- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Feasibility of Bladder Compression Molded Prepreg as Small Wind Turbine Blade Material
소형 풍력 터빈 블레이드 재료로서 블래더 가압 방식 몰드 성형 프리프레그의 타당성
- Yi, Bo-Gun (Department of Mechanical, Robotics and Energy Engineering, Dongguk Univ.) ;
- Seo, Seong-Won (Energy Storage System Development Part, LG Electronics) ;
- Song, Myung-Ho (Department of Mechanical, Robotics and Energy Engineering, Dongguk Univ.)
- Received : 2019.12.08
- Accepted : 2019.12.19
- Published : 2020.04.30
The wind turbine blades should be designed to possess a high stiffness and should be fabricated with a light and high strength material because they serve under extreme combination of lift and drag forces, converting kinetic energy of wind into shaft work. The goal of this study is to understand the basic knowledge required to curtail the process time consumed during the construction of small wind turbine blades using carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) prepeg composites. The configuration of turbine rotor was determined using the QBlade freeware program. The fluid dynamics module simulated the loads exerted by the wind of a specific speed, and the stress analysis module predicted the distributions of equivalent von Mises stress for representing the blade structures. It was suggested to modify the shape of test specimen from ASTM D638 to decrease the variance in measured tensile strengths. Then, a series of experiments were performed to confirm that the bladder compression molded CFRP prepreg can provide sufficient strength to small wind turbine blades and decrease the cure time simultaneously.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- Czel, G., Jalavand, M., Wisnom, M.R. (2016) Hybrid Specimens Eliminating Stress Concentrations in Tensile and Compressive Testing of Unidirectional Composites, Compos.: Part A, 91, pp.436-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2016.07.021
- Davim, J.P., Reis, P. (2005) Damage and Dimensional Precision on Milling Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics Using Design Experiments, J. Mater. Proc. Technol., 160, pp.160-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2004.06.003
- Dvorak, P. (2017) Small Wind Market Size Worth $1.79 Billion by 2025, CAGR: 14.3%: Grand View Research Inc., www.windpowerengineering.com/small-wind-market-size.
- Harman, A., Risborg, A., Wang, C.H. (2008) Experimental Testing of BMI Lamenates with Stress Concentrations and the Evaluation of SIFT to Predict Failure, Compos. Struct., 86, pp.85-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2008.03.035
- Herzog, D., J aesch ke, P., Meier, O ., H aferkamp, H. (2008) Investigations on the Thermal Effect Caused by Laser Cutting with Respect to Static Strength of CFRP, Int. J. Mach. Tools & Manuf., 48, pp.1464-1473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2008.04.007
- Jureczko, M., Pawlak, M., Mezyk, A. (2005) Optimization of Wind Turbine Blades, J. Mater. Proc. Technol., 167, pp.463-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.06.055
- Kashfuddoja, M., Prasath, R.G.R., Ramji, M. (2014) Study on Experimental Characterization of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Panel Using Digital Image Correlation: A Sensitivity Analysis, Opt. & Lasers Eng., 62, pp.71-30.
- Korea Wind Energy Industry Association (KWEIA) (2018) 2018 Annual Report on Wind Energy Industry in Korea, KWEIA Report.
- Martin, D. (2018) QBlade Short Manual, http://www.q-blade.org/.
- Mone, C., Hand, M., Bolinger, M., Rand, J., Heimiller, D., Ho, J. (2017) 2015 Cost of Wind Energy Review, Technical Report, NREL/TP-6A20-66861, p.10.
- Noh, H.C., Yoon, Y.C. (2010) Effect of Random Poisson's Ratio on the Response Variability of Composite Plates, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 23(6), pp.727-738.
- Paiva, J.M.F., Mayer, S., Rezende, M.C. (2006) Comparison of Tensile Strength of Different Carbon Fabric Reinforced Epoxy Composites, Mater. Res., 9(1), pp.83-89. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-14392006000100016
- Schubel, P.J., Crossley, R.J. (2012) Wind Turbine Blade Design, Energ., 5, pp.3425-3447.
- Tang, X., Huang, X., Peng, R., Liu, X. (2015) A Direct Approach of Design Optimization for Small Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine Blades, CIRP 25th Design Conference Innovative Product Creation, pp.12-16.
- Weinert, K., Kempmann, C. (2004) Cutting Temperatures and Their Effects on the Machining Behaviour in Drilling Reinforced Plastic Composites, Adv. Eng. Mater., 6(8), pp.684-689. https://doi.org/10.1002/adem.200400025