- Volume 62 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Water Distribution and Irrigation Efficiency in Agricultural Reservoirs using SWMM Model
SWMM 모형을 이용한 농업용 저수지 용수분배 모의 및 관개효율 평가
- Shin, Ji-Hyeon (Department of Bioresources and Rural Systems Engineering, Hankyong National University) ;
- Nam, Won-Ho (School of Social Safety and Systems Engineering, Institute of Agricultural Environmental Science, National Agricultural Water Research Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Bang, Na-Kyoung (Department of Convergence of Information and Communication Engineering, Hankyong National University) ;
- Kim, Han-Joong (School of Social Safety and Systems Engineering, Institute of Agricultural Environmental Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- An, Hyun-Uk (Department of Agricultural and Rural Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Do, Jong-Won (Integrated Water Management Supporting Department, Water Resources Planning Office, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Ya (Integrated Water Management Supporting Department, Water Resources Planning Office, Korea Rural Community Corporation)
- Received : 2020.04.08
- Accepted : 2020.05.13
- Published : 2020.05.31
The management of agricultural water can be divided into management of agricultural infrastructure and operation to determine the timing and quantity of water supply. The target of water management is classified as water-supply facilities, such as reservoirs, irrigation water supply, sluice gate control, and farmland. In the case of agricultural drought, there is a need for water supply capacity in reservoirs and for drought assessment in paddy fields that receive water from reservoirs. Therefore, it is necessary to analyze the water supply amount from intake capacity to irrigation canal network. The analysis of the irrigation canal network should be considered for efficient operation and planning concerning optimized irrigation and water allocation. In this study, we applied a hydraulic analysis model for agricultural irrigation networks by adding the functions of irrigation canal network analysis using the SWMM (Storm Water Management Model) module and actual irrigation water supply log data from May to August during 2015-2019 years in Sinsong reservoir. The irrigation satisfaction of ponding depth in paddy fields was analyzed through the ratio of the number of days the target ponding depth was reached for each fields. This hydraulic model can assist with accurate irrigation scheduling based on its simulation results. The results of evaluating the irrigation efficiency of water supply can be used for efficient water distribution and management during the drought events.
- Ahn, S. R., G. Y. Park, and S. J. Kim, 2013. Assessment of agricultural water supply capacity using MODSIM-DSS coupled with SWAT. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 33(2): 507-519 (in Korean). doi:10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.2.507.
- An, H. U., H. S. Kang, W. H. Nam, and K. Y. Lee, 2020. Estimation of irrigation return flow from paddy fields based on the reservoir storage rate. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 47(1): 19-28 (in Korean). doi:10.7744/kjoas.20190083.
- Baffaut, C., and J. W. Delleur, 1989. Expert system for calibrating SWMM. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 115(3): 278-298. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9496(1989)115:3(278).
- Bang, N. K., W. H. Nam, E. M. Hong, M. J. Hayes, and M. D. Svoboda, 2018. Assessment of the meteorological characteristics and statistical drought frequency for the extreme 2017 spring drought event across South Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 60(4): 37-48 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2018.60.4.037.
- Bang, N. K., 2019. Development and application of field management model for agricultural reservoir. Master's thesis, Hankyong National University, Anseong, South Korea (in Korean).
- Hong, E. M., W. H. Nam, J. Y. Choi, and J. T. Kim, 2014. Evaluation of water supply adequacy using real-time water level monitoring system in paddy irrigation canals. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(4): 1-8 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.4.001.
- Hong, E. M., J. Y. Choi, W. H. Nam, S. H. Lee, J. K. Choi, and J. T. Kim, 2015. Analysis of water loss rate and irrigation efficiency in irrigation canal at the Dong-Jin district. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(2): 93-101 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.2.093.
- Hong, E. M., J. Y. Choi, W. H. Nam, and J. T. Kim, 2016. Decision support system for the real-time operation and management of an agricultural water supply. Irrigation and Drainage 65: 197-209. doi:10.1002/ird.1935.
- Jensen, M. E., 2007. Beyond irrigation efficiency. Irrigation Science 25: 233-245. doi:10.1007/s00271-007-0060-5.
- Jeon, M. G., W. H. Nam, E. M. Hong, S. A. Hwang, J. H. Ok, H. R C ho, K . H. H an, K. H. Ju ng, Y. S . Zhang, a nd S. Y Hong, 2019. Comparison of reference evapotranspiration estimation methods with limited data in South Korea. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 42(2): 137-149 (in Korean). doi:10.7744/kjoas.20190004.
- Kang, M. G., S. T. Oh, and J. T. Kim, 2014. Estimation of amounts of water release from reservoirs considering customary irrigation water management practices in paddy-field districts. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(5): 1-9 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.5.001.
- Kang, M., H. Kim, B. Koh, and S. Kim, 2013. Irrigation channel network flow analysis by applying for SWMM model. Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage 20(2): 119-132 (in Korean).
- Kang, M. S., 2015. Feasibility study on irrigation system flow analysis through SWMM simulation. Ph.D. diss., Konkuk University, Seoul, South Korea (in Korean).
- Kang, T. U., and S. H. Lee, 2014. Development on an automatic calibration module of the SWMM for watershed runoff simulation and water quality simulation. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 47(4): 343-356 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.4.343.
- Kim, H. D., J. T. Kim, W. H. Nam, S. J. Kim, J. Y. Choi, and B. S. Koh, 2016a. Irrigation canal network flow analysis by a hydraulic model. Irrigation and Drainage 65: 57-65. doi:10.1002/ird.1992.
- Kim, J. S., J. Y. Lee, J. B. Lee, C. M. Song, and J. S. Park, 2016b. Evaluation of agricultural water supply potential in agricultural reservoirs. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 58(2): 65-71 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2016.58.2.065.
- Kim, S. R., M. W. Jang, S. J. Kim, and S. J. Bae, 2017. Spatial and temporal analysis of drought using the storage data of agricultural reservoirs in Chungnam province in 2015. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 59(2): 29-36 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2017.59.2.029.
- Kim, Y. Y., J. W. Lee, S. Y. Woo, and S. J. Kim, 2020. Inter-basin water transfer modeling from Seomjin river to Yeongsan river using SWAT. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 53(1): 57-70 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2020.53.1.57.
- Koo, Y. M., and D. I. Seo, 2017. Parameter estimations to improve urban planning area runoff prediction accuracy using Stormwater Management Model (SWMM). Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 50(5): 303-313 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2017.50.5.303.
- Lee, H. W., and J. H. Choi, 2015. Analysis of rainfall-runoff characteristics in Shiwha industrial watershed using SWMM. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers 37(1): 14-22 (in Korean). doi:10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.1.14.
- Lee, Y. H., Y. J. Oh, C. S. Na, M. H. Kang, K. K. Kang, and S. T. Yoon, 2013. Vulnerability assessment on spring drought in the field of agriculture. Journal of Climate Change Research 4(4): 397-407 (in Korean).
- Nam, W. H., J. Y. Choi, S. G. Choi, M. W. Hang, N. H. Lee, and K. D. Ko, 2011. A survey on irrigation timing and water saving strategies of agricultural reservoirs. Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage 18(1): 81-93 (in Korean).
- Nam, W. H., T. G. Kim, J. Y. Choi, and J. J. Lee, 2012. Vulnerability assessment of water supply in agricultural reservoir utilizing probability distribution and reliability analysis methods. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(2): 37-46 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.2.037.
- Nam, W. H., J. Y. Choi, E. M. Hong, and J. T. Kim, 2013. Assessment of irrigation efficiencies using smarter water management. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(4): 45-53 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.4.045.
- Nam, W. H., T. G. Kim, E. M. Hong, M. J. Hayes, and M. D. Svoboda, 2015. Water supply risk assessment of agricultural reservoirs using irrigation vulnerability model and cluster analysis. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(1): 59-67 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.1.059.
- Nam, W. H., E. M. Hong, and J. Y. Choi, 2016. Assessment of water delivery efficiency in irrigation canals using performance indicators. Irrigation Science 34: 129-143. doi:10.1007/s00271-016-0488-6.
- Nam, W. H., H. J. Kwon, and K. S. Choi, 2018. Reevaluation of design frequency of drought and water supply safety for agricultural reservoirs under changing climate and farming methods in paddy field. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 60(1): 121-131 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2018.60.1.121.
- Niazi, M., C. Nietch, M. Maghrebi, N. Jackson, B. R. Bennett, M. Tryby, and A. Massoudieh, 2017. Storm water management model: Performance review and gap analysis. Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment 3(2): 04017002. doi:10.1061/JSWBAY.0000817.
- Park, J. H., 2017. Development of 4-dimensional agricultural water management system by functional improvement of irrigation facilities. Ph.D. diss., Konkuk University, Seoul, South Korea (in Korean).
- Rossman, L. A., 2010. Storm water management model user's manual version 5.0. EPA/600/R-05/040, National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Song, J. H., I. Song, J. T. Kim, and M. S. Kang, 2015. Simulation of agricultural water supply considering yearly variation of irrigation efficiency. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 48(6): 425-438 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2015.48.6.425.
- Yang, J. S., and I. W. Kim, 2016. Development of urban flood risk index for the Cheonggyecheon watershed using SWMM. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 36(3): 385-393 (in Korean). doi:10.12652/Ksce.2016.36.3.0385.