- Volume 74 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Approximate calculation of the static analysis of a lifted stay cable in super-long span cable-stayed bridges
- Zhao, Xinwei (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Xiao, Rucheng (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Sun, Bin (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2019.07.10
- Accepted : 2020.01.20
- Published : 2020.06.10
The sag effect of long stay cables is one of the key factors restricting further increase in the span of cable-stayed bridges. Based on the formerly proposed concept of long stay cables lifted by an auxiliary suspension cable in cross-strait cable-stayed bridges, corresponding static approximate calculations and analytical theory based on catenary and parabolic cable configurations are established. Taking a main span 1400 m cable-stayed bridge as the research object, three typical lifting conditions and the whole process of auxiliary cable lifting are analyzed and discussed. The results show that the sag effect is effectively reduced. The support efficiency is only improved when the cables are lifted above the original cable chord. Reduction of the horizontal component force of the cable is limited. The equivalent elastic modulus and the vertical support stiffness of the lifted cables are significantly increased with increased horizontal projection length and not sensitive to the change of the lifting point position. The scheme of lifting the cable to the chord midpoint is more economical because of the less steel required for the auxiliary suspension cable, but its effect on improving the vertical support efficiency is limited. The support efficiency is better when the cable is lifted to the cable end tangential to the original cable chord, but the lifting force and the cross-sectional area of the auxiliary suspension cable are doubled. The approximate calculation results of the lifted cables are very close to the numerical analysis results, which verifies the applicability of the approximation method proposed in this study. The results of parabolic approximation calculations are approximately equal to that of catenary cable geometry. As the parabolic approximation analysis theory of lifted cables is more convenient in mathematical processing, it is feasible to use parabolic approximation analysis theory as the analytical method for the conceptual design of lifted cables of super-long span cable-stayed bridges.
- Christoffersen, J., Hauge, L., Jensen, H.E. and Bjerrum, J. (1999), "Design and construction of a CFRP cable-stayed footbridge", Proceedings of IABSE Conference - Cable-Stayed Bridges: Past, Present and Future, Malmo, June.
- Gimsing, N.J. (2005), "The modern cable-stayed bridge - 50 years of development from 1955 to 2005", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Innovation & Sustainability of Structures in Civil Engineering, Nanjing, November.
- Gimsing, N.J. and Georgakis, C.T. (2012), Cable Supported Bridges: Concept and Design, (3rd Edition), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, United Kingdom.
- Gimsing, N.J. and Gimsing J. (1980), "Analysis of erection procedures for bridges with combined cable systems - cable net bridge concept", ABK Report No. R128; Department of Civil Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark.
- Miao, J.W. (2006), "Study for design theories of super-long span cable-stayed bridges", Ph.D. Dissertation, Tongji University, Shanghai, China.
- Nagai, M., Fujino, Y., Yamaguchi, H. and Iwasaki, E. (2004), "Feasibility of a 1,400 m span steel cable-stayed bridge", J. Bridge Eng., 9(5), 444-452. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084- 0702(2004)9:5(444). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(444)
- Noisternig, J.F. (2000), "Carbon fibre composites as stay cables for bridges", Appl. Compos. Mater., 7(2-3), 139-150. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008946132034. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008946132034
- Starossek, U. (1996), "Cable-stayed bridge concept for longer spans", J. Bridge Eng., 1(3), 99-103. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1996)1:3(99). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1996)1:3(99)
- Virlogeux, M. (1999), "Recent evolution of cable-stayed bridges", Eng. Struct., 21(8), 737-755. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00028-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00028-5
- Wu, Z.S. and Wang, X. (2008), "Investigation on a thousand-meter scale cable-stayed bridge with fiber composite cables", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, Zurich, July.
- Sun, B., Cai, C.S. and Xiao, R.C. (2016), "Analysis strategy and parametric study of cable-stayed-suspension bridges", Adv. Struct. Eng., 16(6), 1081-1102. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43126.96.36.1991.
- Sun, B., Zhang, L.W., Qin, Y.D. and Xiao, R.C. (2016), "Economic performance of cable supported bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 59(4), 621-652. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.59.4.621. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.59.4.621
- Tang, M.C. (2006), "Bridge forms and aesthetics", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference of the International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety, Porto, July.
- Tang, M.C. (2014), "Concept of a bridge across the Taiwan Strait", Proceedings of the 10th Conference on Bridge and Tunnel Connection across the Taiwan Strait, Fuzhou, November.
- Tang, M.C. (2017), "Super-long span bridges", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 13(6), 722-730. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2016.1187635. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2016.1187635
- Xiao, R.C. (2016), Bridge Structural Systems, S. K. Kataria and Sons, New Delhi, India.
- Xiong, W., Cai, C.S., Zhang, Y. and Xiao, R.C. (2011), "Study of super long span cable-stayed bridges with CFRP components", Eng. Struct., 33(2), 330-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.10.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.10.013
- Zhang, X.J. (2007), "Investigation on mechanics performance of cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges", Wind Struct., 10(6), 533-542. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/was.2007.10.6.533. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2007.10.6.533
- Zhang, X.J. and Yu, Z.J. (2015), "Study of seismic performance of cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 55(6), 1203-1221. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.6.1203. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.6.1203
- Zhang, Y.Y. (2013), "Limitation span of self-anchored cable-stayed bridge", J. Chongqing Jiaotong University (Natural Science), 32(2), 177-182. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1674-0696.2013.02.01.
- Zhao, X.W., Xiao, R.C. and Sun, B. (2019), "Span limit and parametric analysis of cable-stayed bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 71(3), 271-282. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2019.71.3.271.