- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Semi-distributed dynamic inter-cell interference coordination scheme for interference avoidance in heterogeneous networks
- Padmaloshani, Palanisamy (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Muthayammal Engineering College) ;
- Nirmala, Sivaraj (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Sri Eshwar College of Engineering)
- Received : 2018.07.11
- Accepted : 2019.04.28
- Published : 2020.04.03
Inter-cell interference (ICI) is a major problem in heterogeneous networks, such as two-tier femtocell (FC) networks, because it leads to poor cell-edge throughput and system capacity. Dynamic ICI coordination (ICIC) schemes, which do not require prior frequency planning, must be employed for interference avoidance in such networks. In contrast to existing dynamic ICIC schemes that focus on homogeneous network scenarios, we propose a novel semi-distributed dynamic ICIC scheme to mitigate interference in heterogeneous network scenarios. With the goal of maximizing the utility of individual users, two separate algorithms, namely the FC base station (FBS)-level algorithm and FC management system (FMS)-level algorithm, are employed to restrict resource usage by dominant interference-creating cells. The distributed functionality of the FBS-level algorithm and low computational complexity of the FMS-level algorithm are the main advantages of the proposed scheme. Simulation results demonstrate improvement in cell-edge performance with no impact on system capacity or user fairness, which confirms the effectiveness of the proposed scheme compared to static and semi-static ICIC schemes.
- J. G. Andrews et al., What will 5G Be?, IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 32 (2014), no. 6, 1065-1082. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2014.2328098
- V. Chandrasekhar, J. G. Andrews, and A. Gatherer, Femtocell networks: a survey, IEEE Commun. Mag. 46 (2008), no. 9, 59-67. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2008.4623708
- D. Lopez‐Perez et al., OFDMA femtocells: a roadmap on interference avoidance, IEEE Commun. Mag. 47 (2009), no. 9, 41-48. https://doi.org/10.1109/mcom.2009.5277454
- J. G. Andrews et al., Femtocells: past, present, and future, IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 30 (2012), no. 3, 497-508. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2012.120401
- V. Chandrasekhar et al., Power control in two‐tier femtocell networks, IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun. 8 (2009), 4316-4328. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2009.081386
- X. Xu, G. Kutrolli, and R. Mathar, Autonomous Downlink Power Control for LTE Femtocells Based on Channel Quality Indicator, in IEEE Annu. Int. Symp. Personal, Indoor, Mobile Radio Commun., London, UK, 2013, pp. 3065-3070.
- A. Abdelnasser, E. Hossain, and D. I. Kim, Tier‐aware resource allocation in OFDMA macrocell‐small cell networks, IEEE Trans. Commun. 63 (2015), no. 3, 695-710. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2015.2397888
- I. AlQerm and B. Shihada, Energy efficient power allocation in multi‐tier 5G Networks using enhanced online learning, IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 66 (2017), no. 12, 11086-11097. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2017.2731798
- W. Jing et al., Proportional‐fair energy‐efficient radio resource allocation for OFDMA small cell networks, Wireless Netw. 24 (2018), no. 3, 695-707. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-016-1359-z
- J. Xiang et al., Downlink spectrum sharing for cognitive radio femtocell networks, IEEE Syst. J. 4 (2010), no. 4, 524-534. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSYST.2010.2083230
- S. Yu Lien, Y. Y. Lin, and K. C. Chen. Cognitive and game‐theoretical radio resource management for autonomous femtocells with QoS guarantees, IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun. 10 (2011), no. 7, 2196-2206. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2011.060711.100737
- S. Park et al., Beam subset selection strategy for interference reduction in two‐tier femtocell networks, IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun. 9 (2010), no. 11, 3440-3449. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2010.092410.091171
- S. Park et al., A Beamforming codebook restriction for cross‐tier interference coordination in two‐tier femtocell networks, IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 60 (2011), no. 4, 1651-1663. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2115262
- G. D. Gonzalez et al., Static inter‐cell interference coordination techniques for LTE networks: a fair performance assessment, in Int. Workshop Multiple Access Commun., Barcelona, Spain, 2010, pp. 211-222.
- M. Rahman and H. Yanikomeroglu, Enhancing cell - edge performance: a downlink dynamic interference avoidance scheme with inter-cell coordination, IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun. 9 (2010), no. 4, 1414-1425. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2010.04.090256
- D. Lopez- Perez et al., Enhanced inter - cell interference coordination challenges in heterogeneous networks, IEEE Wireless Commun. 18 (2011), no. 3, 22-30. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2011.5876497
- U. K. Jang et al., Interference management with block diagonalization for macro/femto coexisting networks, ETRI J. 34 (2012), no. 3, 297-307. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.12.0110.0793
- A. S. Hamza et al., A survey on inter-cell interference coordination techniques in OFDMA‐based cellular networks, IEEE Commun. Surveys Tutorials 15 (2013), no. 4, 1642-1670. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2013.013013.00028
- C. Zhang et al., Quasi-distributed Interference Coordination for HSPA HetNet, ETRI J. 36 (2014), no. 1, 31-41. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.14.0113.0455
- M. Simsek, M. Bennis, and I. Guvenc, Learning based frequency- and time‐domain inter-cell interference coordination in HetNet, IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 64 (2015), no. 10, 4589-4602. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2014.2374237
- J. Ghosh and S. D. Roy, Mitigating ICI at cell-edges in cognitive femtocell networks through fractional frequency reuse, Int. J. Commun. Netw. Distributed Syst. 16 (2016), no. 2, 162-175. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJCNDS.2016.074549
- F. Ahmed, A. A. Dowhuszko, and O. Tirkkonen, Self-organizing algorithms for interference coordination in small cell networks, IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 66 (2017), no. 9, 8333-8346. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2017.2695400
- FemtoForum, Interference Management in OFDMA Femtocells, Whitepaper, 2010, Available from: www.femtoforum.org.
- J. Chen et al., Femtocells - architecture & network aspects, Qualcomm 28 (2010), 1-7.
- H. W. Kuhn, The hungarian method for the assignment problem, Naval Research Logistics Quarterly 2 (1995), 83-97.
- H. Zarrinkoub, Link Adaptation, in Understanding LTE with MATLAB from Mathematical Modeling to Simulation and Prototyping, Chichester, UK: John Wiley Publications, 2014, pp. 263-285.
- R. K. Jain, D. W. Chiu, and W. R. Hawe., A Quantitative Measure of Fairness and Discrimination for Resource Allocation and Shared Computer System, Tech. Report, Digital Equipment Corporation, Hudson MA, 1984.
- D. Bilios et al., Optimization of fractional frequency reuse in longterm evolution networks, in IEEE Wireless Commun. Netw. Conf., Shanghai, China, 2012, pp. 1875-1879.
- F. Burgeios and J. C. Lassalle, An Extension of Munkres Algorithm for the Assignment Problem to Rectangular Matrices, Commun. ACM 14 (1971), no. 12, 802–804. https://doi.org/10.1145/362919.362945