- Volume 58 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Fixed prosthodontic rehabilitation of maxillary posterior teeth using functionally generated path technique and intraoral digital scan: Case report
Functionally generated path technique 및 구내 디지털 스캔을 이용한 상악 구치부의 고정성 보철 수복 증례
- Kim, Sung-Ho (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Dankook University) ;
- Lee, Jonghyuk (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Dankook University) ;
- Choi, Yu-Sung (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Dankook University)
- Received : 2020.02.28
- Accepted : 2020.07.02
- Published : 2020.07.31
In order to deliver fixed partial denture to a patient successfully, dentist must take into many considerations beforehand. Patient's occlusal pattern should be fully understood before delivering any type of prosthesis, whether it's canine guidance or group function occlusion. In order to do so, movement of mandible should be recorded precisely. Introduced by Meyers in 1933, functionally generated path technique (FGP) has been successfully used to record mandibular movement with various materials, such as wax, and utilize it in fabricating precise prosthesis. In the following cases, patients showed secondary caries or endodontic-periodontic lesion on maxillary molars. Root canal treatment and subgingival curettage were done for each patient. Since the long term prognosis of each tooth was questionable, lateral force should be minimized. In order to do so, FGP technique was used to record mandibular movements precisely. Instead of using conventional plaster impression, intra-oral scanning of wax tracing was done to fabricate prosthesis efficiently. After delivery of fixed partial denture, favorable outcome was obtained.
- Suzuki Y, Shimpo H, Ohkubo C, Kurtz KS. Fabrication of fixed implant prostheses using function bite impression technique. J Prosthodont Res 2012;56:293-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpor.2012.02.005
- Meyer FS. The generated path technique in reconstruction dentistry: Part I: Complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1959;9:354-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(59)90064-2
- Dawson PE. Functional occlusion: From TMJ to smile design. 1st ed. St. Louis; CV Mosby; 2007. p. 242.
- DuVall NB, Rogers PM. Application of the functionally generated path technique to restore mandibular molars in bilateral group function occlusion. J Prosthodont 2013;22:226-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.2012.00944.x
- Jaffe VN. The functionally generated path in full denture construction. J Prosthet Den 1954;4:214-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(54)90099-2
- Re JP, Orthlieb JD. Functionally generated path technique to fabricate a crown in group function on a deciduous maxillary canine. J Prosthet Dent 2019;121:185-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2018.01.023
- Kafandaris NM. A modified functionally generated path technique for making maxillary posterior ceramometal restorations. J Prosthet Dent 1981;46:29-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(81)90130-X
- Patil PG, Nimbalkar-Patil SP, Kulkarni RS. Functionally generated pathways to develop occlusal scheme for removable partial denture. J Interdiscip Dent 2015;5:154-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-5194.181380
- Sutton AJ, Sheets DW Jr, Ford DE. Fabrication of a functionally generated, implant-retained fixed partial denture. J Prosthodont 2003;12:260-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1059-941X(03)00105-0
- Saafi J, Debbabi I, Alremthi HA, Cherif M. A modified functionally generated path technique (FGP) for making posterior unit metal-ceramic crown. J Oral Dent Sci 2018;2:1-8.
- Shillingburg HT. Fundamentals of fixed prosthodontics. Quintessence Publishing Company; 1997. p. 355-64.
- Ng J, Ruse D, Wyatt C. A comparison of the marginal fit of crowns fabricated with digital and conventional methods. J Prosthet Dent 2014;112:555-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2013.12.002
- Beuer F, Schweiger J, Edelhoff D. Digital dentistry: an overview of recent developments for CAD/CAM generated restorations. Br Dent J 2008;204:505-11. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2008.350
- Eeckman J, De Boever JA. Clinical accuracy of functionally generated interocclusal registration waxes. J Prosthet Dent 1988;60:549-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(88)90213-2
- Hammad IA, Nourallah H. Simplified procedure for making fixed partial dentures with a functionally generated path. J Prosthet Dent 1996;75:344-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(96)90498-9
- Minagi S, Tanaka T, Sato T, Matsunaga T. Double-casting method for fixed prosthodontics with functionally generated path. J Prosthet Dent 1998;79:120-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(98)70203-3
- Ting-Shu S, Jian S. Intraoral digital impression technique: A review. J Prosthodont 2015;24:313-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/jopr.12218
- Boeddinghaus M, Breloer ES, Rehmann P, Wostmann B. Accuracy of single-tooth restorations based on intraoral digital and conventional impressions in patients. Clin Oral Investig 2015;19:2027-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-015-1430-7
- Shamseddine L, Mortada R, Rifai K, Chidiac JJ. Fit of pressed crowns fabricated from two CAD-CAM wax pattern process plans: A comparative in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent 2017;118:49-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2016.10.003
- Fathi HM, Al-Masoody AH, El-Ghezawi N. The accuracy of fit of crowns made from wax patterns produced conventionally (hand formed) and via CAD/CAM technology. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 2016;24:10-7.
- Shamseddine L, Mortada R, Rifai K, Chidiac JJ. Marginal and internal fit of pressed ceramic crowns made from conventional and computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing wax patterns: An in vitro comparison. J Prosthet Dent 2016;116:242-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2015.12.005
- Homsy FR, Ozcan M, Khoury M, Majzoub ZAK. Marginal and internal fit of pressed lithium disilicate inlays fabricated with milling, 3D printing, and conventional technologies. J Prosthet Dent 2018;119:783-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2017.07.025
- Vojdani M, Torabi K, Farjood E, Khaledi A. Comparison the marginal and internal fit of metal copings cast from wax patterns fabricated by CAD/CAM and conventional wax up techniques. J Dent (Shiraz) 2013;14:118-29.