- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationships of Nurses' Character for Care and Workplace Bullying in Early Stage Nurses
- Choi, Yong Jun (Intensive Care Unit, Konyang University Hospital) ;
- Noh, Gie Ok (Department of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2020.04.16
- Accepted : 2020.05.14
- Published : 2020.06.30
This study is conducted to find out the nurses' character for care and the workplace bullying for the early stage nurses working in the clinical field and their relation in order to understand the factors which would affect the consequence of the workplace bullying. Data collected from 131 early stage nurses working at one general hospital for 7 months was used for this study. The data was analyzed with descriptive statistics, Independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, Hierarchical multiple regression by using SPSS/WIN 21.0. It was found that high the nurses' character for care was related to the lower workplace bullying (type and consequence) (r=-.31, p<.001; r=-.26, p=.003) and that the worse the score in the type of bullying wasthe higher consequence (r=.54, p<.001). The multiple regression analysis showed that the factors affecting the consequence of the workplace bullying were the type of bullying (β=.48), dissatisfaction with nursing (β=.22), and moderate satisfaction with nursing (β=.19) and that the explanation of the model by variables was 32.5%. Based on the results of the study, it is suggested that the effort of lowering the occurrence of the type of bullying and the strategy of enhancing the satisfaction with nursing such as improvement in the quality of nursing education be made in order to improve the consequence of workplace bullying at the workplace for the early stage nurses.
- E.Y. Lee, Y.G. Yoo. "Organizational nursing culture and workplace bullying on nurses' turnover intention in public hospitals", Korean Association of Health and Medical Sociology, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 91-115, 2018. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21489/hass.2018.12.49.91
- M. Cynthia. "Accused of workplace bullying: What happens next?", American Nurse Today, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 24-26, 2019.
- C.J. Sune, M.S. Jung. "Concept analysis of workplace bullying in nursing", Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 299-308, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2014.12.8.4.299
- P.A. Berry, G.L. Gillespie, D. Gates, J. Schafer. "Novice nurse productivity following workplace bullying", Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 80-87, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01436.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01436.x
- Ministry of Health and Welfare Korea. "Measures to Improve Nursing Work Environment and Treatment Announcement", Ministry of Health and Welfare Korea, 2018 [cited 2020 February 6]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=344262
- Y.J. Lee, K. Bernstein, M. Lee, K.M. Nokes. "Bullying in nursing workplace: Applying evidence using a conceptual framework", Nursing Economics; Pitman, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 255-267, 2014.
- A.L. Presti, P. Pappone, A. Landolfi. "The associations between workplace bullying and physical or psychological negative symptoms: Anxiety and depression as mediators", Europe's Journal of Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 808-822, 2019. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5964/ejop.v15i4.1733 https://doi.org/10.5964/ejop.v15i4.1733
- H.J. Kim, D.H. Park. "The effects of workplace bullying on turnover intention in hospital nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 241-252, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.241
- J.Y. Kang, M.J. Lee. "The related factors to workplace bullying in nursing: A systematic review and meta-analysis", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 399-414, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.399 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.399
- J.E. Arnetz, L. Fitzpatrick, S.R. Cotten, C. Jodoin, C.H. Chang. "Workplace bullying among nurses: Developing a model for intervention", Violence & Victims, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 346-362, 2019. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.VV-D-17-00211 https://doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.VV-D-17-00211
- J.H. Park. "Development and validation of nurse's character scale for care in clinical settings", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 137-151, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.137 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.137
- S. Cooke. "What part does university play in the development of a caring character disposition for nurses? Some theoretical, historical, and empirical considerations", Journal of Character Education, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 21-37, 2015.
- H.S. Jin, C.S. Ryu. "Theoretical review of character virtue factors for character education", The Korean Society for Holistic Convergence Education, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 171-191, 2002.
- K.W. Son. "Participation in bullying: Bully's characteristics in character index and effectiveness of character education", The Korean Ethics Education Association, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 75-109, 2016. DOI: http//doi.org/10.18850/JEES.2016.40.04
- M.R. Park. "Effects of personality education program for the university student's self-esteem, communicative competence, and interpersonal competence" The Korean Association of General Education, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 77-95, 2019.
- G.W. Son. "The mediating and modulating effect of character in the relationship between happiness and pro-bullying attitudes", The Korean Association of Ethics, Vol. 1, No. 115, pp. 191-225, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15801/je.1.114.201709.191
- S.S. Sim, M.R. Bang. "The relationship between the character, interpersonal relations, and adjustment to a college life of nursing students", The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 12, pp. 634-642, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.634 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.634
- E.Y. Yeom, K.W. Seo. "Influence of interpersonal problem and clinical nurses' character on burnout of staff nurse", Journal of the Korean society for Wellness, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 33-42, 2019. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2019.02.14.1.33
- K.S. Jang. "A study on establishment of clinical career development model of nurses" [dissertation], Seoul: Yonsei University, pp. 1-201, 2000.
- Y.J, Lee, M.H. Lee. "Development and validity of workplace bullying in nursing-type inventory (WPBN-TI)", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 209-218, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.2.209 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.2.209
- Y.J. Lee. "Development of workplace bullying in nursing-consequence inventory (WPBN-CI)", The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 479-488, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.479 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.479
- S.J. Perry, J.P. Richter, B. Beauvais. "The effects of nursing satisfaction and turnover cognitions on patient attitudes and outcomes: A three-level multisource study", Health Services Research, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 4943-4969, 2018. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12997 https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12997
- Y.S. Ham, H.S. Kim. "A structural equation model on organizational socialization of hospital new nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Fall Conference, pp.302, 2018.
- Y.S. Im, J.H. Kim, H.J. Kwon. "Relationships among bullying in workplace, burnout, and emotional intelligence of physician assistant (PA) nurses", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 703-713, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703
- S.Y. Jung, H.D. Lee. "Mediating effect of nursing professionalism on the relationship between nurses' character and organizational commitment of the nurse", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 239-247, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.3.239 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.3.239
- G.Y. Jeong, H.J. Jang. "The effects of nursing organizational culture, work performance and workplace bullying type on workplace bullying consequence of nurses", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 424-435, 2019. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2019.25.4.424 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2019.25.4.424
- H.S. Sim, S.Y. Ahn, Y.J. Lee. "The convergence effects of nursing organizational culture, workplace bullying, and hospital violence attitude on psychological wellbeing among clinical nurses", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 9, No. 10, pp. 589-597, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.10.589