- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation of Seismic Stopper using Structural Analysis and AC156 Test Method
- Ryu, Hyun-su (School of Industrial Engineering and Naval Architecture, Changwon National University)
- Received : 2020.03.24
- Accepted : 2020.05.28
- Published : 2020.05.31
Recently, studies have been actively conducted on seismic design and improvement of the seismic performance of bridges, buildings, factories, and plants. In particular, heavy items that are being manufactured or waiting to be shipped from factories (such as generators, engines, and boilers) must be equipped with seismic stoppers to prevent them from moving or falling during an earthquake. Seismic stoppers should be suitably determined by the size and weight of these heavy items; however, they have no general design standard. In this study, structural analyses and seismic tests were conducted to evaluate the performance of newly designed seismic stoppers. Structural analysis was performed on three stopper models to estimate the external load at which the yield stress of the material was not exceeded. Based on the analysis results, a seismic test of the stopper was carried out in accordance with the AC156 test method. Finally, product specifications for all three seismic stopper models were determined and their static/dynamic load performance was evaluated.
- Chen, S. G.(2010), Ultimate Strength Assessment for Foundation of Bow Chain stopper, M.S. Thesis, Ulsan University, Ulsan, Korea.
- Cho, C. M., D. S. Lee, T. K. Kim, and J. H. Kim(2017), Pseudo Dynamic Test Study on Seismic Performance Evaluation of RC Columns Retrofitted by PolyUrea, Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 289-301. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2017.37.2.0289
- Dechant, E., F. Fedulov, D. V. Chashin, L. Y. Fetisov, Y. K. Fetisov, and M. Shamonin(2017), Low-frequency, broadband vibration energy harvester using coupled oscillators and frequency up-conversion by mechanical stoppers, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 26, pp. 1-11.
- Han, S. U., J. T. Ahn, K. C. Lee, and S. H. Han(2012), Theoretical Seismic Analysis of Butterfly Valve for Nuclear Power Plant, Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers-A, Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 1009-1015. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.9.1009
- Hong, D. W.(2018), Modeling & Analysis of Plate Structures with Active Mounting System for Vibration Reduction Control, M.S. Thesis, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, Korea.
- Hwang, C. H., C. Y. Park, S. R. Hah, and C. W. Kim(1997), Static Structural Test and Analysis of Basic Trainer, Journal of The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 123-130.
- Jeon, B. G., Y. S. Jeong, S. W. Kim, M. U. Gim, and J. H. Cheung(2017), Shake Table Tests for Seismic Performance Evaluation of Fire Protection Riser Pipes, Proceedings of the Architectural institute of Korea, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 1293-1294.
- Jeon, J. H. and C. I. Jang(2005), Seismic Design Standards and Application Examples of Domestic Building Facilities, The magazine of the Society of Air-conditioning and Refrigerating Engineers of Korea, Vol. 34, No. 10, pp. 9-14.
- Kim, J. B. and J. H. Jeong(2017), Introduction to Seismic Simulation Test Center and Experimental Cases, Journal of Computational Structural Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 5-10.
- Kim, M. J., T. U. Ha, and S. H. Cho(2015), Examination of Seismic Performance for Structure with Seismic Members made by High Strength Steel, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 281-288. https://doi.org/10.7781/kjoss.2015.27.3.281
- Lee, E. H. and S. Y. Kwak(2019), Seismic Access of Offshore Subsea Manifold using RSA and THA Seismic Analysis Results for Simplified Model, Journal of Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 7-16. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2019.32.1.7
- Lee, J. O., H. K. Kim, and S. B. Cho(2017), A Study on Performance-based Seismic Design Method of Fire Extinguishing Pipe System, Journal of Fire Science and engineering, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 86-94. https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2017.31.4.086
- Lee, W. H., J. R. Cho, M. S. Roh, and J. H. Ryu(2011), Seismic Analysis of Nuclear Power Equipment Related to Design, Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers-A, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 317-323. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.3.317
- Oh, M. S., S. H. Nam, and B. G. Lee(2014), Structure Analysis for Damper stopper of Lock-up Clutch, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 1865-1870. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.1865
- Park, S. J., C. N. Ma, M. G. Park, and D. H. Lee(2011), Stopper equipped with a Low Vibration Floating Slab System Design, Proceedings of the Korean Society for Railway, Hoengseong, Korea, May 2011, pp. 753-756.
- Sun, J., P. Pan, and H. Wang(2018), Development and experimental validation of an assembled steel double-stage yield buckling restrained brace, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 145, pp. 330-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2018.03.003