- Volume 47 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An evaluation of a crushed stone filter and gabion retaining wall for reducing internal erosion of agricultural reservoirs
- Lee, Young-Hak (Institute of Agricultural Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Dal-Won (Department of Agricultural and Rural Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Ryu, Jung-Hyun (Department of Agricultural and Rural Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Cheol-Han (Hyundai City Corporation) ;
- Heo, Joon (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Shim, Jae-Woong (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation)
- Received : 2020.04.29
- Accepted : 2020.07.14
- Published : 2020.09.01
Recent changes in the disaster environment have greatly increased the possibility of internal erosion in deteriorated reservoirs; thus, countermeasure methods are required to enhance the drainage performance of embankments. Sand filters have been mainly used to prevent internal erosion; however, due to the sand depletion and environmental problems, new alternative materials are required to replace the sand in the filter zone. In this study, crushed stone was used instead of sand as a material that could satisfy permeability, material supply, demanding conditions, and economic efficiency. Although crushed stone has excellent drainage performance, it has a clogging phenomenon due to its high permeability. Accordingly, the materials need to be separated with a geotextile wrapping method. Additionally, the 3D numerical analysis and a large model experiment were conducted to evaluate the seepage characteristics and in-site application of the crushed stone filter. As a result, the crushed stone filter showed an excellent dispersion effect by reducing the pore water pressure by about 9.5 times that of the sand filter. In addition, it was shown that the safety factor for piping increased significantly by reducing internal erosion. When comparing the economics and supply and demand conditions of the material, crushed stone was evaluated as an effective method to reduce the internal erosion of embankments at deteriorated reservoirs.
- CAK (Construction Association of Korea). 2019. Monthly transaction price. Accessed in http://cmpi.or.kr. on 1 November 2019. [in Korean]
- Chen Q, Zhang LM. 2006. Three-dimensional analysis of water infiltration into the Gouhou rock fill dam using saturated and unsaturated seepage theory. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 43:449-461. https://doi.org/10.1139/t06-011
- Cleary PW, Prakash M, Mead S, Lemiale V, Robinson GK, Ye F, Ouyang S, Tang X. 2015. A scenario-based risk framework for determining consequences of different failure modes of earth dams. Nat Hazards 75:1489-1530. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-014-1379-x
- Costa LM, Alonso EE. 2009. Predicting the behavior of an earth and rockfill dam under construction. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 135:851-862. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000058
- Fell R, Wan CF, Cyganiewiewicz J, Foster M. 2003. Time for development of erosion and piping in embankment dams. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 129:307-314. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:4(307)
- FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). 2011. Filter for embankment dams: Best practice for design and construction. pp. 1-178. U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Flores-Berrones R, Ramirez-Reynaga M, Jose Macari E. 2011. Internal erosion and rehabilitation of an earth-rock dam. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 137:150-160. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000371
- Foster MA, Fell R. 1999. A framework for estimating the probability of failure of embankment dams by internal erosion and piping. University of New South Wales. UNICIV Report No. 377. Sydney, Australlia.
- Foster MA, Fell R, Spannagle M. 2000. A method for assessing the relative likelihood of failure of embankment dams by piping. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 37:1025-1061. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-029
- Fox GA, Felice RG, Midgley TL, Wilson GV, Al-Madhhachi AT. 2014. Laboratory soil piping and internal erosion experiment: Evaluation of a soil piping model for low-compacted soils. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms: The Journal of the British Geomorphological Research Group 39:1137-1145. https://doi.org/10.1002/esp.3508
- Jung HS. 1989. An experimental study on piping failure of earth embankment. Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society 5:17-26. [in Korean]
- Kim JM, Moon IJ. 2017. Analysis of river levee failure mechanism by piping and remediation method evaluation. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 18:600-608. [in Korean].
- Lee DW, Noh JJ. 2012. Behavior of failure of agricultural reservoirs embankment due to overtopping. Journal of Agricultural Science 39:427-439. [in Korean]
- Lee DW, Noh JJ. 2014. Behavior of failure on agricultural reservoirs embankment by riprap reinforcement method. Journal of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56:63-73. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.6.063
- Lee YH, Lee DW. 2018. Seepage characteristics of agricultural reservoir embankment considering filter interval. Journal of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 60:1-10. [in Korean]
- Lee YH, Lee DW, Heo J, Ryu JH. 2020. Model experiments for the reinforcement method of agricultural reservoirs by overtopping. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 47:163-171. [in Korean]
- Lee YH, Lee TH, Lee DW. 2019a. Overtopping model experiments and 3-D seepage characteristics of the embankment of deteriorated homogeneous reservoirs. Journal of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 61:13-23. [in Korean]
- Lee YH, Park JS, Fujisawa K, Murakami A, Lee DW. 2019b. Experimental study on seepage characteristics of reservoir embankment considering interval of horizontal filter. Paddy and Water Environment 17:273-280. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-019-00720-7
- MAFRA (Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs). 2002. Agricultural infrastructure fill dam design standards. MAFRA, Sejong, Korea. [in Korean]
- MIDAS GTS NX (MIDAS New eXperience of GeoTechnical analysis System). 2019. GTX NX USER MANUAL. MIDAS Information Technology Corporation Ltd., Seongnam, Korea. [in Korean]
- Park JH, Han KY, Ahn KH. 2009. Development of numerical model to analyze levee break. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 42:571-578. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2009.42.7.571
- Rotunno AF, Callari C, Froiio F. 2017. Computational modeling of backward erosion piping. Model, Simulation, and Experimental Issues in Structural Mechanics 8:225-234. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-48884-4_12
- Sharif YA, Elkholy M, Hanif Chaudhry M, Imran J. 2015. Experimental study on the piping erosion process in earthen embankments. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 141:04015012. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001019
- USACE (United States Army Corps of Engineers). 2004. General design and construction considerations for earth and rock-fill dams. Manual No. 1110-2-2300. USACE, Washington, D.C., USA.
- USBR (U. S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Reclamation). 2017. Evaluation of numerical models for simulating embankment dam erosion and breach processes. Report No. DSO-2017-02. pp. 1-91. USBR, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Van Beek VM, Bezuijen A, Sellmeijer JB, Barends FBJ. 2014. Initiation of backward erosion piping in uniform sands. Geotechnique 64:927-941. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.13.P.210