- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of Switching and Heating Devices in Embedded Rack Track for Environmental-friendly Mountain Railway
친환경 산악철도 매립형 궤도의 선로전환기 및 히팅장치 개발
- Seo, Sung-il (Division of Advanced Railroad Vehicle, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- 서승일 (한국철도기술연구원 차세대철도차량본부)
- Received : 2019.10.23
- Accepted : 2020.02.07
- Published : 2020.02.29
Eco-friendly mountain railways operate on concrete rack tracks embedded on existing sharp curved and steep roads to preserve the environment in mountainous areas. Owing to the narrow roads, single lines are inevitable, and many branches are required. In branches, previous switchers and heating devices cannot be applied, because of the limited spacing for the rack and the slow removal of thick ice. To solve these problems, a switch and a heating device have been developed. The switcher changes the line by moving the block of concrete track with hydraulic actuators. The lack of discontinuity reduces the derailment risk and makes locking simple. The heating device uses high frequency induction coils to increase the efficiency and melt the thick ice rapidly. The prototype switcher and heating device were produced and operated to prove their performance. The heating device yielded a 10 times greater efficiency than the previous one. The switcher and heating device are the essential core technologies for the operation of mountain trams in winter and contribute to the spread of mountain railways to domestic or foreign resort areas by enhancing safety and efficiency. In addition, they can provide transportation rights to local residents in poor winter traffic, and bring about tourism and local economic growth.
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- MOLIT, MJ81 type point machine, Korean Railway Standards, KRS SG 0027-17R, Korea, pp. 1-8, 2006.
- KR, Heating system for switch, Standards of Korea Rail Network Authority, KRSA-1011-R0, Korea, pp. 1-20, 2016.
- S. I. Seo, H. S. Mun, "Development of technologies for mountain trams driven through sharp curves", Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 33, No.5, pp. 2019-2027, May 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-019-0404-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-019-0404-0
- J. S. Lee, S. I. Seo, Technology survey of oversea railway operation and maintenance, Report of oversea business trip, Trip2016426, Korea Railroad Research Institute, Korea, pp.11-13, 2016.
- I. H. Min, B. Kim, K. W. Chung, S. C. Roh, "Development of a constant power AC/DC converter for point heat equipments", Proceedings of Fall 2013 Conference of Korean Society for Railway, KSR2013A189, pp. 753-759, 2013.
- Y. S. Kim, Rack heating device of mountain railway, Certificate of Test, TIC 250 18100101, TUV Rheinland, Korea, pp. 1-2, 2018.
- MOLIT, Regulations for facilities in construction of track infrastructure, No. 2013-415, Ministry of land and Transport, Korea, pp. 35-36, 2013.