- Volume 6 Issue 1
In this paper, we try to criticize a bias that liberal arts are not practical. First, I introduce holistic models of knowledge and constructivism in education. Second, I suggest 'linguistic turn' as another noticeable phenomenon. Language is an element of culture, but a priviledged one because culture, in itself, is linguistic. So culture is a sort of a text. We can see that liberal arts or humanities to deal with texts, contexts and languages can have an important role to read, understand and construct a world. So the rediscovery of the traditional model of the education of liberal arts like processes of graduating studies of liberal arts or humanities, is relevant to a new 'practical' model of reading and leading recent social transformations. An important point is academic contribution. And current situation called 'Knowledge-Based Society' also supports my point in another way. The situation of rapidly changing knowledge requires an education of problem-solving ability by unifying and reconstructing knowledge supporting with constructivism in education rather than the cramming system of education.
- Cover story, Hankyoreh 21, no.1178 (2017. 9. 11).
- Paik, Tohyung, "The Roles of the Humanities reconsidering in the 'Age of Science'" in Anthology (Soongsil University: Humanities) , no. 30 (2000).
- Neurath, O. "Protocol Sentences" (1932) trans. by G. Schick rp. in Logical Positivism (A. J. Ayer ed.., The Free Press 1959), p. 201.
- Rorty, R., Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature (Princeton University Press, 1979).
- Kang, Inae, Why Constructivism?, (Mooneumsa, 1997), p. 62.
- Bae, Youngju, Self-directed Learning & Constructivism (Wonmisa, 2005), pp. 82-91.
- Putnam, H., Reason, Truth and History (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1981), p. 49.
- Paik, Tohyung, The Mind-Body Problem (Acanet, 2014), pp. 395-8.
- Wittgenstein L., Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, (1922) trans. by D. F. Pears and B. F. McGuinness (RKP. 1961).
- Saussure, Ferdinand de, Cours de Linguistique Generale (1915), trans. by Choi, S. E. (Mineumsa, 2006), p. 166.
- Lee, Gyuho, Powers of Languages (Cheil Publishing Company, 1968).
- Kim, Ju-eun, An Analysis of the efect of Artificial Inteligence on Human Society, The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology (JCCT) Vol. 5, No. 2, p.177-182, May 31, 2019. pISSN 2384-0358, eISSN 2384-0366.
- Shorris, Earl, Riches for the Poor - The Clement Course in the Humanities (Korean edition, Imagin, 2006).
- Kyoung Jaa Lee and Jin Sook Kim, The Meaning of University-Graduate School Experiences of Employee's for Job Conversion, The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology (JCCT) Vol. 5, No. 3, pp.165-170, August 31, 2019. pISSN 2384-0358, eISSN 2384-0366.
- Paik, Tohyung, "Culture and Language : the horizon of the education of the humanities" chap.V in Human Beings, Environment and Their Future, no. 4 (Inje University, Institute of Human, Environment and Future, 2010).