- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Review on Clinical Research Trends in the Treatment of Hatha-Style Yoga for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
외상후 스트레스장애에 대한 하타 스타일 요가 치료의 해외 임상연구 동향
- Hong, Hee-Yeon (Department of Neuropsychiatry, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University) ;
- Hong, Min-Ho (Department of Neuropsychiatry, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University) ;
- Koo, Byung-Su (Department of Neuropsychiatry, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University) ;
- Kim, Geun-Woo (Department of Neuropsychiatry, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University)
- 홍희연 (동국대학교 한의과대학 한방신경정신과학교실) ;
- 홍민호 (동국대학교 한의과대학 한방신경정신과학교실) ;
- 구병수 (동국대학교 한의과대학 한방신경정신과학교실) ;
- 김근우 (동국대학교 한의과대학 한방신경정신과학교실)
- Received : 2020.03.08
- Accepted : 2020.03.25
- Published : 2020.03.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to review the research trends in the treatment of hatha-style yoga on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Methods: We searched articles in Pubmed and the China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) January 2010-December 2019, for studies to treat PTSD using hatha-style yoga. Selected studies were evaluated by the CLEAR-NPT (A Checklist to Evaluate a Report of a Non-pharmacological Trial). Results: Seven randomized controlled clinical trials were selected. PSS-I (PTSD Symptom Scale-Interview) was the most frequently used as diagnostic criteria. The PCL (PTSD Checklist) was also the most commonly used outcome measurement. Of the seven articles, most studies reported that hatha-style yoga was effective to reduce symptoms of PTSD. Conclusions: Hatha-style yoga practice intervention can be used to relieve symptoms of PTSD. More studies should be conducted to make hatha-style yoga as protocol (complementary therapy) for PTSD patients.
Supported by : Ministry of Health & Welfare
- American Psychiatric A. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fifth Edition. Washington, DC. American Psychiatric Publishing. 2013:271-80.
- American Psychiatric A. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing. 2000:81,309.
- 2016 The Survey of Mental Disorders in Korea. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Samsung Medical Center. 2016.
- Min SG. Modern Psychiatry. Seoul. Iljogak. 2015:396.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health homepage https://nccih.nih.gov/health/integrativehealth
- Kim SH, Schneider SM, Kravitz L, Mermier C, Burge MR. Mind-body practices for posttraumatic stress disorder. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2013;61(5):827-34.
- Cabral P, Meyer HB, Ames D. Effectiveness of Yoga Therapy as a Complementary Treatment for Major Psychiatric Disorders: A Meta-Analysis. The Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders. 2011;13(4):PCC.10r01068.
- Janakiramaiah N, Gangadhar BN, Naga Venkatesha Murthy PJ, Harish MG, Subbakrishna DK, Vedamurthachar A. Antidepressant efficacy of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) in melancholia: a randomized comparison with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and imipramine. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2000;57(1-3):255-9.
- Panebianco M, Sridharan K, Ramaratnam S. Yoga for epilepsy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2017 Oct 5;10:CD001524. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001524.pub3.
- Varambally S, Gangadhar BN, Thirthalli J, Jagannathan A, Kumar S, Venkatasubramanian G, Muralidhar D, Subbakrishna DK, Nagendra HR. Therapeutic efficacy of add-on yogasana intervention in stabilized outpatient schizophrenia: Randomized controlled comparison with exercise and waitlist. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2012;54(3):227-32.
- Gallegos AM, Crean HF, Pigeon WR, Heffner KL. Meditation and yoga for posttraumatic stress disorder: A metaanalytic review of randomized controlled trials. Clinical Psychology Review. 2017;58:115-24.
- Sciarrino NA, DeLucia C, O'Brien K, McAdams K. Assessing the Effectiveness of Yoga as a Complementary and Alternative Treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Review and Synthesis, The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2017;23(10):747-55.
- Cramer H, Anheyer D, Saha FJ, Dobos G. Yoga for posttraumatic stress disorder - a systematic review and metaanalysis. BMC Psychiatry. 2018 Mar 22. doi: 10.1186/s12888-018-1650-x.
- Riley D. Hatha yoga and the treatment of illness. Alternative Therapies In Health And Medicine. 2004;10(2):20-1.
- Nina M, Christina A, Tina M. HATHA YOGA: Benefits and Principles for a More Meaningful Practice. ACSMs Health & Fitness Journal. 2010;14(5):19-24.
- Bishop SR, Lau M, Shapiro S, Carlson L, Anderson ND, Carmody J, Segal ZV, Abbey S, Speca M, Velting D, Devins G. Mindfulness: a proposed Operational definition. Clinical psychology. 2006;11(3):230-41.
- van der Kolk BA, Stone L, West J, Rhodes A, Emerson D, Suvak M, Spinazzola J. Yoga as an adjunctive treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2014;75(6):e559-65.
- Mitchell KS, Dick AM, DiMartino DM, Smith BN, Niles B, Koenen KC, Street A. A pilot study of a randomized controlled trial of yoga as an intervention for PTSD symptoms in women. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2014;27(2):121-8.
- Dick AM, Niles BL, Street AE, DiMartino DM, Mitchell KS. Examining mechanisms of change in a yoga intervention for women: the influence of mindfulness, psychological flexibility, and emotion regulation on PTSD symptoms. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2014;70(12):1170-82.
- Reddy S, Dick AM, Gerber MR, Mitchell K. The effect of a yoga intervention on alcohol and drug abuse risk in veteran and civilian women with posttraumatic stress disorder. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2014;20(10):750-6.
- Martin EC, Dick AM, Scioli-Salter ER, Mitchell KS. Impact of a Yoga Intervention on Physical Activity, Self-Efficacy, and Motivation in Women with PTSD Symptoms. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2015;21(6):327-32.
- Culver KA, Whetten K, Boyd DL, O'Donnell K. Yoga to Reduce Trauma-Related Distress and Emotional and Behavioral Difficulties Among Children Living in Orphanages in Haiti: A Pilot Study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2015;21(9):539-45.
- Reinhardt KM, Noggle Taylor JJ, Johnston J, Zameer A, Cheema S, Khalsa SBS. Kripalu Yoga for Military Veterans With PTSD: A Randomized Trial. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2018;74(1):93-108.
- Rosenbaum S, Vancampfort D, Steel Z, Newby J, Ward PB, Stubbs B. Physical activity in the treatment of Posttraumatic stress disorder: A systematic review and metaanalysis. Psychiatry Research. 2015;230(2):130-6.
- Kelly UA, Evans DD, Baker H, Noggle Taylor J. Determining Psychoneuroimmunologic Markers of Yoga as an Intervention for Persons Diagnosed With PTSD: A Systematic Review. Biological Research For Nursing. 2018;20(3):343-51.
- Seppala EM, Nitschke JB, Tudorascu DL, Hayes A, Goldstein MR, Nguyen DT, Perlman D, Davidson RJ. Breathingbased meditation decreases posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in U.S. military veterans: a randomized controlled longitudinal study. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2014;27(4):397-405.
- Rhodes A, Spinazzola J, van der Kolk B. Yoga for Adult Women with Chronic PTSD: A Long-Term Follow-Up Study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2016;22(3):189-96.
- Ulug N, Yilmaz OT, Kara M, Ozcakar L. Effects of Pilates and yoga in patients with chronic neck pain: A sonographic study. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2018;50(1):80-5.
- Kim JW. Korean Medicine Based on Psychotherapy for Healing the Spirit. Seoul. Hakjisa. 2006:58-79.
- National Oriental Medical College Neuropsychology Textbook Compilation Committee. Korean Neuropsychology. Seoul. Jipmoondang. 2012:25,641,712-21.
- Schell FJ, Allolio B, Schonecke OW. Physiological and psychological effects of Hatha-Yoga exercise in healthy women. International Journal of Psychophysiology. 1994;41(1-4):46-52.
- Berenz EC, Vujanovic AA, Coffey SF, Zvolensky MJ. Anxiety sensitivity and breath-holding duration in relation to PTSD symptom severity among trauma exposed adults. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. 2012;26(1):134-9.
- Lee TI, Yang JJ. Hatha Yoga. Sports Research Review. 2011;113:1-6.
- David E, Ritu S, Serena C, Jenn T. Trauma-Sensitive Yoga: Principles, Practice, and Research. International journal of yoga therapy. 2009;19(1):123-8.
- Sim JB. The Healing Techniques of Mind and Soul in The Forest Yoga. Journal of Yoga Studies. 2017;18:47-76.
- Yeo DG, Lee JE, Hwang AY. Tao flow Yoga II. Seoul. Yoga journal korea. 2019:4.