- Volume 74 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the dynamic confining effect of CRAC short column under monotonic loadings
- Wang, Changqing (Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Environmental Impact and Structural Safety in Engineering, China University of Mining & Technology (CUMT)) ;
- Xiao, Jianzhuang (Department of Building Engineering, College of Civil Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2019.02.08
- Accepted : 2019.12.12
- Published : 2020.05.10
Based on the dynamic tests of recycled aggregate concrete (RAC) short columns confined by the hoop reinforcement, the dynamic failure mechanism and the mechanical parameters related to the constitutive relation of confined recycled aggregate concrete (CRAC) were investigated thoroughly. The fracturing sections were relatively flat and smooth at higher strain rates rather than those at a quasi-static strain rate. With the increasing stirrup volume ratio, the crack mode is transited from splitting crack to slipping crack constrained with large transverse confinement. The compressive peak stress, peak strain, and ultimate strain increase with the increase of stirrup volume ratio, as well as the increasing strain rate. The dynamic confining increase factors of the compressive peak stress, peak strain, and ultimate strain increase by about 33%, 39%, and 103% when the volume ratio of hoop reinforcement is increased from 0 to 2%, but decrease by about 3.7%, 4.2%, and 9.1% when the stirrup spacing is increased from 20mm to 60mm, respectively. This sentence is rephrased as follows: When the stirrup volume ratios are up to 0.675%, and 2%, the contributions of the hoop confinement effect to the dynamic confining increase factors of the compressive peak strain and the compressive peak stress are greater than those of the strain rate effect, respectively. The dynamic confining increase factor (DCIF) models of the compressive peak stress, peak strain, and ultimate strain of CRAC are proposed in the paper. Through the confinement of the hoop reinforcement, the ductility of RAC, which is generally slightly lower than that of NAC, is significantly improved.
- ACI Committee 555 (2002), "Removal and Reuse of Hardened Concrete", ACI Mater J., 99(3), 300-325.
- Bischoff, P.H. and Perry, S.H. (1991), "Compressive behavior of concrete at high strain rates", Mater. Struct., 24(6), 425-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02472016. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02472016
- Chen, G.M., Zhang, J.J., Jiang, T., Lin, C.J. and He, Y.H. (2018), "Compressive behavior of CFRP-confined recycled aggregate concrete in different-sized circular sections", J. Compos. Construct., 22(4), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000859.
- Chen, Z.P., Xu, J.J., Xue, J.Y. and Su, Y.S. (2014), "Performance and calculations of recycled aggregate concrete-filled steel tubular (RACFST) short columns under axial compression", J. Steel Struct., 14(1), 31-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-014-1005-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-014-1005-5
- Du, T., Wang, W.H., Liu, Z.X., Lin, H.L. and Guo, T.P. (2010), "The Complete Stress-strain Curve of Recycled Aggregate Concrete under Uniaxial Compression Loading", Journal of Wuhan University of Technology-Materials Science Edition, 25(5), 862-865. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11595-010-0109-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11595-010-0109-9
- Frondistou, Y. (1977), "Waste concrete as aggregate concrete for new concrete", J. ACI, 212-219.
- GB/T 25177 (2010), Recycled Coarse Aggregate for Concrete, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People's Republic of China; Beijing, China.
- Goksu, C., Saribas, I., Binbir, E., Akkaya, Y. and Ilki, A. (2019), "Structural performance of recycled aggregates concrete sourced from low strength concrete", Struct. Eng. Mech., 69(1), 77-93. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2019.69.1.077.
- Huang, Y. J., Xiao, J. Z. and Zhang, C. (2012), "Theoretical study on mechanical behavior of steel confined recycled aggregate concrete", J. Construct. Steel Res., 76, 100-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.020
- Jin, X., Shen, Y. and Li, Z. (2005), "Behaviour of high- and normal-strength concrete at early ages", Mag. Concrete Res., 57(6), 339-345. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2005.57.6.339. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2005.57.6.339
- Kim, S.W., Lee, B.S., Kim, Y.S., Lee, S.H. and Kim, K.H. (2018), "Structural performance of recycled aggregate concrete confined by spiral reinforcement", J. Asian Architecture Building Eng., 17(3), 541-548. https://doi.org/10.3130/jaabe.17.541. https://doi.org/10.3130/jaabe.17.541
- Li, B., Park, R. and Tanaka, H. (2000), "Constitutive behavior of high-strength concrete under dynamic loads", ACI Struct. J., 97(4), 619-629.
- Li, J. B., Xiao, J.Z. and Sun, Z.P. (2004), "Properties of recycled coarse aggregate and its influence on recycled concrete", J. Building Mater., 7(4), 390-395.
- Lu, Y. B., Chen, X., Teng, X. and Zhang, S. (2014), "Dynamic compressive behavior of recycled aggregate concrete based on split Hopkinson pressure bar tests", Latin American J. Solids Struct., 11(1), 131-141. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-78252014000100008. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-78252014000100008
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Sagoe-Crentsil, K.K. and Brown, T.T. (2001), "Performance of concrete made with commercially produced coarse recycled concrete aggregate", Cement Concrete Res., 31, 707-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00476-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00476-2
- Scott, B.D., Park, R. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1982), "Stress-strain behavior of concrete confined by overlapping hoops at low and high strain rates", ACI J., 79(2), 13-27.
- Shatarat, N. K., Katkhuda, H. N., Hyari, K. H. and Asi, I. (2018), "Effect of using recycled coarse aggregate and recycled asphalt pavement on the properties of pervious concrete", Struct. Eng. Mech., 67(3), 283-290. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2018.67.3.283.
- Wang, C.Q. and Xiao, J.Z. (2017), "Rate Dependence of Confined Recycled Aggregate Concrete", ACI Struct. J., 114(6), 1557-1567.
- Wee, T.H., Chin, M.S. and Mansur, M.A. (1996), "Stress-strain relationship of high-strength concrete in compression", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 8(2), 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1996)8:2(70). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1996)8:2(70)
- Xiao, J. Z. (2008), Recycled Concrete, Chinese Building Press, Beijing, China.
- Xiao, J. Z., Huang, Y.J., Yang, J. and Zhang, C. (2012), "Mechanical properties of confined recycled aggregate concrete under axial compression", Construct. Build. Mater., 26(1), 591-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.06.062. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.06.062
- Xiao, J. Z., Li, J. B. and Zhang, C. (2005), "Mechanical properties of recycled aggregate concrete under uniaxial loading", Cement Concrete Res., 35, 1187-1194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.09.020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.09.020
- Xiao, J.Z., Li, L., Shen, L.M. and Poon, C.S. (2015), "Compressive behaviour of recycled aggregate concrete under impact loading", Cement Concrete Res., 71, 46-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2015.01.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2015.01.014
- Xiao, J.Z., Xie, H. and Yang, Z.J. (2012), "Aggregate interlock and Shear transfer across a crack in recycled aggregate concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 42(5), 700-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2012.02.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2012.02.006
- Yang, Y.F. and Ma, G.L. (2013), "Experimental behaviour of recycled aggregate concrete filled stainless steel tube stub columns and beams", Thin-Wall. Struct., 66, 62-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2013.01.017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2013.01.017
- Ye, Y.H. and Ye, L.P. (1995), "Failure mechanism of high-strength concrete confined by stirrups", Jiangsu Construction, 3, 5-9.
- Zeng, S.J., Ren, X.D. and Li, J. (2013), "Triaxial Behavior of Concrete Subjected to Dynamic Compression", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 139(9), 1582-1592. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000686. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000686
- Zhao, J.L., Yu, T. and Teng, J.G. (2015), "Stress-strain behavior of FRP-confined recycled aggregate concrete", J. Compos. Construct., 19(3), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000513.