- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Trend of Clinical Trials for Intradermal Acupuncture Treatment on Dry Eye Syndrome
건성안 증후군의 피내침 치료에 대한 임상연구 동향
- Song, Ji-Hoon (Department of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology & Dermatology, College of Korean medicine, Dongshin University) ;
- Park, Soo-Yeon (Department of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology & Dermatology, College of Korean medicine, Dongshin University)
- Received : 2020.04.11
- Accepted : 2020.05.05
- Published : 2020.05.25
Objectives : The aim of this study is to review the trend of clinical trials conducted with the intradermal acupuncture treatment on dry eye syndrome. Methods : Through 4 foreign online databases(PubMed, Cochrane Library, EMBASE, and CNKI) and 3 domestic online databases(NDSL, RISS, and OASIS), we searched for clinical studies performed acupuncture treatment for dry eye syndrome from 2000 to 2020. Only randomized controlled trials(RCT) were selected and analyzed with the research method. Results : A total of 4 studies were reviewed. Cuanzu(攢竹, BL2), Taiyang(太陽, EX-HN5), and Sibai(四白, ST2) were the most frequently used acupoints in the studies. Among the evaluation indexes, Schirmer I test(SIT), tear film break-up time(BUT) were the most frequently used outcomes. In the most of the 4 studies, intradermal acupuncture treatment showed significant therapeutic effects for dry eye syndrome. Conclusions : These results suggest that it is necessary to develop more detailed standards for intradermal acupuncture treatment method as the method of intradermal acupuncture is getting more diverse, and objective tools are needed to evaluating dry eye syndrome.
- Kim HS, Kim HM, Seong GJ, Yoo YS. Ophthalmology. 11th ed. Seoul:Ilchokak. 2017:11.
- National Health Insurance Service[Internet]. 2018[cited 2018 Jun 14]. Available from: http://www.nhis.or.kr/wbdy/retriveWbdy01.xx?query=%EC%95%88%EA%B5%AC%EA%B1%B4%EC%A1%B0%EC%A6%9D
- Park JS, Choi MJ, MA JE, Moon JH, Moon HJ. Influence of Cellular Phone Videos and Games on Dry Eye Syndrome in University Students. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs. 2014;25(1):12-23. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.1.12
- Kim HJ, Park CJ, Lim BS, Kim HH. Effects of Dry Eye Symptoms on Work Productivity and General Activity in Newly Building. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(3):389-96. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.3.389
- Kim DJ, Park MC, Lee SH, Kim HW, Lee HJ, Cha JW. The Influence of Office Indoor Air Qualitys on the Dry Eye Symptom of Contact Lens Wearers. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(2):215-22.
- Perry HD, Donnenfeld ED. Dry eye diagnosis and management in 2004. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2004;15(4):299-304. https://doi.org/10.1097/00055735-200408000-00004
- Smith RE. The tear film complex: pathogenesis and emerging therapies for dry eyes. Cornea. 2004;24(1):1-7.
- Balaram M, Schaumberg DA, Dana MR. Efficacy and tolerability outcomes after punctal occlusion with silicone plugs in dry eye syndrome. Am J Ophthalmol. 2001;131(1):30-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9394(00)00620-6
- Behrens A, Doyle JJ, Stern L, Chuck RS, McDonnell PJ, Azar DT, et al. Dysfunctional tear syndrome: a Delphi approach to treatment recommendations. Cornea. 2006;25(8):900-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ico.0000214802.40313.fa
- Jeong DH, Kim JH, Choi JH. A literature of study on Xerophthalmia. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2002;15(1):177-97.
- The Korean Medicine Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology Society. Korean Medicine Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology. 1st ed. Gyeonggi:Globooks. 2019:108-9.
- Kwon DH, Kim YS, Choi DY. Book Research into Acupuncture Treatment for Dry Eye. J Acupunct Res. 2000;17(3):10-24.
- Choi EH, Jeon JH, Kim YI. Clinical Observation on 3 Cases of Dry Eye Syndrome. J Acupunct Res. 2007;24(4):237-45.
- Lee CW, Lee EK, Jeon JH, Kim JH, Kim YI, Kim JI. Effects of Acupuncture Therapy on Dry Eye Syndrome: 43 Case Series. J Acupunct Res. 2010;27(6):85-94.
- Lee SM, Lee CW, Jeon JH, Kim JH, Kim JI, Choi SM, et al. Comparative Study of the Effect of Acupuncture for Dry Eye Syndrome According to Difference of Duration of Treatment. J Acupunct Res. 2012;29(4):55-69.
- Kim BH, Kim MH, Kang SH, Nam HJ. Optimizing acupuncture treatment for dry eye syndrome: a systematic review. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18(1):145. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-018-2202-0
- Kim MH, Kim JH, Yoon HW, Ko WS. Quality of Life in Patients with Skin Diesease. J Korean Oriental Med. 2005;26(3):43-54.
- Lu Y, Chen Q. Observation on the therapeutic effect of intradermal needle combined with artificial tear in the treatment of xerophthalmia. Chinese Community Doctors. 2019;35(28):70-3.
- Ma HJ, Feng L, Wang JL, Yang ZM. Effects of subcutaneous embedding of thumb-tack needle on tear film in patients with dry eye. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2018;38(3):273-6.
- Lee JS, Hwang SH, Shin BC, Park YM. Electrical stimulation of auricular acupressure for dry eye: A randomized controlled-clinical trial. Chin J Integr Med. 2017;23(11):822-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11655-016-2449-6
- Wu J, Ma XY, He LP. Needle embedding therapy for dry eye patients. Journal of Changchun University of Chinese Medicine. 2016;32(5):1033-5.
- Lee SY. The relationship between dry eye syndrome and vision-specific quality of life [dissertation]. [Seoul]: University of Korea; 2010.
- Nichols KK, Nichols JJ, Mitchell GL. The lack of association between signs and symptoms in patients with dry eye disease. Cornea. 2004;23(8):762-70. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ico.0000133997.07144.9e
- Hyon JY, Kim HM, Lee D, Chung ES, Song JS, Choi CY, et al. Korean Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Dry Eye: Development and Validation of Clinical Efficacy. Korean J Ophthalmol. 2014;28(3):197-206. https://doi.org/10.3341/kjo.2014.28.3.197
- Lim KM, Kang BS, Kim HH, Na GY, Jeong JW, Choi JH, et al. Review on the Study of Dry Eye Syndrome in the Journal of Korean Medicine. J Physiol & Pathol Korean Med. 2017;31(2):94-104. https://doi.org/10.15188/kjopp.2017.04.31.2.94
- Li XD, Xie XJ, Zheng X, Zhou H. Application of acupuncture and moxibustion in ischemic optic neuropathy. J Chin Opthalmol & Otorhinolaryngol. 2019;9(3): 172-4.
- Kim MK, Yoon HM, Jung HM. The effects of Self-acupressure on the Visual Health of College Students. J Acupunct Res. 2012;29(5):39-50.
- Zhang LQ, Li JX, Pan SM. Clinical Application and Mechanism Study of Point Sibai(ST2). JCAM. 2018;34(4):70-4.
- Zhang Q, Pan D, Zhang JW, Zhang LC. Clinical Research Progress of Acupuncture Treating Vision Disorder after Cerebral Infarction. JCAM. 2019;35(2):76-9.
- Wang J, Shi XJ, Luo DD, Shi BP. Alacrima after child traumatic brain injury. World J Acupunct Moxibustion. 2018;28(4);306-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wjam.2019.01.002
- Qin HY, Peng QH. Study on the Mechanism of Acupuncture Treatment of Dry Eye. Guiding Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy. 2019;25(12):116-9.
- Fu T, Tong B, Wang LF, Fang J. Clinical effect of different combinations of acupuncture and acupoint selection in the treatment of juvenile myopia. China Modern Doctor. 2017;55(25):66-9.
- Ding YX, Yao X. A Review of Clinical Research on Acupuncture in the Treatment of Adolescent Myopia. Chinese Medicine Modern Distance Education of China. 2018;16(16):156-8.
- Han LS, Sheng RY, Lu H, Zhang CH. Clinical Application of EX-HN3 in Recent 10 Years. JCAM. 2018;34(11):72-5.
- Apriani SA, Widya DK, Srilestari A, Susiyanti M. Acupuncture compared with 0.5% carboxymethyl cellulose for improving Schirmer I test and OSDI scores for treating dry eye in menopausal women. J Phys Cnf Ser. 2018;1073(6):062034. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1073/6/062034
- Ma XJ, Zhao YD, Zhang GX, Zhao CZ. The rules of acupoint selection of acupuncture for dry eye. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2019;39(1):87-90.