- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Balance Training through Visual Control on Balance Ability, Postural Control, and Balance Confidence in Chronic Stroke Patients
시각 통제를 이용한 균형훈련이 만성 뇌졸중 환자의 균형능력과 자세조절, 균형자신감에 미치는 영향
- Jeong, Seong-Hwa (Department of Physical Therapy, Keunsol2 Hospital) ;
- Koo, Hyun-Mo (Department of Physical Therapy, College of Science, Kyungsung University)
- Received : 2020.03.02
- Accepted : 2020.03.30
- Published : 2020.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to conduct balance training through vision control to improve the balance, postural control, and balance confidence and to decrease the visual and sensory dependence of stroke patients. Methods: Twenty-eight chronic stroke patients volunteered to participate in the study. They were randomly assigned to the eyes-closed and the eyes-open training groups. Three times a week for four weeks each group performed an unstable-support session and a balance training session for thirty minutes per set. Their balance, postural control, and balance confidence were assessed using BIO Rescue (BR), the postural assessment scale for stroke (PASS), and the Korean activity-specific balance confidence scale (K-ABC), respectively. All data were analyzed using SPSS version 22.0. Statistical methods before and after working around the average value of each dataset were independent T-test. The significance level for statistical analyses was set at 0.05. Results: Comparison between the groups showed statistically significant effects on all variables before and after the intervention (p < 0.05). Conclusion: This study reflected that balance-training programs involving vision control improve the balance, postural control, and balance confidence of chronic stroke patients. Thus, stroke patients should undergo training programs that increase the use of their other senses with vision control in clinical practice.
- Ahn WH, Jeong MG, Kim CK. The training effect of balance pad in stroke. Korean Society of Sport and Leisure Study. 2008;32(2):803-811.
- Alison SI, Jennifer SW, Avril M. Balance confidence is related to features of balance and gait in individuals with chronic stroke. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2017;26(2):237-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2016.07.022
- Andersson AG, Kamwendo K, Appelros P. Fear of falling in stroke patients: relationship with previous falls and functional characteristics. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research. 2008;31(3):261-264. https://doi.org/10.1097/MRR.0b013e3282fba390
- Ayres AJ. Sensory integration and the child, 25th anniversary edition. Los Angeles. Western Psychological Services. 2005.
- Benaim C, Perennou DA, Villy J, et al. Validation of a standardized assessment of postural control in stroke patients: the postural assessment scale for stroke patients (PASS). Stroke. 1999;30(9):1862-1868. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.30.9.1862
- Bonan IV, Colle FM, Guichard JP, et al. Reliance on visual information after stroke. Part I : Balance on dynamic posturography. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2004;85(2):268-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2003.06.017
- Brendon S, Patricia S, Sandhi P, et al. Musculoskeletal pain characteristics associated with lower balance confidence in community-dwelling older adults. Physiotherapy. 2016;102(2):152-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2015.03.3721
- Brody L. Balance impairment. Therapeutic exercise: moving toward function. Philadelphia. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 1999.
- Chang JS, Park JM, Lee MY. The effect of visual cue deprivation for the head alignment on unilateral neglect patient: case report. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2013;8(3):337-342. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.3.337
- Evertver H. The effect of a balance training program me on center of pressure excursion in one-leg stance. Clinical Biomechanics. 2005;20(10):1094-1100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2005.07.001
- Geiger RA, Allen JB, O'Kneefe J, et al. Balance and mobility following stroke: effects of physical therapy intervension with and without bio-feedback/force plate training. Physical Therapy. 2001;81(4):995-1005. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/81.4.995
- Geurts ACH, de Haart M, van Nes IJW, et al. A review of standing balance recovery from stroke. Gait & Posture. 2005;22(3):267-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2004.10.002
- Jacobson GP, Newman CW, Kartush JM. Handbook of balance function testing. St. Louis. Mosby. 1993.
- Jang SN, Cho SI, Ou SW, et al. The validity and reliability of korean fall efficacy scale (FES) and activitiesspecific balance confidence scale (ABC). Korean Geriatric Society. 2003;7(4):255-268.
- Jeffrey TS, John S, Branch HC. Mental motor imagery and the body schema: evidence for proprioceptive dominance. Neuroscience Letter. 2004;370(1):19-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2004.07.053
- Jeong SH, Koo HM. The effects of temporary visual block on the foot pressure and foot area of chronic stroke patients. PNF and Movement. 2019;17(1):103-109.
- Katja F, Johanna R, Frank R. Early non-visual experience influences proprioceptive spatial discrimination acuity in adulthood. Neuropsychologia. 2009;47(3):897-906. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2008.12.023
- Kelley MJA, Ferraro KF. The black/white disability gap: persistent inequality in later life. The Journal of Gerontology. 2004;59(1):S34-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/59.1.S34
- Kim HD. Characteristics of obstacle crossing on visual conflict: a pliot study. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2003;15(2):361-370.
- Kwon HC, Lee SR. The relationship between activities of daily living and cognitive score in stroke patients. Korean Research Society of Physical Therapy. 2003;10(3):41-51.
- Lee HY. Effects of a rehabilitation nursing program on muscle strength, flexibility, self efficacy and health related quality of life in disabilities. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006;36(3):484-492. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.484
- Lee YS, Kim JS, Cho NJ. Effect of vision control balance training on balance and muscle activities of stroke patient. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2012;13(2):718-724. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.718
- Marigold DS, Eng JJ. The relationship of asymmetric weight bearing with postural sway and visual reliance in stroke. Gait & Posture. 2006;23(2):249-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2005.03.001
- Myers AM, Powell LE, Maki BE, et al. Psychological indicators of balance confidence: relationship to actual and perceived abilities. The Journals of Gerontology. 1996;51(1):M37-43.
- Nitz JC, Choy NL. The efficacy of a specific balance-strategy training program for preventing falls among older people: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Age and Aging. 2004;33(1):52-58. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afh029
- Ryerson S, Levit K. Functional movement reeducation. London. Churchill Living-stone. 1997.
- Pollock AS, Durward BR, Rowe PJ, et al. What is balance? Clinical Rehabilitation. 2000;14(4):402-406. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215500cr342oa
- Powell LE, Myers AM. The activities-specific balance confidence (ABC) scale. The Journal of Gerontology. 1995;50(1):28-34.
- Priplata AA, Patritti BL, Niemi JB, et al. Noise-enhanced balance controlin patients with diabetes and patients with stroke. Annals of neurology. 2006;59(1):4-12. https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.20670
- Schmit JM, Regis DI, Riley MA. Dynamic patterns of postural sway in ballet dancers and track athletes. Experimental Brain Research. 2005;163(3):370-378. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-004-2185-6
- Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott M. Attentional demands and postural control: the effect of sensory context. Journals of Gerontology-Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. 2000;55(1):M10. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/55.1.M10
- Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott M. Motor control: theory and practical application, 3rd ed. Maryland. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2007.
- Smania N, Picelli A, Gandolfi M, et al. Rehabilitation of sensory motor integration deficits in balance impairment of patients with stroke hemiparesis. Neurological Sciences. 2008;29(5):313-319. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10072-008-0988-0
- So DH, Lee WH, Yoon MJ, et al. The effects of balance and trunk repositioning sense with multisensorial training using visual cue deprivation in subacute stroke patients. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2013;14(2):737-743. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.2.737
- Song JM, Park RJ, Kim JS. The effect of vision and audition on balance performance according to age. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 1994;6(1):75-84.
- Statistics Korea. Cause of death statistics. Dajeon. Statistics Korea. 2011.
- Sullivan JE, Headman LD. Sensory dysfunction following stroke: incidence, significance, examination, and intervention. Top Stroke Rehabilitation. 2008;15(3):200-217. https://doi.org/10.1310/tsr1503-200
- Tyson S, Connell L. How to measure balance activity in clinical practice. A systematic review of the psychometric properties and clinical utility of measurement tools in neurological conditions. Clinical Rehabilitation. 2009;23(9):824-840. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215509335018
- Tyson SF, Hanley M, Chillala J, et al. Balance disability after stroke. Physical Therapy. 2006;86(1):30-38. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/86.1.30
- Woo YG, Lee CH, Cho SH, et al. Effect of visual block, task type, and participation in an exercise program on static balance in the elderly. Korean Research Society of Physical Therapy. 2003;10(3):1-15.
- Yelnik AP, Kassouha A, Bonan IV, et al. Postural visual dependence after recent stroke: assessment by optokinetic stimulation. Gait & Posture. 2006;24(3):262-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2005.09.007
- Yiu J, Miller WC, Eng JJ, et al. Longitudinal analysis of balance confidence in individuals with stroke using a multi level model for change. Neuro Rehabilitation Neural Repair. 2012;26(8):999-1006. https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968312437941