- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Congestion Change of Dual Airways between Korea-China
한·중 항로 복선화 전후 혼잡도 변화 연구
- Received : 2020.02.17
- Accepted : 2020.03.26
- Published : 2020.03.31
A significant growth in local air traffic volume is leading to airway congestion and flight delays especially for Incheon-China and Incheon-Europe sectors. A key method to increase the airway capacity is to place a supplemental airway parallel to the existing one and in cooperation between the aviation authorities between China and Korea, a dual airway track was implemented on December 6, 2018. Here, we use airline A's flight data to analyze the congestion change effect of the new airway. Results show total delay time to Europe is reduced 51% (13.4 to 6.6 minutes) as the delay distribution for 16-30 minutes, 31 minutes and greater decreased from 23.2% to 8.2% and 8.7% to 1.0% respectively. The delay to China also decreased but the drop is not as significant as flights to Europe. This is caused by the difference in flight distance, traffic volume, and characteristics of flights landing and transiting China. Flights to Europe show a broad distribution in altitude allocation and reduction in aircraft separation demonstrating the effectiveness of a dual airway track.
- Aviation Statistics, Korea Airports Corporation, www.airport.co.kr
- Kim, S., "The structure and functional improvement plan of airways in Korea", MS Thesis, Department of Transportation and Logistics, Graduate School of International Trade and Logistics, Inha University, Incheon, 2004. 2, pp. 49-52.
- Maeng, S., Park, S., and Lee, K., "A study on the improvement of west sea airways between Korea and China", Journal of the Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, 19(4), 2011, pp. 111-116. https://doi.org/10.12985/KSAA.2011.19.4.111
- Park, J., Ku, S., and Baik, H., "Analysis on the efficiency of aircraft operations on dual airways", Korean Society of Transportation, 69th Conference, Gongju, Chungcheongnam-do, Oct. 25-26, 2013, pp. 592-595.
- Han, S., Pei, C., Sui, D., and Zuo, L., "Security analysis of area navigation parallel airway", Acta Aeronautica Et Astronautica Sinica, 27(6), 2006, pp. 1023-1027. https://doi.org/10.3321/j.issn:1000-6893.2006.06.007
- Liu, J., Zhang, Z., and Shen, J., "Assessment of lateral collision risk of parallel routes based on CNS performances", Aeronautical Computing Technique, 39(5), 2009, pp. 14-18. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1671-654X.2009.05.004
- Zhang, Z., Liu, J., and Wang, L., "Assessment of longitudinal collision risk on parallel routes based on communication, navigation, and surveillance performances", Journal of Southwest Jiaotong University, 44(6), 2009, pp. 918-925. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.0258-2724.2009.06.021
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Republic of Korea, "Korea-China Dual Airway Presentation", 2018.
- Association of Asia Pacific Airlines, www.aapa airlines.org
- Flight Delay Improvement Task Force, "2019 Total Delay Status and Improvement Plan", Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 2020.