- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Ontology-lexicon-based question answering over linked data
- Jabalameli, Mehdi (Department of Software Engineering, Faculty of Computer Engineering, University of Isfahan) ;
- Nematbakhsh, Mohammadali (Department of Software Engineering, Faculty of Computer Engineering, University of Isfahan) ;
- Zaeri, Ahmad (Department of Software Engineering, Faculty of Computer Engineering, University of Isfahan)
- Received : 2018.06.11
- Accepted : 2019.07.29
- Published : 2020.04.03
Recently, Linked Open Data has become a large set of knowledge bases. Therefore, the need to query Linked Data using question answering (QA) techniques has attracted the attention of many researchers. A QA system translates natural language questions into structured queries, such as SPARQL queries, to be executed over Linked Data. The two main challenges in such systems are lexical and semantic gaps. A lexical gap refers to the difference between the vocabularies used in an input question and those used in the knowledge base. A semantic gap refers to the difference between expressed information needs and the representation of the knowledge base. In this paper, we present a novel method using an ontology lexicon and dependency parse trees to overcome lexical and semantic gaps. The proposed technique is evaluated on the QALD-5 benchmark and exhibits promising results.
- C. Unger et al., An Introduction to Question Answering over Linked Data, in Proc. Reason. Web. Reason. Web Big Data Era, Athens, Greece, Sept. 2014, pp. 100-140.
- K. Höffner et al., Survey on challenges of question answering in the semantic web, Semant. Web J. 8 (2016), 895-920.
- J. P. McCrae and C. Unger, Design patterns for engineering the ontology-lexicon interface, in Towar. Multiling. Semant. Web SE-2, P. Buitelaar and P. Cimiano (eds), Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, 2014, pp. 15-30.
- A. Bonifati, W. Martens, and T. Timm, DARQL: Deep Analysis of SPARQL Queries, in Companion Proc. Web Conf., Lyon, France, Apr. 2018, pp. 187-190.
- G. Xiao et al., Efficient Handling of SPARQL OPTIONAL for OBDA, in Semant. Web - ISWC 2018, D. Vrandecic et al. (eds), Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2018, pp. 354-373.
- P. Cimiano et al., Towards portable natural language interfaces to knowledge bases-The case of the ORAKEL system, Data Knowl. Eng. 65 (2008), 325-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.datak.2007.10.007
- C. Unger and P. Cimiano, Pythia: compositional meaning construction for ontology-based question answering on the semantic web, in Proc. Natural Language Process. Inf. Syst., Alicante, Spain, June 2011, pp. 153-160.
- C. Unger et al., Template-Based Question Answering over RDF Data, in Proc. 21st Int. Conf. World Wide Web, Lyon, France, Apr. 2018, pp. 639-648.
- A. Abujabal et al., Automated template generation for question answering over knowledge graphs, in Proc. Int. Conf. World Wide Web, Perth, Australia, Apr. 2017, pp. 1191-1200.
- D. Punjani et al., Template-Based Question Answering over Linked Geospatial Data, in Proc. Work. Geogr. Inf. Retr. - GIR'18, Seattle, WA, USA, Nov. 2018, pp. 7:1-10.
- J.-D. Kim and K. B. Cohen, Natural language query processing for SPARQL generation: A prototype system for SNOMED-CT, in Proc. BioLINK 2013 Roles Text Min. Biomed. Knowl. Discov. Transl. Med., Berlin, Germany, July 2017, pp. 32-38.
- L. Biermann, S. Walter, and P. Cimiano, A guided template-based question answering system over knowledge graphs, in Proc. 21st Int. Conf. Knowl. Eng. Knowl. Manag., Nancy, France, Nov. 2018, pp. 1-4.
- J. Berant et al., Semantic parsing on freebase from question-answer pairs, in Proc. Empir. Methods Nat. Lang. Process., Seattle, WA, USA, Oct. 2013, pp. 1533-1544.
- Q. Cai and A. Yates, Large-scale semantic parsing via schema matching and lexicon extension, in Proc. 51st Annu. Meet. Assoc. Comput. Linguist. (Volume 1 Long Pap.), Sofia, Bulgaria, Aug. 2013, pp. 423-433.
- M. Yahya et al., Robust question answering over the web of linked data, in Proc. 22nd ACM Int. Conf. Conf. Inf. Knowl. Manag. - CIKM '13, San Francisco, CA, USA, Oct. 2013, pp. 1107-1116.
- S. He, Question answering over linked data using first-order logic, in Proc. Conf. Empir. Methods Nat. Lang. Process, Doha, Qatar, Oct. 2014, pp. 1092-1103.
- S. Shekarpour et al., SINA: Semantic interpretation of user queries for question answering on interlinked data, J. Web Semant. 30 (2015), 39-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.websem.2014.06.002
- A. Freitas et al., Querying linked data graphs using semantic relatedness: A vocabulary independent approach, Data Knowl. Eng. 88 (2013), 126-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.datak.2013.08.003
- C. Unger et al., Question answering over linked data (QALD-5), in Proc. Work Notes Conf. Labs Evaluation Forum, Toulouse, France, Sept, 2015, pp. 1-10.
- C. Zhu et al., Semantic Technology, in A Graph Traversal Based Approach to Answer Non-Aggregation Questions over DBpedia, G. Qi (ed), Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2016, pp. 219-234.
- T. Hamon, N. Grabar, and F. Mougin, Querying biomedical linked data with natural language questions, Semant. Web 8 (2017), 581-599. https://doi.org/10.3233/SW-160244
- D. Mamgai et al., An improved automated question answering system from lecture videos, in Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Commun. Comput. Netw., Chandigarh, India, 2018, pp. 653-659.
- M. Devi and M. Dua, ADANS: an agriculture domain question answering system using ontologies, in Int. Greater Noida, India, May, Conf. Comput. Commun. Autom., Greater Noida, India, 2017, pp. 122-127.
- C. D. Manning et al., The stanford CoreNLP natural language processing toolkit, in Proc. Annu. Meet. Assoc. Comput. Linguist. Syst. Demonstr., Baltimore, MD, USA, June, 2014, pp. 55-60.
- P. N. Mendes et al., DBpedia spotlight : Shedding light on the web of documents, in Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Semant. Syst., Graz, Austria, Sept. 2011, pp. 1-8.
- G. A. Miller, WordNet: a lexical database for English, Commun. ACM 38 (1995), 39-41.
- C. Unger et al., A Lemon Lexicon for DBpedia, in Proc. 2013th Int. Conf. NLP & DBpedia, Sydney, Australia, Oct. 2013, pp. 103-108.
- S. Ruseti et al., QAnswer - enhanced entity matching for question answering over linked data, in Conf. Labs Evaluation forum, Toulouse, France, Sept. 2015.
- R. Beaumont, B. Grau, and A. L. Ligozat, SemGraphQA@ QALD-5: LIMSI Participation at QALD-5@CLEF, in Conf. Labs Evaluation forum, Toulouse, France, 2015.
- P. Baudis and J. Sedivy, Modeling of the question answering task in the YodaQA system in Conf. Labs Evaluation forum, Toulouse, France, Sept, 2015, pp. 222-228.
- S. Walter, C. Unger, and P. Cimiano, M-ATOLL: A framework for the lexicalization of ontologies in multiple languages, in Int. Semantic Web Conf., Riva del Garda, Italy, Oct. 2014, pp. 472-476.
- S. Walter, C. Unger, and P. Cimiano, Automatic acquisition of adjective lexicalizations of restriction classes: a machine learning approach, J. Data Semant. 6 (2016), 113-123.