- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Operational Control Center's Service Quality on Airline Staff's Job Engagement
종합통제센터의 서비스품질이 항공사 직원의 직무몰입에 미치는 영향
- 김효중 (가톨릭관동대학교 항공경영물류학과)
- Received : 2020.02.17
- Accepted : 2020.03.26
- Published : 2020.03.31
Here I investigate what effects Operational Control Center(OCC)'s service quality may have on airline staff's job engagement. My analysis reveals that airline OCC's service quality has a meaningful effect on airline staff's service satisfaction, and that service satisfaction mediates a meaningful effect on staff's job engagement. It was suggested that improving OCC's service quality leads to higher staff's job engagement. Accordingly, I suggest methods of improving OCC's service quality. I find that the importance of contributing factors on OCC's service quality are as follows, in order of most to least important: professionalism, assurance, empathy, reliability, organizational culture, and responsiveness. The results of this study are relevant not only for airlines but also for government agencies such as the National Emergency Management Agency, the Korea Forest Service, the National Police Agency and the Korea Coast Guard that operate aircraft and must ensure aviation safety.
- Korea Civil Aviation Association, Daily Aviation Internet News Briefing, Article 3259, Feb. 2020.
- Kim, H. J., and Lee, Y. H., "The effect of service quality of the integrated control center on the commitment of airline employees -Focused on mediating effect of service satisfaction-", Journal of the Aviation Management Society of Korea, 16(2), 2018, pp. 17-20. https://doi.org/10.30529/amsok.2018.16.2.002
- Miller, E. J., and Rice, A. K., "Systems of Organization: The Control of Task and Sentient Boundaries", Routledge, New York, 2013, pp. 185-192.
- Kim, J. S., Kim, K. W., Kim, H. Y., and Park, S. S., "A study on the quality assessment of baggage handling system at Incheon International Airport - Using SERVQUAL model", Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Flight Operation, 26(4), 2019, pp. 1-12.
- Na, E. J., Kim, K. W., Yoon, Y. P., and Park, S. S., "A research on premium in-flight service by enhancing service quality focusing on K-Airline's passengers and cabin crews", Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Flight Operation, 19(1), 2011, pp. 74-87.
- Mazzeo, M. J., "Competition and service quality in the US airline industry" , Review of Industrial Organization, 22(4), 2003, pp. 275-296. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025565122721
- Tiernan, S., Rhoades, D. L., and Waguespack, B., "Airline service quality", Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 2008, 45, 168-170.
- Kim, H. J., "The effect of service quality of operations control center on the service satisfaction and job engagement of airline employees", Ph.D. Thesis, Korea Aerospace University, Ko Yang, South Korea, Aug 2018.
- Chen, C. F., "Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and flight attendants' turnover intentions: A note", Journal of Air Transport Management, 12(5), 2006, pp. 274-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2006.05.001
- Curtis, T., Rhoades, D. L., and Waguespack Jr, B. P., "Satisfaction with airline service quality: Familiarity breeds contempt", International Journal of Aviation Management, 1(4), 2012, pp. 242-243. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJAM.2012.050472
- Kim, H, J., "Improving operational control center service quality for airlines based in South Korea", Journal of Product Research, 37(5), 2019, pp. 255-257. https://doi.org/10.36345/kacst.2019.37.5.026
- Warr, P., and Inceoglu, I. "Job engagement, job satisfaction, and contrasting associations with person-job fit", Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 17(2), 2012, pp. 129-137. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026859
- Schaufeli, W. B., "What is Engagement? In Employee Engagement in Theory and Practice", Routledge, New York, 2013, pp. 29-49.
- Kong, Y., "A study on the job engagement of company employees", International Journal of Psychological Studies, 1(2), 2009, pp. 65-66. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijps.v1n2p65
- Lauring, J., and Selmer, J., "Job engagement and work outcomes in a cognitively demanding context", Personnel Review, 2015, 12(4), pp. 67-68.
- Rich, B. L., Lepine, J. A., and Crawford, E. R., "Job engagement: Antecedents and effects on job performance", Academy of Management Journal, 53(3), (2010). pp. 617-618. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2010.51468988
- Vance, R. J., "Employee Engagement and Commitment", SHRM Foundation, Ohio, pp. 40-41.
- Karatepe, O. M., "Procedural justice, work engagement, and job outcomes: Evidence from Nigeria", Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 20(8), 2011, pp. 855-858. https://doi.org/10.1080/19368623.2011.577688
- Lee, H. Y., and Noh, S. C., "Advanced Statistical Analysis: Theory and Practice", Moonwoosa, Seoul, 2016, pp. 185-194.
- Santos, J., "E-service quality: A model of virtual service quality dimensions", Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 45(1), 2003, pp. 27-30.
- Miller, E. J., and Rice, A. K., "Systems of Organization: The Control of Task and Sentient Boundaries", Routledge, New York, 2013, pp. 402-410.
- De Wulf, K., Odekerken-Schroder, G., and Iacobucci, D., "Investments in consumer relationships: A cross-country and cross-industry exploration", Journal of Marketing, 65(4), 2001, 33-34. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.12486
- Lee, Y. J., "The effects of beauty service industry employees' job satisfaction on perception of service quality by customers", Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetics Society, 2012, 10(1), pp. 82-83.
- GormIey, D. K., "Factors affecting job satisfaction in nurse faculty: A meta-analysis", Journal of Nursing Education, 42(4), 2003, pp. 174-178.
- Waqas, A., et al., "Factors influencing job satisfaction and its impact on job loyalty", International Journal of Learning and Development, 4(2), 2004, pp. 141-144.
- Preacher, K. J., and Leonardelli, G. J., "Calculation for the Sobel test", Retrieved Jan. 20. 2001, pp. 89-90.