- Volume 47 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Taiwanese consumers' preference for dried persimmons related to the Korean wave
- Park, Jaehong (Department of Food Economics and Service, Yeungnam University) ;
- Hong, Seungjee (Department of Agricultural Economics, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2020.05.12
- Accepted : 2020.07.27
- Published : 2020.09.01
This study did an empirical analysis using consumer survey data to determine whether Taiwanese consumers' preference for the Korean Wave affects their preference for Korean dried persimmons. There were 158 effective respondents used for the analysis, and the effects of the Korean Wave was estimated using ordered logit regression. The main results of this study were as follows. First, females more preferred Korean dried persimmons compared to men. Second, it was found that the housewife variable had a statistically significant positive effect at a significance level of 1% indicating that the degree of preference for Korean dried persimmons was higher compared to other occupations. Third, when the main place for purchasing dried persimmons was a department store or a large discount store, the analysis result showed a positive effect at a significance level of 1%. Finally, the Korean wave effect was found to have a statistically significant positive influence at a 1% significance level. In particular, it is worth noting that as the Taiwanese consumers' preference for the Korean Wave increased, the preference for Korean dried persimmons increased, which could be useful information for companies wishing to export Korean dried persimmon products to Taiwan. As a promotional plan for revitalizing Korean dried persimmons in Taiwan, conducting promotional events in conjunction with the Korean Wave, such as K-pop contests, and promoting persimmons that reflect Korean traditional culture should be considered.
- Agriculture and Food Agency, COA, Executive Yuan. 2019. Yearly report of Taiwan's agriculture. Accessed in https://eng.coa.gov.tw on 1 January 2020.
- Choi EH, Zhao WW. 2018. The impact of Korean wave on Korean cosmetics exports to China. The Journal of Northeast Asian Economic Studies 30:21-43. [in Korean]
- Green WH. 2012. Econometric analysis, 7th edition. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, USA.
- Han GO, Yeo MS, Hong SJ. 2017. Ways of reducing the perception gap between rural residents and urban-to-rural migrants. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 44:440-450. [in Korean]
- Hong NK, Cho JH, Kim TK. 2013. Feasibility of exporting apple to Thailand using Korean wave. The Journal of the Korean Society of International Agriculture 25:100-109. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.12719/KSIA.2013.25.2.100
- Hong NK, Kim TK. 2013. Analysis of attribute importance-performance of Korean apples for southeast Asian consumers. Current Research on Agriculture and Life Sciences 31:182-192. [in Korean]
- KFS (Korea Forest Service). 2012. The development of strategies for export increasement on astringent persimmon. KFS, Daejeon, Korea. [in Korean]
- KFS (Korea Forest Service). 2019. 2019 Statistical yearbook of forestry. KFS, Daejeon, Korea.
- Kim JY, Ahn KM. 2012. How Chinese population's preference to Korean wave contents does influence their intent to purchase Korean product, visit Korea and learn Hangul. Journal of the Korean Contents Association 12:447-458. [in Korean]
- Kim SH, Kim KP, Han JH. 2018. A study on the determinants of the Vietnamese consumers' purchase intentions of Korean agro-food. Journal of Rural Development 41:75-100. [in Korean]
- KREI (Korea Rural Economic Institute). 2019a. 2019 Agricultural outlook. Accessed in http://library.krei.re.kr/pyxisapi/1/digital-files/d4b1612f-1649-44b8-b92e-ab0a1bb878e9 on 18 January 2020.
- KREI (Korea Rural Economic Institute). 2019b. Forest outlook. Accessed in http://www.krei.re.kr/krei/selectBbsNttList.do?bbsNo=74&key=81 on 20 January 2020.
- Lee HR, Chae MS. 2019. The effects of Vietnamese consumers' perceived Korean wave brand localness on the country affinity, consumer attitude and purchasing intention. International Business Journal 30:87-117. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.14365/ibj.2019.30.1.4
- Lee JE, Kang JW, Park JM. 2018. The effects of satisfaction and exposure to the Korean wave contents on purchase intentions of Korean products: Focusing on the moderating effect of ethnocentrism. International Business Journal 29:73-97. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.14365/ibj.2018.29.2.3
- TRADE MAP. 2019. Trade statistics for international business development. Accessed in https://www.trademap.org on 14 January 2020.
- TWFood. 2019. Wholesale market information. Accessed in https://www.twfood.cc/fruit on 10 January 2020.
- Yoo JH, Kim SH, Yoo JY. 2018. Factors affecting consumers' preferences for US beef. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 45:905-916. [in Korean]