- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Operational Efficiency among Long-Term Care Visiting Nursing Centers using Data Envelopment Analysis
자료포락분석을 이용한 노인장기요양 방문간호센터 운영의 효율성 평가
- Lim, Ji Young (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Kim, Seonhee (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Oh, Eunsook (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Song, Su Young (Department of Nursing, Inha University)
- Received : 2020.03.01
- Accepted : 2020.03.30
- Published : 2020.04.30
Purpose: The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficiency of long-term care visiting nursing centers in communities using data envelopment analysis (DEA). Methods: Data were collected using a self-reported questionnaire. The average number of staff per 6 months and total space of center were used as input variables. The average number of clients per 6 months and the average profits per 6 months were used as output variables. EMS Window version 3.1 was used to measure the efficiency scores. Descriptive statistics and tobit regression were applied to analyze the general characteristics of the variables and the factors affecting efficiency scores. Results: The average efficiency of 30 long-term care visiting nursing centers in communities was approximately 66.9% on technical efficiency analysis, and 79.1% on scale efficiency analysis. Eight nursing centers on technical efficiency analysis and 12 centers on scale efficiency analysis had 100.0% efficiency. Conclusion: Our findings reveal that long-term care visiting nursing centers in communities have low operational efficiency. Therefore, it is essential to institute policies and regulations to improve the efficiency of visiting nursing centers and to strengthen the business competencies of center officers.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2017 A survey of the elderly [Internet]. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2020 [cited 2019 August 16]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/jb/sjb030301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=032901&CONT_SEQ=344953
- Lee, SH. Feeling of family caregivers' burden with elder inpatients in geriatric hospitals. Journal of the Korean Academy of Health and Welfare for Elderly. 2010;2(1):69-92.
- Seo BC. A study on a linkaged model of a visiting service for the aged in home: the case of linkage to welfare service and visiting care service [master's thesis]. Daejeon: Mokwon University; 2002. 61 p.
- Kwon JH, Han EJ, Lee JS. Long-term care service standard benefit model redesign. Research Report. National Health Insurance Corporation, 2011 November. Report No.: 2011-13.
- Park JY, Lee YH, Kwon JH, Lee EM, Lee HY, Kim YH. The development of integrated care model of long term care & medical service. Research Report. National Health Insurance Corporation, 2010 October. Report No.: 2010-18.
- Lim JY, Kim EJ, Choi KW, Lee JS, Noh, WJ. Analysis of barriers and activating factors of visiting nursing in long-term care insurance. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2012;12(8):283-299. https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2012.12.08.283
- Long-term care benefits by city, county and district, by grades, and service types 2013-2018 [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2019 [cited 2020 March 1]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsListIndex.do?menuId=M_01_01&vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01&statId=2011038&themaId=D#SelectStatsBoxDiv
- Jeong GH. Knowledge and perceptions on visiting nursing service needs among workers in long-term care insurance institutions [master's thesis]. Jeonnam: Jeonnam National University; 2010. 48 p.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Fully amended draft and full text of long-term care benefits [Internet]. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2014 [cited 2019 October 20]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/jb/sjb0406vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=030406&CONT_SEQ=321974
- Kim MH. Roles of visiting nurses defined based on long-term care insurance regulation for the elderly. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. 2009;23(2):232-250.
- Park CS. Visiting nurses' services under the long-term care insurance system for the elderly. Health & Nursing. 2009;21(1):64-72.
- Lee JS, Han EJ, Kang IO. The characteristics and service utilization of home nursing care beneficiaries under the korean long term care insurance. Journal Korean Academy Community Health Nursing. 2011;22(1):33-44. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.1.33
- Kim CJ, Kim YS, Kang HY, Park JH, Sung MS, Woo YJ. Development of home care quality indicators (HCQIs) at demonstration project of elderly care insurance program in Korea. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2008;28(2):377-394.
- Lee SY, Lim JY. Evaluation of the efficiency of general nursing units using data envelopment analysis (DEA). Journal of Korean Academic Society of Home Health Care Nursing. 2011;18(2):118-125.
- Yoo KR. Data envelopment analysis for assessing the relative efficiency of public sector. Journal of Jeonbuk Administration. 2000;14(2):1-20.
- Suck YK. A study of evaluation of non-profit organization using DEA. Sun Moon Journal of Social Sciences. 2000;3:263-278.
- Charnes A, Cooper W, Rhodes E. Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. European Journal of Operational Research. 1978;2(6):429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Jeong HS, Lee KH. Efficiency of public hospitals and their social role. Korean Journal of Health Policy and Administration. 1996;6(2):1-13.
- Yun K. Using DEA to measure the public sector efficiency: a review and proposal. Journal of Governmental Studies. 2003;9(2):7-31.
- Jeong SB. An efficiency analysis of the long-term care facilities using DEA model. Journal of the Korean Society of Computer and Information. 2015;20(6):141-150. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2015.20.6.141
- Jeong SB, Lee JW. 17 cities provinces area analysis of efficiency of visiting medical care business. Journal of Regional Studies. 2019;27(1):49-66. https://doi.org/10.31324/jrs.2019.03.27.1.49
- Park BS, Lee YK, Kim YS. Efficiency evaluation of general hospitals using DEA. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2019;9(4):299-312. https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2009.9.4.299
- Kim JH. The study on the measurement of the community center' efficiency by DEA: the case of Seoul in Korea [master's thesis]. Seoul: Dongguk University; 2006. p. 37-53.
- Banker RD, Charnes A, Cooper WW. Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis. Management science. 1984;30(9):1078-1092. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.9.1078
- Dailymedi. Postpone integrated service, add preliminary business [Internet]. Seoul: Dailymedi; 2019 [cited 2019 November 2]. Available from: http://www.dailymedi.com/detail.php?number=845536
- Park YH, Lim JY. Performance evaluation of nurses in general wards using data envelopment analysis (DEA). The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Home Care Nursing. 2018;25(1):67-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.22705/jkashcn.2018.25.1.067
- Im HB, Lim JY. Evaluation of efficiency of outpatient clinic in a general hospital using data envelopment analysis (DEA). The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Home Care Nursing. 2012;19(1):11-18.
- Guide to long-term care insurance [Internet]. Kangwon: Long Term Care Insurance; 2020 [cited 2020 April 6]. Available from: http://www.longtermcare.or.kr/npbs/e/b/101/npeb101m01.web?menuId=npe0000000030&zoomSize=
- Lim JY, Kim JH, Park YS. A mid-to long-term plans for the supply of long-term care workers in a changing population structure, Chapter 5. Policy Report. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2020 March. Report No.: 2019-24.
- Lim JY, Kim EJ, Choi KW, Park JD, Noh WJ. Analysis of barriers and activating factors of visiting nursing in long-term care insurance. Research Report. National Health Insurance Corporation, 2011 December. Report No.: none.