- Volume 62 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Water Balance Analysis of Pumped-Storage Reservoir during Non-Irrigation Period for Recurrent Irrigation Water Management
순환형 농업용수관리를 위한 농업용 저수지의 비관개기 양수저류 추정
- Bang, Na-Kyoung (Department of Convergence of Information and Communication Engineering, Hankyong National University) ;
- Nam, Won-Ho (School of Social Safety and Systems Engineering, Institute of Agricultural Environmental Science, National Agricultural Water Research Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Shin, Ji-Hyeon (Department of Bioresources and Rural Systems Engineering, Hankyong National University) ;
- Kim, Han-Joong (School of Social Safety and Systems Engineering, Institute of Agricultural Environmental Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Kang, Ku (EKtechnology) ;
- Baek, Seung-Chool (Korea Rural Community Corporation, Gyeonggi Regional Headquarter, Anseong District Office) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Ya (Water Resources Planning Office Integrated Water Management Supporting Department, Korea Rural Community Corporation)
- Received : 2020.05.05
- Accepted : 2020.06.17
- Published : 2020.07.31
The extreme 2017 spring drought affected a large portion of South Korea in the Southern Gyeonggi-do and Chungcheongnam-do districts. This drought event was one of the climatologically driest spring seasons over the 1961-2016 period of record. It was characterized by exceptionally low reservoir water levels, with the average water level being 36% lower over most of western South Korea. In this study, we consider drought response methods to alleviate the shortage of agricultural water in times of drought. It could be to store water from a stream into a reservoir. There is a cyclical method for reusing water supplied from a reservoir into streams through drainage. We intended to present a decision-making plan for water supply based on the calculation of the quantity of water supply and leakage. We compared the rainfall-runoff equation with the TANK model, which is a long-term run-off model. Estimations of reservoir inflow during non-irrigation seasons applied to the Madun, Daesa, and Pungjeon reservoirs. We applied the run-off flow to the last 30 years of rainfall data to estimate reservoir storage. We calculated the available water in the river during the non-irrigation season. The daily average inflow from 2003 to 2018 was calculated from October to April. Simulation results show that an average of 67,000 tons of water is obtained during the non-irrigation season. The report shows that about 53,000 tons of water are available except during the winter season from December to February. The Madun Reservoir began in early October with a 10 percent storage rate. In the starting ratio, a simulated rate of 4 K, 6 K, and 8 K tons is predicted to be 44%, 50%, and 60%. We can estimate the amount of water needed and the timing of water pump operations during the non-irrigation season that focuses on fresh water reservoirs and improve decision making for efficient water supplies.
- An, J. H., J. H. Song, M. S. Kang, I. H. Song, S. M. Jun, and J. H. Park, 2015. Regression equations for estimating the TANK model parameters. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(4): 121-133 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.4.121.
- Arnold, R. T., C. Troost, and T. Berger, 2015. Quantifying the economic importance of irrigation water reuse in a Chilean watershed using an integrated agent-based model. Water Resources Research 51: 648-668. doi:10.1002/2014WR015382. https://doi.org/10.1002/2014WR015382
- Baek, J., C. Kim, J. H. Cha, and J. Song, 2020. A study on the estimation of river water intake using the operating time of the pumping station. Journal of the Korea Water Resources Association 53(2): 89-96 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2020.53.2.89.
- Bang, J., J. Y. Choi, and S. H. Lee, 2018. Analysis of water supply probability for agricultural reservoirs considering non-irrigation period precipitation using RCP scenarios. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 60(4): 63-72 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2018.60.4.063.
- Chien, C. P., and W. T. Fang, 2012. Modeling irrigation return flow for the return flow reuse system in paddy fields. Paddy and Water Environment 10: 187-196. doi:10.1007/s10333-011-0307-x. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-011-0307-x
- Cho, H. K., and S. M. Kim, 2019. A study on the estimation of irrigation water for sewage treated water reuse for agriculture. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 61(2): 97-104 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2019.61.2.097.
- Choi, J. K., J. G. Son, Y. J. Kim, and J. D. Song, 2008. Survey of irrigation water supply from Imoon pumping station. Journal of Agricultural and Life Sciences 39(1):21-32 (in Korean).
- Choo, T. H., 2004. A study on return flow ratio of irrigation for a paddy field in pumping station by water balance method. Journal of the Korea Water Resources Association 37(3): 249-255 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2004.37.3.249. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2004.37.3.249
- Hama T., K. Nakamura and S. Kawashima, 2009. Effectiveness of cyclic irrigation in reducing suspended solids load from a paddy-field district. Agricultural Water Management 97(3): 483-489. doi:10.1016/j.agwat.2009.11.007.
- Hong, E. M., W. H. Nam, J. Y. Choi, and J. T. Kim, 2014. Evaluation of water supply adequacy using real-time water level monitoring system in paddy irrigation canals. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(4): 1-8 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.4.001.
- Hong, E. M., J. Y. Choi, W. H. Nam, S. H. Lee, J. K. Choi, and J. T. Kim, 2015. Analysis of water loss rate and irrigation efficiency in irrigation canal at the Dong-Jin district. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(2): 93-101 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.2.093.
- Hong, E. M., J. Y. Choi, W. H. Nam, and J. T. Kim, 2016. Decision support system for the real-time operation and management of an agricultural water supply. Irrigation and Drainage 65: 197-209. doi:10.1002/ird.1935. https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.1935
- Jang, C. H., H. J. Kim, and J. T. Kim, 2012. Prediction of reservoir water level using CAT. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(1): 27-38 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.1.027.
- Kang, M. G., J.H. Lee, and K. W. Park, 2013. Parameter regionalization of a Tank model for simulating runoffs from ungauged watersheds. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 46(5): 519-530 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.5.519. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.5.519
- Kang, M. G., and S. W. Park, 2014. Modeling water flows in a serial irrigation reservoir systemconsidering irrigation return flows and reservoir operations. Agricultural Water Management 143: 131-141. doi:10.1016/j.agwat.2014.07.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2014.07.003
- Kang, H. S., H. U. An, W. H. Nam, and K. Y. Lee, 2019. Estimation of agricultural reservoir water storage based on empirical method. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 61(5): 1-10 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2019.61.5.001.
- Kim, H. Y., and S. W. Park, 1988. Simulating daily inflow and release rates for irrigation reservoirs (1). Journal of Korea Society of Agricultural Engineers 30(1): 50-62 (in Korean).
- Kim, H. K., T. I. Jang, S. J. Im, and S. W. Park, 2009. Estimation of irrigation return flow from paddy fields considering the soil moisture. Agricultural Water Management 96: 875-882. doi:10.1016/j.agwat.2008.11.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2008.11.009
- Kim, T. C., H. C. Lee, and J.P.Moon, 2010. Estimation of return flow rate of irrigation water in Daepyeong pumping district. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 52(1): 41-49 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2010.52.1.041. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2010.52.1.041
- Kim, K. U., J. H. Song, J. H. Ahn, J. H. Park, S. M. Jun, I. H. Song, and M. S. Kang, 2014. Evaluation of the TANK model optimized parameter for watershed modeling. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(4): 9-19 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.4.009. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.4.009
- Kim, H. D., J. T. Kim, W. H. Nam, S. J. Kim, J. Y. Choi, and B. S. Koh, 2016. Irrigation canal network flow analysis by a hydraulic model. Irrigation and Drainage 65: 57-65. doi:10.1002/ird.1992. https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.1992
- Koo, B. Y., T. S. Kim, I. W. Jung, and D. H. Bae, 2007. Optimization of TANK model parameters using multi-objective genetic algorithm (II): Application of preference ordering. Journal of the Korea Water Resources Association 40(9): 687-696 (in Korean). doi:10.3741/JKWRA.2007.40.9.687. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2007.40.9.687
- Lee, K. H., U. T. Cheong, and I. Y. Lee, 1999. Water balance in a paddy field with pumping irrigation system. Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage 6(2): 11-18 (in Korean).
- Nam, W. H., T.G. Kim, J. Y. Choi, and J. J.Lee, 2012. Estimating vulnerable duration for irrigation with agricultural water supply and demand during residual periods. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(5): 123-128 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.5.123. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2012.54.5.123
- Nam, W. H., J.Y. Choi, E.M. Hong, and J.T.Kim, 2013. Assessment of irrigation efficiencies using smarter water management. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(4): 45-53 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.4.045. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.4.045
- Nam, W. H., J. Y. Choi, and E. M. Hong, 2014. Uncertainty of water supply in agricultural reservoirs considering the climate change. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(2): 11-23 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.2.011.
- Nam, W. H., T. G. Kim, E. M. Hong, M. J. Hayes, and M. D. Svoboda, 2015. Water supply risk assessment of agricultural reservoirs using irrigation vulnerability model and cluster analysis. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(1): 59-67 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.1.059.
- Nam, W. H., E. M. Hong, and J. Y. Choi, 2016. Assessment of water delivery efficiency in irrigation canals using performance indicators. Irrigation Science 34:129-143. doi:10.1007/s00271-016-0488-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00271-016-0488-6
- Noh, J., and J. Lee, 2012. Appraising the amount of paddy irrigation intake from Busa estuary reservoir's pumping stations. Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage 19(2): 81-88 (in Korean).
- Rural Research Institute (RRI), 2017. A study on standardization of water balance analysis method on pumped-storage reservoir. Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation, Ansan, Korea (in Korean).
- Ryu, J. H., J. H. Song, S. M. Kang, J. S. Jang, and M. S. Kang, 2018. Impact of water management techniques on agricultural reservoir water supply. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 60(2): 121-132 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2018.60.2.121.
- Seong, C. H., S. J. Kim, S. M. Kim, and S, M, Kim, 2011. Analysis of wastewater reuse effect on field-scale water quality. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 53(4): 59-65 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2011.53.4.059.
- Song, J. H., I. Song, J. T. Kim, and M. S. Kang, 2015. Characteristics of irrigation return flow in a reservoir irrigated district. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(1): 69-78 (in Korean). doi:10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.1.069.
- Sugawara, M., 1972. A method for runoff analysis. Kyoritsu Publishing Co. Ltd., Japan (in Japanese).