Go to the main menu
Skip to content
Go to bottom
REFERENCE LINKING PLATFORM OF KOREA S&T JOURNALS
> Journal Vol & Issue
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Journal Basic Information
Journal DOI :
The Society Of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Editor in Chief :
Volume & Issues
Volume 10, Issue 2 - 00 1998
Volume 10, Issue 1 - 00 1998
Selecting the target year
A Study on the Symptomatic-pharmacology(病證藥理) Sasang Constiution
Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 1~14
1. Purpose : The correct constitutional diagnosis and the accurate prescription are very important in clinical application of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. Lee Je-ma emphasized that symptom is the best clue to diagnose constitution in "DongYi Suse Bowon". After research the characteristics of each constitution's symptoms and the backgrounds of constitutional prescriptions, this paper is to know the correct clinical application of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2. Method : Through the clinical applications of "DongYi Soose Bowon" and "Dongyi Sasang Sinpeun", the characteristics of constitutional symptoms and the application of prescription were researched 3. Results & Conclusions 1) The symptoms of Sasang Constitutional Medicine were came from the Hyung-Sang Medicine(形象醫學) which were important to mind-body equally and from the summarizing spirit of four Qi such as Warm-Hot-Cool-Cold(溫熱凉寒) 2) The symptoms of Soeumin and Soyangin are the Cold-Hot symptoms of ingestive food(水穀) and the treatment of symptoms is to control the ascent-descent of up and down. The symptoms of Taeumin and Taeyangin are the Warm-Cool symptoms of Qi-Yack(氣液) and the treatment of symptom is to control the unfasten-fasten of interior and exterior. 3) The symptoms of Taeyangin are 'Weak Lower part and Firm Upper part symptom'(下虛上實病證) and 'Blood and Yack Exhasted Symptom'(血液俱耗病證), the symptoms of Soeumin are 'Fall Down Symptom'(下陷病證) and Stomach Cold Symptom(胃寒病證), the symptoms of taeumin is 'Dryness Fever Symptom'(燥熱病證) and 'Interior Fever Symptom'(燥熱病證), the symptoms of Soyangin is 'Fire Fever Symptom'(火熱病證) and 'Interior Fever Symptom'(燥熱病證). 4) The characteristics of sasang constitutional symptoms are the exterior-interior symptoms classified with nature-emotion and cool-hot, the inclusive control of exterior-interior symptoms with healthy energy, and the classification of ingestive food symptoms and Qi-Yack symptoms. 5) The characteristics to treat symptoms are the classification of seriousness and obedience, the use herbs according to each constitutions, and inclusive symptoms control.
The Constitutional Ideas in the 『Huangdi Neijing』
Choi, Seung-hoon ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 15~28
One's constitution is formed congenitally and is also acquired, and is relatively stable in its individually manifested function, structure and temperament. It has characteristics of universality, complexity, generality and continuity. It is also manifested in physiological responses and expresses pathologic tendencies including susceptibility. Attempts at understanding constitution has had a long history throughout the world. In Oriental Medicine, the constitution had been acknowledged from the "Huangdi Neijing", which has been a bible in Oriental Medicine for about two thousand years. In many aspects, the "Huangdi Neijing" provides the basis for both basic and practical fields. In order to derive the ideal structure from the "Huangdi Neijing" to Lee Je-ma's(Lee Jayma's) Sasang Constitutional ideas, which can strengthen the understanding of ideal core of Oriental Medicine's constitutional characteristics, the author launched his analysis of the constitutional understandings in the "Huangdi Neijing" as a first step and came to the following: 1. The constitutional understanding in the "Huangdi Neijing" was done both via the physiological responses to heat, pain and acupuncture treatment and the pathologic tendencies via body structure, strength, body heat, courage and obesity. 2. It was recognized that the constitution was formed congenitally and also acquired factors like living conditions including food customs, residents and geographical conditions were explained in detailed. 3. The constitutional typology was suggested both by the general and systematic criterion according to the Yin-yang and the Five phase theories and by single criterion such as obesity, courage and the response to acupuncture treatment. 4. As diagnosis is related to the constitution, courage was adopted for the disease caused by emotions, obesity was for its manifestations of qi and blood, the quantities of qi-blood and Yin-yang in the typology by the Yin-yang and Five phase theories were suggested. 5. In the case of obesity, Yin-yang and Five phase theory, treatment according to the constitutional ideas was mentioned, and their goals were concluded as "being the balancing between Yin and Yang" which means the Yin-yang theory is more practical than the Five phase theory in Oriental Constitutional Medical field. According to the above understandings, the author would like to suggest that the constitutional ideas in the "Huangdi Neijing" based on the Yin-yang theory blossomed via the practical spirit of Zhang Zhong-jing's "Shanghanlun" and at last from Lee Je-ma's(Lee Jayma's) Sasang Constitutional Medicine which realized "the balancing between Yin and yang" through the practical applications of herbal treatments.
The Philosophical View of Nature on the Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Choi, Jong-duck ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 29~40
1. The traditional view of nature in oriental medicine originated with a horizontal relation between nature and human. But the Sasang Constitution Medicine is based on the thought that ethical value is due to nature and at the same time nature could be transformed by ethical inclination. 2. The Sasang Constitution Medicine is not only a clinical medicine, but also a nature-philosophical system which implies the korean general view of nature. 3. We must examine a thought critically, four seperated physical structure were indeed deterministic. A deterministic understanding is false, because it is based on the recipiency of western philosophical ontology without reflection. 4. Korean view of nature is not kept in the fixed structure, and then can be opened and transformed by personal doings (practical acts). It is important that Sasang medicine is the pathology centering on man which is embodiment of ethical judgements.
A Study on the Associations between Lee Je-Ma Sasang Constitutions and C. G. Jung's Psychological Types
Park, Hee-gwan ; Lee, Jong-hwa ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 41~50
The purpose of this study was to identify the associations between Lee Je-ma Sasang Constitutions and C. G. Jung's Psychological Types. In addition, this information could also be valuable in clinical practices. The QSCC II(Questionnaire for Sasang Constitution Classification II) and MBTI(Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) was administered to 319 volunteer male soldiers(
) in the army. The results were as follows; 1) Soyangin groups tended to be extroverted, sensing, perceiving types. 2) Soeumin groups tended to be introverted, sensing, thinking, perceiving types. 3) Taeumin groups tended to be extroverted, sensing, thinking types. 4) but, there were no Taeyang groups according to QSCC II. This results show that there are significant relationships between Lee Je-ma sasang constitutions and C. G. Jung's psychological types.
사상인(四象人)의 열증(熱證)에 대(對)한 고찰(考察)
Choe, Yong-Jun ; Kim, Gyeong-Yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 51~60
A Study on Disease and Medical Theory of Soyangin Bisoohan-pyohanbyung-theory
Choi, Ji-suk ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 61~110
1. Purpose : This study is a try for making a historical examinatiom of the symptom, principal medicinal substances and prescription of Soyangin Bisoohan-Pyohan disease. 2. Methods : I have examined the changes of the recognition of symptom and the history of the development of prescription by comparing the exterior syndrome of Soyangin, related prescription and principal medicinal substances quoted in "DongYi-Soose-Bowon" with past original texts and "DongYi Bogam". 3. Results and Conclusion : Lee Je-Ma adopted most of the exterior syndrome of Soyangin from Zhang Zhong-jung's "Shanghanlun". But he adopted only a few medicinal substances for prescription and most of prescriptions written after the Song period. The prescriptions for Soyangin Bisoohan-Pyohan disease are fundamentally composed of medicinal substances to lower yinqi and to eliminate the heat of thoracic part caused acording to the degree of symptom and medicinal substances to strengthen damaged yinqi are added to the prescriptions.
A Study on the medical and pharmacological theory of Interior-Overheated-Disease of Taeumin
Kim, Jong-yeol ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 111~150
1. Background and Purpose: I intended to understand the medical and pharmacological theory of Taeumin, through a study of the process through which Lee Je-ma discovered the Interior-Overheated-Disease of Taeumin and created the prescriptions for it. 2. Methods: I studied and analized the change in the medical and pharmacological theory, through a historical study on the quotations and prescriptions of "DongYi Soose Bowon". 3. Results: Through a literature study I could find that in the existing Oriental Medicine before Lee Je-ma, the difference of the Liver Febrile Disease of Taeumin and the Stomach Febrile Disease of Soyangin were recognized, and the prescriptions of the two diseases were a little distinguished, but the medical theories of those were not distinguished at all. And I found that the Liver Febrile Disease of Taeumin shows the pain in the eyes and the throat, and drying of the nose due to interior dry and heat, so it is different from the Stomach Febrile Disease of Soyangin that shows irritation of fever, headache, and the trouble in passing feces and urine. Also I could know that Radix Puerariae, Rhizoma Cimicifugae, Rhizoma Ligustici, Radix Angelicae Dahuricae, and Radix et Rhizoma Rhei are Taeumin's medicines because these medicines had been used for Taeumin's syndromes, and that Radix Scutellariae, Radix Platycodi, Semen Raphani, and Fructus Gleditsiae are Tae-Eum-In's medicines because these medicines are known as acting for lung.
The Bibiographical Investigation of effect of Clematis mandshurica Maxim
Jung, Kuk-yung ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 151~162
Purpose and Method : We have many difficulty of using the existing medical Hurbs based on the theory of Yin-yang and the five elements, this is why we still do not explain the Sasang Constitutional medical Hurb Classification and do not have the Sasang Constitutional Pharmacology exactly, so we easily enter into a dispute and confusion. So through literary consideration about clematis mandshurica Maxim. I try to objectify Sasang Constitutional Clasification of Clematis mandshurica Maxim and the spirit of using Clematis mandshurica Maxim and common property of Sasang Constitutional Medical Hurb and try to find out a clue that search the effect of other Sasang Constitutional Medical Hurb. Result : Qi(氣) and mi(味) of Clematis mandshurica Maxim has bitter and hot taste and have won Qi(溫氣), the color is dark, the using portion of clematis mandshurica Maxim is root as medial Hurb. So Clematis mandshurica Maxim fall down from lung and divied impurity and purity and able to remove the symptom that dryness and fever is solidified like Magnoliae cortex(厚朴). Clematis mandshurica Maxim have the effect of awakening Jin-Qi(眞氣) of lung and divide impurity and purity of Qi(氣) and ack(液) and improve the fuction and structure of Taeumin(太陰人) I think that the method of literay consideration on objectification of Sasang Constitution Pharmacology is of great value.
Introduction process of 'Corn' and its interrelation with 'Chinese millet' and 'Indian millet'
Kim, Jong-dug ; Koh, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 163~180
In 1492 year, the corn originated in America continent had spread all over the world after spreading into Europe by Columbus. Since the Corn had a similar shape with adlai's one (Yulmoo(율무)), it had been written by the different name of adlai (Yulmoo) at the "訓蒙字會(Hun-mong-ja-hoe)(1527)". Therefore we should consider "Hun-mong-ja-hoe" is the first record of the corn and it is a significant historic record in the civilization exchange between the Orient and the Occident that this record has the only difference of around 30 years later after the spreading corn to Europe. However, this is on the assumption that it is correct for a scholar of Korean literature to persist in that '叡山本' of "Hun-mong-ja-hoe" could be considered as the first edition. The corn had been once classified as a same kind of the Chinese millet because the people had been recognized the corn as a similar group of the Chinese millet and the Indian millet. The Chinese millet contains a summer vigor and becomes as an ingredient of alcoholic drink. And we can find out that
type plant (such as corn, Chinese millet, Indian millet, foxtail millet) mostly have a tendency to belong to the food for "Taeumin(太陰人)", because of its high energy efficiency, a flourishing absorption of fertilizing and a strong emission power. The fried corn with a strong summer vigor and a raised feature has a good effect to the treatment of the teethridge disease. And the tea of corn with an warm feature, thanks to its functions of making the stomach and intestines comfortably as well as urination, is a proper food for the 'Taeumin" who is apt to overeat themselves.
A Morphologic Study of Sasang Constitution
Lee, Eui-ju ; Kho, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-Byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 181~220
1. PURPOSE This is a quantitative analysis of Sasang Constitution by measuring human body except face. This study is carried out for the purpose of searching out the theory of Sa-cho and the morphologic theory of Sasang Constitution. 2. METHOD (1) SUBJECTS Subjects are 338 person came to Dept. of Sasang Constitutional Medicine (KyungHee Oriental Medical Center) and Oriental Medicine and Western Medicine Cooperative Health Examination Center (KyungHee Medical Center) from October 1997 to Jauary 1998. The mean age is
. (2) CLASSIFICATION OF SASANG CONSTITUTION QSCCII(Questionnaire for the Sasang Constitution Classification) is used for the Classification of Sasang Constitution. The distributions of Sasang Constitution Classification are Soeumin 83, Soyangin 98, and Taeumin 157. (3) MEASURING INSTRUMENT & ITEMS Length, Breadth, Circomferece, and Skinfold thickness of each body segment are measured by Martin's measuring instrument and Skinfold Caliper. Measured items of this study is based on Lohman's methods and is added new items. (4) DATA ANALYSIS The Volume, Weight, Rate, and Index of each group are calculated by using measuring items. The difference of each group is analyzed by SPSS 7.0 for Win. 3. RESULT (1) THE MORPHOLOGIC CHARACTERISTIC of TAEUMIN First of all, the Taeumin has a emormous morphology. His trunk is huge but head-neck and limbs is small. The volume and weight of head-neck is smaller than other body segments but the volume and weight of upper-abdomen is bigger than ones. (2) THE MORPHOLOGIC CHARACTERISTIC of SOEUMIN The Soeumin has a small morphology. His head-neck rate is bigger than Taeumin's but his trunk rate is smaller than Taeumin's. And his lower limbs rate is bigger than other constitution but it's not a significant difference. His neck is thinest and longgest than others. His chest is thin and narrow. His lower-abdomen rate is bigger than other constitution but it's difference is not significant. (3) THE MORPHOLOGIC CHARACTERISTIC of SOYANGIN Soyangin has a middle size at head-neck and chest part. But the rate of upper limb is higer than other constitution. And the rate of lower-abdomen part is lower than other constitution. but that's not significant.
A Morphorlogical Study of Ear, Eye, Nose and Mouth according to the Sasang Constitution
Hong, Suck-chull ; Koh, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 221~270
Objective This research is a study about constitutional diagnosis through the external appearances as a basic principle, and it is for finding shape differences of the ear, eye, nose, mouth according to the Sasang constitution Method We have collected 209 cases of patients of the Sasang Constitutional Department, including employees of the Kyung-Hee Medical Center and took pictures of the frontal view, lateral view, oblique view of face and measured heights, deapth, breadths of ear, eye, nose, mouth with 'The Measurement of R. Martin'. We analyzed shape differences of the face according to the Sasang constitution with certain results Results We got the morphologic characteristics of ear, eye, nose and mouth according to the Sasang constitution as Table 3. -Table 10. Conclusion : 1. The morphologic characteristics of Ear according to the Sasang constitution (1) Morphologic ear length, Physiognomic ear length, Ear lobule length is longer in Taeumin than Soeumin. (2) Physiognomic ear breadth is wider in Taeumin than Soeumin. (3) Physiognomic ear length, lobule length ratio is higher in Taeumin than Soyangin. 2. The morphologic characteristics of Eye according to the Sasang constitution. (1) Inner Palpebral fissure width, 5th Palpebral fissure length, Bizygomatic breadth-Outercanthal distance is the longest in Taeumin (2) Palpebral fissure inclination is widest in Soeumin. (3) Palpebral fissure length is longer in Taeumin than Soeumin. (4) Pupillary diameter ratio is the lowest in Taeumin (5) Palpebral fissure length, width ratio is higher in Soeumin than Taeumin. (6)zygomatic breadth, Bizygomatic breadth-Outercanthal distance ratio is the higher in Taeumin than Soeumin. 3. The morphologic characteristics of Nose according to the Sasang constitution. (1) Nasion depth is deepest in Soyangin. (2) Nasion to pupillary depth is deeper Soyangin than Taeumin. (3) Nasal tip depth, Nostril to Nasalalar depth is deeper Soyangin than Taeumin. (4) Subnasale to Nasalalar depth is the shallowest in Taeumin (5) Nasalalar height is lowest in Soeumin. (6) Nasalalar to Nostril distance is deeper Taeumin than Soeumin. (7) Nasal tip depth, Nasal depth ratio is the highest in Taeumin (8) Nasal depth Nasalalar heightratio is lowest in Soeumin. (9) Midfaceheight, Nasal tip depth ratio is higher Soyangin than Taeumin. 4. The morphologic characteristics of mouth according to the Sasang constitution. (1) Lower mid lip height, Lower philtrum height, Lower quarter lip height, Total middle lip height, Total philtrum height, Total quarter lip height is the shottest in Soyangin. (2) Upper mid lip height, Upper philtrum height is longer in Taeumin than Soyangin (3) Lip inclination is higher in Soeumin than Soyangin. (4) Intercheilion breadth, total height ratio is lowest in Soyangin. (5) Total lip height, Upper philtrum height ratio is higher in Soyangin than Soeumin. (6) Lower lip height Lower quarter lip height ratio is higher in Soyangin than Taeumin. (8) Total lip area is wider in Taeumin than Soyangin.
A Morphological Study On The Upper Face Of Moire According To The Sasang Constitution
Hong, Suck-chull ; Lee, Eui-ju ; Lee, Su-kyung ; Han, Gi-hwan ; Kho, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 271~281
1. Objective : This research is a study about constitutional diagnosis through the external appearances, especialy it is for finding shape differences of the upper-face pictures of moire, according to the Sasang constitution 2. Method : We have collected 98 cases of femail patients of the Sasang Constitutional Department, including employees of the Kyung-Hee Medical Center and took pictures of moire of upper face and measured 50 points. We analyzed shape differences of the upper face according to the Sasang constitution. 3. Results : Analysing the moire of upper face, the characteristics according to sasang constitution presented. 4. Conclusion : Soyangin had a projected part of left upper face compared with taeumin. With the image of moire, the characteristics of upper face according to sasang constitution was found.
Relationship Between The Sasang Constitution and Ace Polymophism
Choi, S.H. ; Yim, Y.B. ; Rhee, J.W. ; Kim, H.Y. ; Kang, C.H. ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 283~290
Sasang Constitutional Medicine focuses on the different constitutional manifestations of the individual's nature and emotions. The nature and emotions drive the ascending and descending of Qi in the body. And this dynamics of the Qi's ascent and descent shapes the different types of structures, functions and temperaments. Although Sasang Constitutional Medicine has many advantages, its diagnosis of the constitution still depends on the doctors' own idea and has no objective identification. So many doctors in Korea have been trying to solve this problem. Recently, there are several efforts to find out the relationship between genetic information and constitution. By the way, May, 1998 there is a astonishing report about the gene which determines the human performance, that is ACE(angiotensin converting enzyme). And it suggests that the I allele was associated with improved endurance performance. ACE has three genotype including II, ID and DD. "I" means insertion and "D" means deletion. We determined the type of the Sasang constitution with QSCCII questionaire and the one's ACE genotype with PCR of the 127 people and we discovered the relationship between the constitution and the ACE genotype. The result is as follow. Among 39 people who have the II genotype, 7(18%) belong to Taeum(Taiyin), 9(23.1%) belong to Soyang(Shaoyang) and 23(59%) belong to Soeum(Shaoyin). Among 62 people who have the ID genotype, 18(29%) belong to Taeum(Taiyin), 21(33.9%) belong to Soyang(Shaoyang) and 23(37.1%) belong to Soeum(Shaoyin). Among 26 people who have DD genotype, 11(42.3%) belong to Taeum(Taiyin), 4(15.4%) belong to Soyang(Shaoyang) and 11(42.3%) belong to Soeum(Shaoyin). This data indicates that there are implicable relationship between the Sasang constitution and ACE genotype. Especially people who have II genotype have much possibility to be a Soeum(Shaoyin) person (59%) and Soyang(Shaoyang) person have less possibility to have DD genotype (15.4%). With this conclusion, we suggest further study of relationship between the Sasang constitution and ACE genotype and we think that other polymorphism can be a candidate of the partner of Sasang constitution.
A Study on the Color Preference of Koreans by the Sasang Physical Constitution in Interior Architecture
Han, Gi-jeung ; Lee, Teuk-koo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 291~304
This thesis on the basis of the "Sasang"(the four classification by the physical constitution) that becomes the focus of the public interest in Korea intends to grasp a color image and serve basic materials for the color usage in the interior design planning. It tries to identify the relationship between physical constitution and color. The color planning for experiment plans to be related to Korean traditional color. Analysis result on color and color image to patterns of interior color shows that the physical constitution in measure difference is bigger than sex among the many image evaluation items. Therefore, the interior color preference of Korean is bright hue and tint such as warm and cool color.
The Study of Constitutional Dietary Therapy
Lee, Eui-ju ; Lee, Su-kyung ; Kim, Eun-jin ; Cho, Ryo-won ; Koh, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 305~349
We wanted to classify the food constitutionally. That was used to make the constitutional diet plan. And we checked through the clinical test. So the food was classified constitutionally by Sasang Constitutional Medicine(SCM). Constitutional diet plan was considered to Nutrition and Constitution. The clinical trial(use Taeumin diet plan) had performed during 8 weeks. We checked the Health and Nutrition condition. As the result, the Taeumin diet plan didn't change the health and nutrition condition of each constitution in good health. That could be presumed that constitution diet plan do not harm to healthy person.
The Study on the investigation of oriental medical theraphy(oriental medical theraphy by symptoms and signs and Sasang constitutional medicine)and the each effect of oriental medicine, occidental medicine and both joint control
Kim, Jong-won ; Kim, Young-kyun ; Kim, Beob-young ; Lee, In-seon ; Lee, In-seon ; Jang, Kyung-jeon ; Gwon, Jeong-Nam ; Lee, Won-oe ; Song, Chang-won ; Park, Dong-il ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 351~429
The Purpose of Study 1. Inspection of clinical application on TCD to CVA 2. Objective Comparement and analysis about treatment effect of Western-Medicine, Korean Medicine, Cooperative consultation of Korean and Western medicice for CVA The Subject of Study We intended for the eighty six patient of CVA who had been treated in the Oriental Medical Hospital at Dong Eui Medical Center from 1997. 8. I to 1998. 7. 31 1. View of CT, MRI : the patient of Cb infarction 2. Attack Time : The patient who coming hospital falling ill within the early one week The method of study 1. Treat four group of Korean medicine, Constitution medicine, Western medicine, cooperative consultation of Korean medicine and Western medicine. 2. Application of TCD Check the result for three times, immediatly after the attack, two months later, four months later 3. Comparative analysis of each treatment effect by clinical symptoms and pathologic examination 4. The Judgement of the patient The Result From 8/1/1997 to 7/31/1998, We have the following result by clinical analysis intended for CVA 86 patients who had been treated in the Oriental Medical Hospital at Dong Eui Medical Center from 1997. 8. 1 to 1998. 7. 31 in 1. Analysis according to Age The first stage of thirties, forties, seventies is heavier than forties, fifties in improvement and Index of improvement of symptom 2. Analysis according to sex We have no special relation in an average of symptom and improvement, Index improvement 3. Analysis according to Family History We have the better result in first stage and improvement, index improvement when no family history. 4. Analysis according to Past History We have no special relation in past history like hypertension, DM, heart problem 5. Analysis devided two group, above group and under group on the basis of the average in first stage of all patient. We have the better result when the first stage is light, that the first score of barthel index and CNS is high. 6. Analysis of the effect of treatment about Korean medical treatment, Western medical treatment, cooperative treatment. In this study, the highest group of rate of treatment at four contrast groups (Korean medicine, Constitution medicine, Western medicine, cooperative treatment according to dyagnosis and range of treatment was the patient group of doing dyagnosis and method of treatment based on constitution medicine theory. This is that of doing demostation, A-Tx, po-herb-medication according to dyagnosis and treat method of constitution of Lee Je-ma In case of left, the case of dyagnosis any disease according to doctor view but, normal in TCDwas 22-beginning of attack, 20- two weeks later, 11 case-four weeks later in case of right, 15-beginning of attack, 12-two weeks later, 9 case four weeks later. So left vessel compares to right vessel is more interference, in fact more than a 1/2 of the patients of MCA disease can't do dyagnosis. In rate of imparement, the state of pacient improved but there isn't the improved case of result in TCD. 7. In TCD dyagnosis, between the case of inconsus the doctor view specially MCA in brain blood vessel is in large numbers and in total 86's patient, impossible case of dyagnosis according to interferiance of temporal is 21 case. 7. Result study about application of Kreaan medical treatment 1) The impossible patient of observation MCA blood vescular for interference temporal bone happened in large numbers. 2) There is the case having difference result to CT,MRI, MRA result. 3) Because individual difference is large, excluding to ananalogy of symptom. This is normal numerical value that has possibility of being checked as abnormal numerical value 4) there are a lot of cases that the speed of normal part is as similarly measured as that of abnormal part. It means that we cannot judge the disease by this measure 5) It is rare that this measure represent degree of improvement in patient's condition of disease. When we observe patient's condition become better, but we have no case that the result of TCD test better. 6) The result could be appear differently by the technique of the tester or by the experience of the tester 7) In the TCD test, abnormal symptoms is checked at 0 week, but at 2th week, normal symptoms is checked, again at 4th week abnormal is checked. According to the above result, CVA diagnosis is difficult only with TCD, as it appear in diagnosis error check which is suggested in the problem connected to project, for the aged persons who have the worst hardening of part of the cranium (1998. 5. 26 77 of 83 patients is 50s) there is a lot of cases that the measurement is impossible by TCD and the correction of measurement numerical value is decreased, as the age of cerebral infarction is high, TCD is inappropriate to diagnosis equipment through this study.
A Clinical Study for 157 Cases of CVA by Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Choi, Jae-young ; Park, Seong-sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 431~453
1. Background and Purpose: We intended to make the standards of CVA management of Sasang Constitutional Medicine and be helpful to understand the constitutional symptoms through a clinical study of CVA. 2. Methods: We studied 157 CVA inpatients(79 men and 78 women) who were in constitutional clinic of Dongguk Pundang Oriental Hospital during 1 year from March 1997 to February 1998. We investigated and analysed the characteristics, past histories, symptoms and progresses of patients. 3. Results: The results of constitutional analysis showed 88 Taeumin(56.1%), 48 Soyangin(30.6%) and 21 Soeumin(13.4%). The frequency of strokes was much the same between male and female and the greater part of cases were 50-70 of age. The CVA cases were classified into 119 cerebral infarction(75.8%), 11 cerebral hemorrhage(7.0%), 1 subarachnoid hemorrhage(0.6%) and 26 trasient ischemic attack. From the standards of symptom management, there were abnormality of a coated tongue(63.1%) in most cases, sleeping disorders(48.4%), excremental disorders(44.7%) and urinary disorders(36.9%) on admission. With regard to the rate of improvement in the standards of CVA management, excremental disorders improved 87.1% and emotional disorder 81.0%, swallowing disorder 78.7% and so on.
A clinical study of Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang
Park, Seong-sik ; Kim, Ji-yong ; Choi, Jae-young ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 455~471
Background and Purpose : We intended to be helpful to understand constitutional symptoms of a disease and an application of the prescription through a clinical study of Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang. Methods : We studied 65 patients(40 men and 25 women) treated with Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang in constitutional clinic of Dongguk Pundang Oriental Hospital. And then we investigated the characteristics of Yangkyuksanwhatang treated patients, remedial values, onset of action and side effects. Results: Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang was used in all age groups both men and women. There were 37 kinds of chief complaints including chest discomfort, numbness of hands and feet, motor disturbance and skin disease etc. The distributions of remedial values were slightly improved(58.5%), much improved(12.3%), no improved(29.3%) and there was no aggravated patient. Using the prescription, mostly I prescribed only Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang without any changing, and added some herbs to the prescription according to the symptoms of a disease. Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang was affected in remedial values by the addition and subtraction of herbs. The onset of action in young age group was shorter than old age group. Side effects were palpitation, abdominal pain and indigestion etc.
소양인(少陽人) 옹저(癰疽) 치료(治療) 임상례(臨床例)
Heo, Man-Hoe ; Song, Il-Byeong ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 473~484
A CLINICAL STUDY OF THE OBESITY PATIENTS ACCORDING TO SASANG CONSTITUTION (Focusing on the physical views and diagnosis results)
Cho, Min-sang ; Kho, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 485~511
In orther to find the characteristics of each constitution, the examine of Kyung Hee medical center was diagnosed constitution, and resulted body measures and diagnosis. That was considered and the results are as follows 1. The obese patients is that there are the best many people(91.0%) to Taeumin. The frequency of Taeumin group is more than Soyangin group and Soeumin group. The degree of obesity grade is the highest in Taeumin. 2. The systolic blood & diastolic blood pressure of obese patients did not show any significant differences. Only, the obesity patients is the higher than nomal examine, without regard to Sasang constitution. 3. The hypertensive frequency of obese patients is that Taeumin group is more than Soyangin group and Soeumin group. there is not show any significant differences. specially, the hypertension of Soyangin group is caused by an ascending of diastolic pressure. 4. Glucose value of obese patients did not show any significant differences. generally, the frequency of Taeumin group is more than Soyangin group and Soeumin group. The diabetes of obese patients is the highest in Taeumin. 5. The serum lipids of obese patients did not show any significant differences. Total cholesterol, Triglyceride value of Taeumin group is more than Soyangin group and Soeumin group. HDL-cholesterol of obese patients is that Taeumin group is more than Soyangin group and Soeumin group. 6. The frequency of hyperlipidemia is the highest in Taeumin. 7. GOT, GPT of obese patients did not show any significant differences, but GGT is higher in Taeumin than Soyangin & Soeumin group. 8. Uric acid of obesity patients did not show any significant differences between Sasang constitution, but the value of obese patients is higher than nomal examine. The abnomality of Uric acid is higher in Taeumin than the other constitutions. The frequency of abnomality is the highest in Taeumin females. 9. Arteriosclerosis frequency of obese patients did not show any significant differences, the frequency of Sasang constitution is higher in Taeumin than Soyangin & Soeumin group. 10. Hemoglobin of obese patients did not show any significant differences, but Hematocrit is higher in Soyangin than Taeumin & Soeumin group. Anemia of obese patients did not show any significant differences. The frequency of anemia is higher in the females than the males. 11. BUN, creatinine of obese patients did not show any significant differences.
Effects of Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang(少陽人凉膈散火湯), Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang Indongduengjigolpitang(忍冬藤地骨皮湯) and Sookjiwhanggosamtang(熟地黃苦蔘湯) on the Alloxan-Induced diabetic Rats
Choi, byung-ill ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 513~532
In order to investigate the effect of the Soyangin Yangkyuksanwhatang, Indongduengjigolpitang and Sookjiwhanggosamtang that are the model prescriptions for diabetic soyangin. The contents of serum glucose, insulin, total triglyceride and urine glucose, ketone-body and urine volumn and body-weights were mesured on the Alloxan-Induced diabetic Rats. The following results have been measured. 1. Yangkyuksanwhatang, Indonduengjigolpitang and Sookjiwhanggosamtang showed significant decreases on the serum glucose and particulruy Sookjiwhanggosamtang decreased significantly. 2. The contents of serum insulin on the Alloxan-Induced diabetic Rats comparing with normal group were increased in Yangkyuksanwhatang and Indongduengjigolpitang with no significance but Sookjiwhanggosamtang showed a significant increase on the serum insulin. 3. The contents of serum triglyceride were decreased in three groups, but Indongduengjigolpitang showed the significant decrease and others did not. 4. The contents of serum total cholesterol were signicantly decreased In indongduengjigolpitang but Yangkyuksanwhatang and Sookjiwhanggosamtang did not. 5. The contents of urine glucose simillary decreased in three groups. 6. The contents of urine ketone-body were not changed comparing with control group in Yangkyuksanwhatang and Indongduengjigolpitang groups, but Sookjiwhanggosamtang group showed some increase. 7. The urine volume were significantly decreased in Yangkyuksanwhatang, but Indongduengjigolpitang and Sookjiwhanggosamtang showed the decrease of urine volume with no significance. 8. Body weights were regained comparing with control group, but only Indongduengjigolpitang showed significant increase. According to the above results, Yangkyuksanwhatang, Indongduengjigolpitang and Sookjiwhanggosamtang had the effect for hyperglycemia, particulary Indongduengjigolpitang was assumed as having the effect for hyperlipemia and weight-loss induced by D. M.. Therefore, by this experiments it can be concluded that Yangkyuksanwhatang, indongduengjigolpitang and Sookjiwhanggosamtang recorded in "DongYi Soose Bowon" have the effect for soyangin diabetics.
The effects of proliferation and differentiation on adipocyte 3T3-L1 by prescriptions and herbs of Taeyang-In and Taeum-In
Kim, Su-beom ; Kho, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 533~564
In order to know the effect of proliferation and differentiation on edipocyte 3T3-L1 by prescriptions and herbs, Taeyangin(太陽人)'s Okapijangcheok-tang(五加皮壯脊湯) Mihudeungsikjangtang Acanthopanacis Cortex(五加皮) Phragmitis Rhizoma(蘆根) and Taeumin(太陰人)'s Taeumjowi-tang(太陰調胃湯) Cheongsimyonja-tang(淸心蓮子湯) Cheongpaesagan-tang(淸肺瀉肝湯) Galkeunbupyong-tang(葛根浮萍湯) Coicis Semen(薏苡仁) Rhei Undulati Rhizoma(大黃) Mori Cortex(桑白皮) Ulmi Cortex(楡根白皮) Holotrichia Vermiculus Kalopanaxii Cortex(海桐皮) Ephedrae Herba(麻黃) Imperatae Rhizoma(白茅根), were used and had some effects. 1. The proliferation effect of edipocyte 1) At the Taeyangin(太陽人)'s prescriptions and herbs, Okapijangcheok-tang(五加皮壯脊湯) Mihudeungsikjang-tang Acanthopanacis Cortex(五加皮) have a control effect at the boiling water-extract and ethyl alcohol-extract. Phragmitis Rhizoma(蘆根) have a control effect at the ethyl alcohol-extract. 2) At the Taeyangin(太陽人)'s prescriptions and herbs, Taeumjowi-tang(太陰調胃湯) Cheongsimyonja-tang(淸心蓮子湯) Cheongpaesagan-tang(淸肺瀉肝湯) Galkeunbupyong-tang(葛根浮萍湯) have a control effect at the boiling water-extract and ethyl alcohol-extract. Coicis Semen(薏苡仁) Rhei Undulati Rhizoma(大黃) Morl Cortex(桑白皮) Ulmi Cortex(楡根白皮) Kalopanaxii Cortex(海桐皮) · Ephedrae Herba(麻黃) of the boiling water-extract, Holotrichia Vermiculus Kalopanaxii Cortex(海桐皮) of ethyl alcohol-extract have a control effect on edipocytes. Rhei Undulati Rhizoma(大黃) Ulmi Cortex(楡根白皮) Ephedrae Herba(麻黃) of high-density have a cyto-toxicity. 2. The differentiation effect of edipocyte 1) At the Taeyangin(太陽人)'s prescriptions and herbs during the natural differentiation, Phragmitis Rhizoma(蘆根) of the boiling water-extract, Okapijangchek-tang(五加皮壯脊湯) Acanthopanacis Cortex(五加皮) of the ethyl alcohol-extract have a cyto-toxicity on the first-differentiation. 2) At the Taeumin(太陰人)'s prescriptions and herbs during the natural differentiation, Ulmi Cortex (楡根白皮) Kalopanaxii Cortex(海桐皮) of the boiling water-extract have a cyto-toxicity on the first-differentiation. Cheongsimyonja-tang(淸心蓮子湯) Ephedrae Herba(麻黃) of ethyl alcohol-extract have a control effect on the redifferentiation. 3) At the Taeyangin(太陽人)'s prescriptions and herbs on the first-differentiation during the induced differentiation, Acanthopanacis Cortex(五加皮) of ethyl alcohol-extract has a control effect. Okapijangchek-tang(五加皮壯脊湯) Acanthopanacis Cortex(五加皮) Phragmitis Rhizoma(蘆根) of the boiling water-extract have a cyto-toxicity. 4) At the Taeumin(太陰人)'s prescriptions and herbs on the first-differentiation during the induced differentiation, Coicis Semen(薏苡仁) Ephedrae Herba(麻黃) Imperatae Rhizoma(白茅根) of the boiling water-extract and Ephedrae Herba(麻黃) of the ethyl alcohol-extract have a control effect. Kalopanaxii Cortex(海桐皮) of the boiling water-extract and the ethyl alcohol-extract has a cyto-toxicity. Considering this result, the Taeyangin(太陽人) Taeumin(太陰人)'s prescriptions and herbs have a control effect on edipocytes during the proliferation. Acanthopanacis Cortex(五加皮), Coicis Semen(薏苡仁) Ephedrae Herba(麻黃) Imperatae Rhizoma(白茅根) have a control effect on edipocytes during the induced differentiation. In the future, for treating a obesity need a vivo assay and hope this study to help to know the mechanisms of obesity.
Effects of Yuldahansotang and Jowisokmyungtang on the Blood Pressure and Renal Function in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats
Yun, Hong-sik ; Lee, Ho-seob ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 565~588
1. Background and Purpose : I intended to investigate the effects of Taeumin Yuldahansotang and Jowisokmyungtang experimentally to hypertension and renal function and contrived to approach these diseases by constitutional medicine. 2. Methods : I adapted two groups, normal rats and spontaneously hypertensive rats, to the same environment for more than 2 weeks and adminstrated water extracts of Yuldahansotang and Jowisokmyungtang. After adminstration of water extracts, I observed significant changes of values of the blood pressure and the urinary excretion of creatininine, electrolytes, osmolarity, renin, atrial natriuretic peptide and the plasma level of aldosterone, triglyceride, phospholipid, cholesterol. 3. Results : Yuldahansotang and Jowisokmyungtang decrease the blood pressure in the spontaneous hypertensive rats, the one by increasing the plasma level of atrial natriuretic peptide and decreasing the plasma level of aldosterone, the other by decreasing the plasma level of aldosterone, from which we could detect the therapeutic difference between Yuldahansotang and Jowisokmyungtang.
Immunoregulative Action of Bangpoongtongsungsan
Lee, Chang-kyu ; Song, Jeong-mo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 10, issue 2, 1998, Pages 589~613
The purpose of this research was to investigate effects of Bangpoongtongsungsan water extract(BTSE) on the immune reaction, anti-allergy action and anti-inflammatory action in BALB/c mice. The administration of BTSE (500mg/kg) enhanced the cell viability of thymocytes and the population of helper T cells in splenic T-lymphocytes. BTSE suppressed the production of nitric oxide, but enhanced the phagocytic activity in peritoneal macrophages. BTSE enhanced hemagglutination titer in mice. BTSE inhibited passive cutaneous anaphylaxis induced by egg albumin in rat, the lethal anaphylaxis induced by platelet activating factor and compound 48/80 in mice, and then inhibited the degranulation of peritoneal mast cells induced by compound 48/80. BTSE did not inhibit Arthus reaction, but inhibited the delayed type hypersensitivity induced by SRBC and contact dermatitis induced by DNFB. BTSE inhibited the acute hind paw edema induced by histamine after 30 minutes, the permeability of evans blue into peritoneal cavity induced by acetic acid and the writhing syndrome induced by acetic acid. These results suggest that BTSE has an immunopotentiative action, anti-allergy action and anti-inflammatory action via the inhibition of histamine release.