- Volume 45 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Soft Tissue Myxoma on the Palate: A Case Report
- Ha, Ji-Woo (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Jeonbuk National University) ;
- Jung, Won (Department of Oral Medicine, Institute of Oral Bioscience, School of Dentistry, Jeonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Eun (Department of Oral Medicine, Institute of Oral Bioscience, School of Dentistry, Jeonbuk National University) ;
- Suh, Bong-Jik (Department of Oral Medicine, Institute of Oral Bioscience, School of Dentistry, Jeonbuk National University)
- Received : 2020.08.19
- Accepted : 2020.09.10
- Published : 2020.09.30
Myxomas in the orofacial regions are relatively uncommon tumors that occur in two different types: odontogenic myxomas and soft tissue myxomas. Odontogenic myxomas, derived from the mesenchymal cells such as papillae, dental follicles, or periodontal ligament, occur commonly in the maxilla and mandible. However, soft tissue myxomas in the oral cavity are rare and have been previously reported in only about 30 cases of unknown pathogenesis. The aim of this case report is to present a new case of oral soft tissue myxoma in a 37-year-old male patient who presented with a soft, exophytic round mass on the palate.
- Purdy Stout A. Myoxma, the tumor of primitive mesenchyme. Ann Surg 1948;127:706-719.
- Andrews T, Kountakis SE, Maillard AA. Myxomas of the head and neck. Am J Otolaryngol 2000;21:184-189.
- Epivatianos A, Iordanidis S, Zaraboukas T. Myxoma of the oral soft tissues: report of a case and literature review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007;65:317-320.
- Reynen K. Cardiac myxomas. N Engl J Med 1995;333:1610-1617.
- Ghosh BC, Huvos AG, Gerold FP, Miller TR. Myxoma of the jaw bones. Cancer 1973;31:237-240.
- Aytac-Yazicioglu D, Eren H, Gorgun S. Peripheral odontogenic myxoma located on the maxillary gingiva: report of a case and review of the literature. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008;12:167-171.
- Mascitti M, Togni L, Pirani F, Rubini C, Santarelli A. Peripheral odontogenic myxoma: report of two new cases with a critical review of the literature. Open Dent J 2018;12:1079-1090.
- Manjunath K, Jain MK, Jain A. Soft tissue myxoma of the cheek. Int J Stomatol Occlusion Med 2014;7:18-21.
- James L, Shetty A, Jaypal N, Okade D, Kailasam S. Oral soft tissue myxoma. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2012;24:152-154.
- Nisi M, Izzetti R, Gabriele M, Pucci A. Oral intramuscular myxoma: case report and brief review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2020.03.053. [Epub ahead of print]
- Allen PW. Myxoma is not a single entity: a review of the concept of myxoma. Ann Diagn Pathol 2000;4:99-123.
- Slootweg PJ, van den Bos T, Straks W. Glycosaminoglycans in myxoma of the jaw: a biochemical study. J Oral Pathol 1985;14:299-306.
- Hoshino M. The histochemistry of hyaluronic acid and related mucosaccharides in the cerebral and other arteries of the dog. Nagoya J Med Sci 1974;37:33-43.
- Hamza SA, El-Azab SM, El-Ghani SFA. Odontogenic myxoma versus soft tissue myxoma: immunohistochemical study. Egypt Dent J 2016;62:233-238.
- Ramaraj PN, Sah SP. Myxoma of oral soft tissue. J Nepal Med Assoc 2003;41:266-270. https://doi.org/10.31729/jnma.747
- Soda G, Baiocchini A, Bosco D, Nardoni S, Melis M. Oral focal mucinosis of the tongue. Pathol Oncol Res 1998;4:304-307.
- Tomich CE. Oral focal mucinosis. A clinicopathologic and histochemical study of eight cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1974;38:714-724.
- Prado JD, Andrade RG, Silva-Sousa YT, Andrade MF, Soares FA, Perez DE. Nerve sheath myxoma of the gingiva: report of a rare case and review of the literature. J Periodontol 2007;78:1639-1643.
- Rapidis AD, Triantafyllou AG. Myxoma of the oral soft tissues. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1983;41:188-192.
- Moore BA, Wine T, Burkey BB, Amedee RG, Butcher RB 2nd. Sphenoid sinus myxoma: case report and literature review. Ochsner J 2008;8:166-171.