manufacturing and Mechanical Properties of the PA66/EPDM/PP Composites for Enhanced Low Temperature Fracture Resistances", Elastomers and Composites, 44, 164 (2009).
- D. P. N. Vlasveld, J. Groenewold, H. E. N. Bersee, and S. J. Picken, "Moisture absorption in polyamide-6 silicate nanocomposites and its influence on the mechanical properties", Polymer, 46, 12567 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2005.10.096
- G. M. Shashidhara, D. Biswas, B. S. Pai, A. K. Kadiyala,G. S. W. Feroze, and M. Ganesh, "Effect of PP-g-MAH compatibilizer content in polypropylene/nylon-6 blends", Polym. Bull., 63, 147 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00289-009-0074-7
- S. K. Pal and D. D. Kale, "Effect of processing conditions and properties of PP/nylon 6 blends", J. Poly. Res., 7, 107 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10965-006-0110-3
- A. Gonzalex-Montiel, H. Keskkula, and D. R. Paul, "Morphology of Nylon 6/Polypropylene Blends Compatibilized with Maleated Polypropylene", J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys., 33, 1751 (1995).
- S. N. Sathe, S. Devi, G. S S. Rao, and K. V. Rao, "Relationship Between Morphology and Mechanical Properties of Binary and Compatiblized Ternary Blends of Polypropylene and Nylon 6", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 61, 97 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4628(19960705)61:1<97::AID-APP11>3.0.CO;2-X
- D. J. Kang, S. H. Lee, K. Pal, C. Y. Park, Z. X. Zhang, D.-S. Bang, and J. K. Kim, "Preparation and Characterization of Grafted Maleic Anhydride onto Polypropylene by Reactive Extrusion", Polym. Korea, 33, 358 (2009).