- Volume 21 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Customer's Badness Behavior, Job Burnout, Positive Psychological Capital on Job Embeddedness of Nurses
고객불량행동, 직무소진, 긍정심리자본이 간호사의 직무착근도에 미치는 영향
- Kwon, Jeong Ok (Department of Nursing, Choonhe College of Health Sciences) ;
- Kang, Jung Mi (Best Hanseo Hospital)
- Received : 2020.05.12
- Accepted : 2020.08.07
- Published : 2020.08.31
This study was undertaken to identify the impact of bad customer behavior, job burnout, and positive psychological capital, on the job embeddedness of nurses. Data was collected from July 1 to July 31, 2019 using a structured questionnaire, enrolling 198 nurses working at three general hospitals located in 2 metropolitan cities. Data were analyzed by applying t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe' test, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and multiple regression, using the SPSS/WIN 21.0 program. Our results indicate that bad customer behavior significantly correlates with job burnout (r=0.24, p=<0.001), positive psychological capital (r=-0.37, p=<0.001), and job embeddedness (r=-0.48, p=<0.001). Moreover, job burnout had a positive impact on psychological capital (r=-0.44, p=<0.001) and job embeddedness (r=-0.31, p=<0.001), whereas positive psychological capital impacted job embeddedness (r=0.49, p=<0.001). Multiple regression analysis revealed that bad customer behavior (β=-0.34, p<0.001), positive psychological capital (β=0.32, p=0.004), and position (β=-0.19, p=0.001) had maximum influence (38%) on the level of job embeddedness experienced by nurses. Taken together, results of this study indicate that in order to increase the level of job embeddedness of nurses, it is necessary to develop strategies that eradicate and manage bad customer behavior, and also develop programs that strengthen and develop positive psychological capital.
- C. H. Lovelock, Services Marketing: People, Technology, Strategy. 4th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.2001.
- K. B. Oh, G. K. Shin, "The effect of customer jay behavior on job performance in automobile maintenance industry: Mediating effect of job stress and job burnout", Journal of Korea Association of Business Education, Vol.34, No.4, pp.405-427. Aug. 2019. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.23839/kabe.2019.34.4.405
- B. W. Park, "The effects of eating-out customers' customer citizenship behavior and customer badness behavior on service employees' emotional dissonance and job burnout", Journal of the Korea Academia-Inderstrial Cooperation Society, Vol.21, No.3, pp342-352, April. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2020.21.3.342
- L. C. Harris, K. L. Reynolds, "Jaycustomer behavior: an exploration of types and motives in the hospitality industry", Journal of Service Research, Vol.18, No.5, pp.339-357, August. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040410548276
- E. H. Kim, I. Y. Park, H. Y. Kim, "Study on black consumers' dysfunctional customer behaviors on hotel employees' job burnout and customer-orientation, Tourism Management Research Organization, Vol.20, No.4, pp.43-67, July. 2016. DOI: http://uci.or.kr/G704-SER000009812.2016.20.4.006 https://doi.org/10.18604/tmro.2016.20.4.3.
- National health and Medical worker's Trade Union, [Press Releases] Health worker surveys in 2019. Health workers' working conditions, pp1-8, June. 2019. http://bogun.nodong.org/xe/index.php?mid=khmwu_5_4&page=18&document_srl=543931
- N. Y. Han and S. W. Bae, "A Study on the Effects of Hospital Customers' Disgruntled Behaviors on Turnover Intention and Customer Orientation, using Emotional Dissonance and Emotional Exhaustion as Mediators: The Moderating Effects of Emotional Labor Strategy", Journal of the Korea Industrial Information Systems Research , Vol.22, No.5, pp.113-128, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org./10.9723/jksiis.2017.22.5.113 https://doi.org/10.9723/jksiis.2017.22.5.113
- J. J. Lee, The effect of dysfunctional behaviors of hospital patrons on the employees' customer orientation - Focused on the moderating effect of psychological capital, Master's thesis from Soongsil university, 2019. http://uci.or.kr/I804:11044-200000215175
- B. H. Kim, H. Y. Kang, "Job satisfaction, job stress, burnout, and turnover intention of comprehensive nursing care service ward nurses and general ward nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.19, No.5 pp.459-469, May. 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.459 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.459
- Z. Xie, A. Wang, B. Chen, "Nurse burnout and its association with occupational stress in a cross-sectional study in Shanghai. Journal of Advanced Nursing" , Vol.67, No.7, pp.1537-1546, January. 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05576.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05576.x
- C. C. Clack, Burnout :Assessment & Intervention. Administration Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol.10, No. 9, pp.39-43, September. 1980. DOI:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6903593/
- P. Van Bogaert, S, Clarke, K. Wouters, E. Franck, R. Willems, M. Mon-delaers, Impacts of unit-level nurse practice environment, workload and burnout on nurse-reported outcomes in psychiatric hospitals: A multilevel modelling approach. International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol.50, NO.3, pp.357-365, March, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.05.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.05.006
- C. K. Kang, "The effects of supervisors abusive behavior on job exhaustion and organizational effectiveness of nurses", Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.20, No.3, pp.438-446, March. 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.3.438
- S. H. Lee, "Effect of burnout, verbal abuse experience, and social support on job embeddedness in the small and medium sized hospital nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.16, No.12, pp.477-487, December. 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.12.477 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.12.477
- H. Y. Jung, A Study on Relationship Among Violence Experience, Coping and Burnout of Emergency Department Nurses, Master's thesis from Inje University, 2008.
- F. Luthans, C. M. Youssef, B. J. Avolio, Psychological capital: Developing the human competitive edge. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2007, pp 1-250. http://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195187526.001.0001
- S. N. Lee, J. A. Kim, "Prediction model for nursing work outcome of nurses - focused on positive psychological capital, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.50, No.1, pp.1-13, April. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2020.50.1.1
- B. R. Hong, K. M. Kim, "Effect of job stress, emotional labor, and positive psychological capital on the Job Satisfaction of Physician Assistants", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing , Vol.28, No.3, pp.176-185, August. 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2019.28.3.176 https://doi.org/10.5807/KJOHN.2019.28.3.176
- A. S. Wharton, R. J. Erickson, "Managing emotions on the job and at home: Understanding the Consequences of multiple emotional roles", Academy of Management Review , Vol.18, No.3, pp.457-486, July. 1993. DOI: http://doi.org/10.2307/258905 https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1993.9309035147
- T. R. Mitchell, B. C. Holtom, T. W. Lee, C. J. Sablynski, M. Erez, "Why people stay: Using job embeddedness to predict voluntary turnover," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.44, No.6, pp.1102-1121, 2001. DOI: http://doi.org/10.2307/3069391 https://doi.org/10.2307/3069391
- K. M. Kim, S. Y. Kim, H. N. Hwang, H. M. Hwang, H. E. Kim, E. S. Lim, Effects of job embeddedness, nursing work environment, and nursing professionalism on turnover intention in nurses working at rehabilitation hospitals, Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 22 No. 2, 134-141, December 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2019.134 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2019.134
- E. H. Kim, E. J. Lee, H. J. Choi, "Mediation effect of organizational citizenship behavior between job embeddedness and turnover jntention in hospital nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Nurse Administration, Vol.18, NO.4, pp.394-401, December. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.394 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.394
- National health and Medical worker's Trade Union, [Press Releases] Health worker surveys in 2019. Current Status and Status of Emotional Labor in Health and Medical Workers. pp1-12, June. 2019. http://bogun.nodong.org/xe/index.php?mid=khmwu_5_4&page=18&document_srl=544177
- C. Dormann, D. Zapf, "Customer-related social stressors and burnout," Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol.9, No.1, pp.61-82, 2004. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8918.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8922.214.171.124
- P. E. Spector, S. M. Jex, "Development of four self-report measures of ob stressors and strain: Interpersonal conflict at work scale, organizational constraints scale, quantitative workload inventory, and physical symptoms inventory", Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol.3, No.4, pp.356-367. October. 1998. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1037//1076-89126.96.36.1996 https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89188.8.131.526
- H. W. Kong, On the job behavior of financial service workers toward customer aggression: focus on the moderating effect of emotional regulation and psychological ownership , Master's thesis from Chung Ang University, 2015.
- C. Maslach, S. E. Jackson, "The Measurement of Experienced Burnout", Journal of Organizational Behavior , Vol.2, April. 1981. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- F. Luthans, B. J. Avolio, J. B. Avey, S. M. Norman, "Positive psychological capital: Measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction", Personnel Psychology, Vol.60, No.3, pp.541-572, september. 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x
- Y. D. Choi, A Study on the Antecedents and Outcomes of the employee's positive psychological capital in Organization , Master's thesis from Sogang University, 2009.
- K. I. Park, E. A. Kim, "The effect of nurse work environment and reciprocity on job embeddendness in the small and medium sized hospital nurse", Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol.9, No.8, pp. 63-73, August. 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.8.063 https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.8.063
- S. Y. Son, S. M. Kim, "The effects of nursing work environment and role conflict on job embeddedness among nurses of long-term care hospital", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol.39, No.4, pp.663-677, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31888/JKGS.2019.39.4.663 https://doi.org/10.31888/JKGS.2019.39.4.663
- H. W. Kong, "The effect of customer aggression on workplace deviant behavior : Focus on the moderating effect of psychological ownership", Korean Academic Society Of Business Administration, Vol.45, No.3, pp.795-828, June. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17287/kmr.2016.45.3.795
- H. J. Ko, J. H. Kim, Relationships among nursing work environment, job embeddedness, and turnover intention in nurses, Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol.22, No.3, pp.279-291, June. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.279 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.279
- C. Tanova, B. C. Holtom, Using job embeddedness factors to explain voluntary turnover in four European countries. The International Journal of Human Resource Management , Vol.19, No.9, pp.1553-1568, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190802294820 https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190802294820
- E. J. Choi, E. N. Lee, M. J. Kim, "The Impact of Organizational Commitment and Positive Psychological Capital on Job Embeddedness of Nurses in Trauma Centers", Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol.25, No4, pp.292-301. september. 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.4.292 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.4.292