- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The effects of Lactobacillus reuteri-containing probiotics on the viability and biofilm formation of oral microorganisms
Lactobacillus reuteri 함유 Probiotics가 구강미생물의 생존 및 biofilm 형성에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Su-Bin (Department of Health Science, Dongseo University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Hee (Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongseo University)
- 이수빈 (동서대학교 일반대학원 보건과학과) ;
- 이경희 (동서대학교 치위생학과)
- Received : 2020.04.23
- Accepted : 2020.06.02
- Published : 2020.06.30
Objectives: This study aimed to evaluate the inhibitory effects of probiotics containing Lactobacillus reuteri on Streptococcus mutans and Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans. In addition, the degree of biofilm formation, initial acidity, buffering ability, and acid production performance were measured to confirm the dental caries-inducing ability. Methods: S. mutans (KCTC3065) and A. actinomycetemcomitans (KCTC2581) were used as experimental strains. The number of viable cells, degree of biofilm formation, initial pH, buffering capacity, and production performance were measured for comparing L. reuteri-containing probiotics and Bulgaris. Results: The viability of S. mutans in the groups was reduced in the following order: Bulgaris, probiotics, control. The degree of biofilm formation was significantly higher at 0% and gradually reduced at different concentrations (p<0.01). At 2.5%, the absorbance of the probiotics and Bulgaris groups differed significantly (p<0.01). The acid formation ability differed significantly based on the performance of S. mutans in each product (p<0.05). The absorbance of the probiotics group was significantly lower than that of the Bulgaris group (p<0.01). Conclusions: This study suggests that the use of L. reuteri-containing probiotics as an adjuvant for the prevention and decreasing of oral diseases may reduce their incidence, which can be considered one of the benefits of using probiotics.
- Kuramitsu HK, He X, Lux R, Anderson MH, Shi W. Interspecies interactions within oral microbial communities. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2007;71:653-70. https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.00024-07 https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.00024-07
- Milward MR, Chapple ILC. The role of diet in periodontal disease. Clin Dent Health 2013;52:18-21.
- Dewhirst FE, Chen T, Izard J, Paster BJ, Tanner AC, Yu WH, et al. The human oral microbiome. J Bacteriol 2010;192(19):5002-17. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.00542-10 https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.00542-10
- Joshipura, KJ, Rimm EB, Douglass CW, Trichopoulos D, Ascherio A, Willett WC. Poor oral health and coronary heart disease. J Dent Res 1996;75(9):1631-6. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345960750090301 https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345960750090301
- Genco RJ, Grossi SG, Ho A, Nishimura F, Murayama Y. A proposed model linking inflammation to obesity, diabetes, and periodontal infections. J Periodontol 2005;76:2075-84. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2005.76.11-S.2075 https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2005.76.11-S.2075
- Ambalam PS, Prajapati JB, Dave JM, Nair BM, Ljungh A, Vyas BRM. Isolation and characterization of antimicrobial proteins produced by a potential probiotic strain of human lactobacillus rhamnosus 231 and its effect on selected human pathogens and food spoilage organisms. Microb Ecol Health Dis 2009;21(3-4):211-20. https://doi.org/10.3109/08910600903429052
- Kopp-Hoolihan L. Prophylactic and therapeutic uses of probiotics: a review. J Am Et Assoc 2001;101(2):229-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(01)00060-8
- Perdigon G, Alvarez S, Nader de Macias ME, Roux ME, de Ruiz Holgado AP. The oral administration of lactic acid bacteria increase the mucosal intestinal immunity in response to enteropathogens. J Food Protection 1990;53(5):404-10. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-53.5.404 https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-53.5.404
- Kruis W, Schutz E, Fric P, Fixa B, Judmaier G, Stolte M. Double-blind comparison of an oral escherichia coli preparation and mesalazine in maintaining remission of ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1997;11:853-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2036.1997.00225.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2036.1997.00225.x
- Guslandi M, Mezzi G, Sorghi M, Testoni PA. Saccharomyces boulardii in maintenance treatment of crohn's disease. Dig Dis Sci 2000;45(7):1462-4. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005588911207 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005588911207
- Meurman JH. Probiotics: Do they have a role in oral medicine and dentistry?. Eur J Oral Sci 2005;113(3):188-96. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.2005.00191.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.2005.00191.x
- Badet C, Thebaud NB. Ecology of lactobacilli in the oral cavity: a review of literature. Open Microbiol J 2008;2:38. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874285800802010038 https://doi.org/10.2174/1874285800802010038
- Ishihara K, Miyakawa H, Hasegawa A, Takazoe I, Kawai Y. Growth inhibition of streptococcus mutans by cellular extracts of human intestinal lactic acid bacteria. Infect Immun 1985;49(3):692-4. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.49.3.692-694.1985
- Nikawa H, Makihira S, Fukushima H, Nishimura Y, Ozaki K, Ishida S, et al. Lactobacillus reuteri in bovine milk fermented decrease the oral carriage of mutans streptococci. Int J Food Microbiol 2004;95(2):219-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2004.03.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2004.03.006
- Caglar E, Kavaloglu Cildir S, Ergeneli S, Sandalli N, Twetman S. Salivary mutans streptococci and lactobacilli levels after ingestion of the probiotic bacterium lactobacillus reuteri atcc 55730 by straws or tablets. Acta Odontol Scand 2006;64(5):314-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350600801709 https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350600801709
- Talarico TL, Dobrogosz WJ. Chemical characterization of an antimicrobial substance produced by lactobacillus reuteri. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1989;33(5):674-9. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.33.5.674 https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.33.5.674
- Hasslof P, Hedberg M, Twetman S, Stecksen-Blicks C. Growth inhibition of oral mutans streptococci and candida by commercial probiotic lactobacillian in vitro study. BMC Oral Health 2010;10(1):18. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-10-18 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-10-18
- Jeong EG, Lee JC, Seo JY, Kim SY, Kim WS, Yun WH, et al. Inhibitory effects of enterococcus faecium isolated from korean infants on oral pathogens. J Korean Acad Periodontol 2008;38(1):31-40. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2008.38.1.31 https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2008.38.1.31
- Haukioja A. Probiotics and oral health. Eur J Dent 2010;4(03):348-55. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-1697851
- Soderling EM, Marttinen AM, Haukioja AL. Probiotic lactobacilli interfere with streptococcus mutans biofilm formation in vitro. Curr Microbiol 2011;62(2):618-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-010-9752-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-010-9752-9
- Haukioja A, Loimaranta V, Tenovuo J. Probiotic bacteria affect the composition of salivary pellicle and streptococcal adhesion in vitro. Oral Microbiology and Immunology 2008;23(4):336-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-302X.2008.00435.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-302X.2008.00435.x
- Sissons CH, Wong L, Shu M. Factors affecting the resting ph of in vitro human microcosm dental plaque and streptococcus mutans biofilms. Arch Oral Biol 1998;43(2):93-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9969(97)00113-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9969(97)00113-1
- Katz S, Olson BL, McDonald JL. Buffering capacity, sugar content, and cariogenicity of foods. J Dent Res 1974;53(FEB):206.
- Hur YW, Kim SJ, Lee KH. In vitro study of baby food and breakfast cereal as for buffering capacity, acid production by streptococcus mutans, and synthetic hydroxyapatite decalcification. J WonKwang Dent Res 1990;1(1):167-76.
- Shin HS, Kim SM, Choi NK, Yang KH, Kang MS. The effect of fermented milk on viable cell count and biofilm formation of streptococcus mutans. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2009;36(3):358-66.
- Krasse P, Carlsson B, Dahl C, Paulsson A, Nilsson A, Sinkiewicz G. Decreased gum bleeding and reduced gingivitis by the probiotic lactobacillus reuteri. Swed Dent J 2006;30(2):55-60.
- Twetman S, Derawi B, Keller M, Ekstrand K, Yucel-Lindberg T, Stecksen-Blicks C. Short-term effect of chewing gums containing probiotic lactobacillus reuteri on the levels of inflammatory mediators in gingival crevicular fluid. Acta Odontol Scand 2009;67(1):19-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350802516170 https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350802516170
- Vivekananda MR, Vandana KL, Bhat KG. Effect of the probiotic lactobacilli reuteri (prodentis) in the management of periodontal disease: a preliminary randomized clinical trial. J Oral Microbiol 2010;2(1):5344. https://doi.org/10.3402/jom.v2i0.5344 https://doi.org/10.3402/jom.v2i0.5344