- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on stability and design guidelines for the combined system of scaffolds and shores
- Peng, Jui-Lin (Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, National Yunlin University of Science & Technology) ;
- Wang, Chung-Sheng (Graduate School of Engineering Science and Technology, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wang, Shu-Hong (School of Resource and Civil Engineering, Northeastern University) ;
- Chan, Siu-Lai (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University)
- Received : 2019.09.05
- Accepted : 2020.04.11
- Published : 2020.05.10
Since the scaffold is composed of modular members, the total height of multi-story scaffolds does not often meet with the headroom of construction buildings. At this time, other supporting members need to be set up on the top of scaffolds. However, the mechanical behaviors of the combined system of scaffolds and other supporting members have seldom been discussed. This study explores the stability of the combined system of scaffolds and shores. The loading tests conducted in the laboratory show that the critical load of the combined system of two-story scaffolds and wooden shores is about half that of the three-story scaffold system with the same height. In the failure of both the "scaffold system" and the "combined system of scaffolds and shores' after loading, the deformation mainly occurs in the in-plane direction of the scaffold. The outdoor loading test shows that no failure occurs on any members when the combined system fails. Instead, the whole system buckles and then collapses. In addition, the top formwork of the combined system can achieve the effect of lateral support reinforcement with small lateral support forces in the outdoor loading test. This study proposes the preliminary design guidelines for the scaffolding structural design.
- Blazik-Borowa, E. and Gontarz, J. (2016), "The Influence of the Dimension and Configuration of Geometric Imperfections on the Static Strength of a Typical Facade Scaffolding", Archiv. Civil Mech, Eng., 16(3), 269-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acme.2015.11.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acme.2015.11.003
- Chandrangsu, T. and Rasmussen, K.J.R. (2011), "Structural Modelling of Support Scaffold Systems", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(5), 866-875. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.12.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.12.007
- Chan, Jake L.Y. and Lo, S.H. (2019), "Direct analysis of steel frames with asymmetrical semi-rigid joints", Steel Compos. Struct., 31(1), 99-112. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2019.31.1.099.
- Chan, S.L. and Zhou, Z.H. A., (1994), "Pointwise equilibrium polynomial (pep) element for nonlinear analysis of frame", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 120(6), 1703-1717. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:6(1703). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:6(1703)
- Chan, S.L., Zhou, Z.H., Chen, W.F., Peng, J.L. and Pan, A.D., (1995), "Stability Analysis of Semi-rigid Steel Scaffolding", Eng. Struct., 17(8), 568-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00011-U. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00011-U
- Cimellaro, G.P. and Domaneschi, M. (2017), "Stability Analysis of Different Types of Steel Scaffolds", Eng. Struct., 152(1), 535-548. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.07.091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.07.091
- Gohnert, M., Li, K. and Son, K.S. (2016), "Experimental Investigation on the Load Capacity of a Scaffolding Frame", Int. J. Eng. Tech., 8(6), 2460-2467. DOI:10.21817/ijet/2016/v8i6/160806198 https://doi.org/10.21817/ijet/2016/v8i6/160806198
- Ilcik, J., Arora, V. and Dolejs, J. (2016), "Design of new scaffold anchor based on the updated finite element model", Eng. Struct., 118(1), 334-343. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.03.064. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.03.064
- Jia, L., Liu, H., Chen, Z., Liu, Q. and Wen, S. (2016), "Mechanical Properties of Right-Angle Couplers in Steel Tube-Coupler Scaffolds", J. Constr. Steel Res., 125, 43-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.06.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.06.005
- Kuo, C.C., Peng, J.L., Yen, T. and Chan, S.L (2008), "Experimental Study of Modular Falsework System with Wooden Shores under Various Path Loads", Adv. Struct. Eng., 11(4), 369-382. http://dx.doi.org/10.1260/136943308785836844. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943308785836844
- Liu, H., Chen, Z., Wang, X. and Zhou, T. (2010a), "Theoretical analysis and experimental research on stability behavior of structural steel tube and coupler falsework with X-bracing", Adv. Steel Constr., 6(4), 949-962. DOI:10.18057/IJASC.2010.6.4.2
- Liu, H. Jia, L., Wen, S., Liu, Q., Wang, G. and Chen, Z. (2016), "Experimental and Theoretical Studies on The Stability of Steel Tube-Coupler Scaffolds with Different Connection Joints", Eng. Struct., 106(1), 80-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.10.015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.10.015
- Liu, H., Zhao, Q., Wang, X., Zhou, T., Wang, D., Liu, J. and Chen, Z. (2010b), "Experimental and analytical studies on the stability of structural steel tube and coupler scaffolds without X-bracing", Eng. Struct., 32(4), 1003-1015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.12.027. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.12.027
- Liu, S.W., Chan, Jake L.Y., Bai, R. and Chan, S.L., (2018), "Curved-quartic-function elements with end-springs in series for direct analysis of steel frames", Steel Compos. Struct., 29(5), 623-633. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2018.29.5.623.
- Nguyen, P.C. and Kim, S.E. (2016), "Advanced analysis for planar steel frames with semi-rigid connections using plastic-zone method", Steel Compos. Struct., 21(5), 1121-1144. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.5.1121. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.5.1121
- NIDA (2018), "User Manual and Analysis Theory", Version 10.0.
- Peng, J.L., Ho, C.M., Lin, C.C. and Chen, W.F. (2015), "Load-Carrying Capacity of Single-Row Steel Scaffolds with Various Setups", Adv. Steel Constr., 11(2), 185-210. DOI:10.18057/IJASC.2015.11.2.4
- Peng, J.L., Wang, C.S., Wu, C.W. and Chen, W.F. (2017), "Experiment and Stability Analysis on Heavy-Duty Scaffold Systems with Top Shores", Adv. Steel Constr., 13(3), 293-317. DOI: 10.18057/IJASC.2017.13.3.6
- Pienko, M. and Blazik-Borowa, E. (2013), "Numerical Analysis of Load-bearing Capacity of Modular Scaffolding Nodes", Eng. Struct., 48, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.08.028. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.08.028
- Prabhakaran, U., Beale, R.G. and Godley, M.H.R. (2011), "Analysis of scaffolds with connections containing looseness", Comput. Struct., 89, 1944-1955. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2011.03.016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2011.03.016
- Sevim, B., Bekiroglu, S. and Arslan, G. (2017), "Experimental Evaluation of Tie Bar Effects on Structural Behavior of Suspended Scaffolding Systems", Adv. Steel Constr., 13(1), 62-77. DOI: 10.18057/IJASC.2017.13.1.4
- Thai, H.T., Kim, S.E. and Kim, J. (2017), "Improved refined plastic hinge analysis accounting for local buckling and lateraltorsional buckling", Steel Compos. Struct., 24(3), 339-349. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.24.3.339.
- Yue, F., Yuan, Y., Li, G.Q., Ye, K.M., Chen, Z. and Wang, Z. (2005), "Wind Load on Integral-Lift Scaffolds for Tall Building Construction", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 131(5), 816-824. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:5(816). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:5(816)
- Zhang, H., Chandrangsu, T. and Rasmussen, K.J.R. (2010), "Probabilistic Study of The Strength of Steel Scaffold Systems", Struct. Saf., 32(6), 393-401. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2010.02.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2010.02.005
- Zhang, H., Rasmussen, K.J.R. and Ellingwood, B.R. (2012), "Reliability assessment of steel scaffold shoring structures for concrete formwork", Eng. Struct., 36, 81-89. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.11.027. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.11.027
- Zhao, Z. and Chen, Z. (2016), "Analysis of door-type modular steel scaffolds based on a novel numerical method", Adv. Steel Constr., 12(3), 316-327. DOI: 10.18057/IJASC.2016.12.3.6