- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Configuration Modeling and Aerodynamic Analysis of Small Airplanes for Flight Training
교육용 소형 항공기의 형상 모델링과 공력 분석에 관한 연구
- 조환기 (청주대학교 항공학부 항공운항학과)
- Received : 2020.03.01
- Accepted : 2020.03.26
- Published : 2020.03.31
This paper presents comparative results of configuration modeling and aerodynamic analysis to single-engine airplanes such as C-172, SR-20, and DA40NG. The software OpenVSP was used as an airplane configuration modeling tool. OpenVSP can provide the fastest method to get three-dimensional aircraft configuration from given basic data and drawings of aircraft. Parametric design input in OpenVSP, from given aircraft geometric parameters, was applied to small airplanes mentioned. New aircraft models in this study were reversely designed to coincide with the publicly obtained dimensions of the original aircraft. The basic aerodynamic analysis of newly designed modeling aircraft was performed by the vortex lattice method. Results are shown that the similarity of aerodynamic data obtained except for the lack of DA40NG. In conclusion, the modeling process applied to this work is valuable to obtain conceptual design insight in the reverse design from the small airplanes currently in use for flight training.
Supported by : 청주대학교
- Cheong, B. at el., "Configuration analysis in detail design stage of KLA-100 light aircraft", Proceedings of 2015 KSAA Fall Conference, KSAA, 2015, pp. 29-31.
- Manoviraj, S. S., Arjun, S., and Govindha, R. N., "Performance improvement study of CESSNA-172 aircraft using CFD", International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology (IJMET), 8(9), Sep. 2017, pp. 414-424.
- Andrew, S. H., "Vehicle sketch pad: A parametric geometry modeler for conceptual aircraft design", AIAA, 2010.
- Airplane Flight Manual DA40NG, Diamond Aircraft Industry, pp. 1-5,6, 2010.
- Cho, H., "Design of the airplane for flight training and analysis of aerodynamic characteristics by the vortex lattice method", 2019 KSAA Fall Conference, KSAA. 2019, pp. 88-90.
- Cho, H., "A study on the aerodynamic analysis and the design of light airplane for flight training", Journal of Industrial Science, Cheongju University, 37(2), 2020, pp. 135-141.
- Gloudemans, http://hangar.openvsp.org/, 2020.2.20. Accessed.
- William, J. F., Kevin, R. A., et al., "Aircraft conceptual design using vehicle sketch pad", AIAA 2010.
- Robert, K., "Computation of vortex sheet rollup in the Trefftz plane", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 184, 1987, pp. 123-155. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112087002830
- Brandon, L. K. R., "VSP Aircraft Analysis User Manual", NASA 2014.
- William, J. F., Kevin, R. A., Guillermo, C., Nachiket, D., Mark, D. M. E. A., San, M., and Alison, N. S., "Aircraft conceptual design using vehicle sketch pad, NASA langley research center", AIAA paper,
- Aircraft Design Education Research Group, Aircraft Conceptual Design, KyoungMoon Co., Seoul, 2018.