- Volume 55 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Peroxide Curing Agents in EVA Compounds and Vulcanizates
- Chae, Eunji (Department of Chemistry, Sejong University) ;
- Choi, Sung-Seen (Department of Chemistry, Sejong University)
- Received : 2019.10.08
- Accepted : 2019.11.20
- Published : 2020.03.31
Poly(ethylene-co-vinyl acetate) compounds and vulcanizates containing dicumyl peroxide (DCP) (HD) were prepared, and the curing agent and reaction products were analyzed using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS). Samples containing trially cyanurate (TAC) and DCP (HDT) were also prepared and analyzed. Some raw DCP were decomposed in the injector region of GC to produce acetophenone. DCP was detected in the HD compound but was not observed in the HD vulcanizate, and instead acetophenone and 2-phenyl-2-propanol were detected. Both DCP and TAC were observed in the HDT compound but not in the HDT vulcanizate, where acetophenone and 2-phenyl-2-propanol were detected. Thus, some of the DCP decomposed during the compounding process. The formation mechanism for acetophenone and 2-phenyl-2-propanol during the crosslinking reaction was identified, and differences in the crosslinking reactions of HD and HDT compounds were discussed.
- J. R. Lee, C. S. Choi, and H-J. Kang, "Crosslinking characteristics of ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer by the structure of crosslinking agents", Polymer (Korea), 33, 131 (2009).
- M. Narkis and J. Miltz, "Peroxide crosslinking of ethylenevinyl acetate copolymer", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 21, 703 (1977). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.1977.070210311
- S. B. Mishra and A. S. Luyt, "Effect of organic peroxides on the morphological, thermal and tensile properties of EVAorganoclay nanocomposites", Express Polym. Lett., 2, 256 (2008). https://doi.org/10.3144/expresspolymlett.2008.31
- B. Wang, X. Wang, Y. Shi, G. Tang, Q. Tang, L. Song, and Y. Hu, "Effect of vinyl acetate content and electron beam irradiation on the flame retardancy, mechanical and thermal properties of intumescent flame retardant ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer", Radiat. Phys. Chem., 81, 308 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2011.10.021
- H. Sheng, Y. Zhang, B. Wang, B. Yu, Y. Shi, L. Song, C. K. Kundu, Y. Tao, G. Jie, H. Feng, and Y. Hu, "Effect of electron beam irradiation and microencapsulation on the flame retardancy of ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer materials during hot water ageing test", Radiat. Phys. Chem., 133, 1 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2016.11.018
- S. K. Datta, T. K. Chaki, and D. Khastgir, "Effect of electron beam radiation on mechanical and electrical properties of poly (ethylene-co-vinyl acetate)", Macromol. Mater. Eng., 238, 105 (1996).
- Y. Goutille, C. Carrot, J-C. Majeste, and F. Prochazka, "Crosslinking in the melt of EVA using tetrafunctional silane: gel time from capillary rheometry", Polymer, 44, 3165 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(03)00259-3
- A. A. Basfar, J. Mosnacek, T. M. Shukri, M. A. Bahattab, P. Noireaux, and A. Courdreuse, "Mechanical and thermal properties of blends of low-density polyethylene and ethylene vinyl acetate crosslinked by both dicumyl peroxide and ionizing radiation for wire and cable applications", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 107, 642 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.27114
- X. Wu, L. Wang, C. Wu, J. Yu, L. Xie, G. Wang, and P. Jiang, "Influence of char residues on flammability of EVA/EG, EVA/NG and EVA/GO composites", Polym. Degrad. Stab., 97, 54 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2011.10.011
- S. K. Datta, T. K. Chaki, and A. K. Bhowmick, "Electron beam initiated grafting and crosslinking of ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer. Part-I: structural characterization", Rubber Chem. Technol., 69, 120 (1996). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3538352
- S-S. Choi and Y. Y. Chung, "Considering factors for analysis of crosslink density of poly(ethylene-co-vinyl acetate) compounds", Polym. Test., 66, 312 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2018.01.038
- K. Thaworn, P. Buahom, and S. Areerat, "Effects of organic peroxides on the curing behavior of EVA encapsulant resin", Open J. Polym. Chem., 2, 77 (2012). https://doi.org/10.4236/ojpchem.2012.22010
- L. D. Loan, "Crosslinking efficiencies of dicumyl peroxide in unsaturated synthetic rubbers", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 7, 2259 (1963). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.1963.070070624
- O. Mlejnek, "Analysis of volatiles in polymers by gas chromatography", J. Chromatogr., 65, 271 (1972). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(00)86941-1
- S. J. Oh and J. L. Koenig, "Solid-state NMR studies of cis-1,4-polyisoprene crosslinked with dicumyl peroxide in the presence of triallyl cyanurate", J. Polym. Sci. B, 38, 1417 (2000).
- S. M. Tamboli, S. T. Mhaske, and D. D. Kale, "Crosslinked polyethylene", Indian J. Chem. Technol., 11, 853 (2004).