Go to the main menu
Skip to content
Go to bottom
REFERENCE LINKING PLATFORM OF KOREA S&T JOURNALS
> Journal Vol & Issue
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Journal Basic Information
Journal DOI :
The Society Of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Editor in Chief :
Volume & Issues
Volume 11, Issue 2 - 00 1999
Volume 11, Issue 1 - 00 1999
Selecting the target year
The Study about 「The Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases」 of Sasangin on the 『Dongyi Suse Bowon』
Lee, Su-kyung ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 1~26
This paper was written in order to understand each constitutional symptoms and diseases with two aspects. The first was to trace the courses to accomplish constitutional symptoms and diseases from that of oriented medicine through "Dongyi Bogam" and the original writing such as "Shanghanlun". The second was to analyze the constitutional diseases with Lee Je-ma's own recognition on human being and the society which was based on the "Dongyi Suse Bowon". The original concepts of 'The Interior Disease' and 'The Exterior Disease' were based on the Nature and the Emotion, the Environmental Frames and the Human Affairs, the Ears Eyes Nose Mouth and the Lung Spleen Liver Kidney. The exterior disease were caused by the abilities of ears to listen, eyes to see, nose to smell, and mouth to taste on the environmental frames which were related one's recognition to society. The interior diseases were caused by the abilities of lung to study, spleen to ask, liver to think, kidney to judge on human affairs which were related the relationship between me and others. So the titles of constitutional diseases were named by these views on his first writing of "Dongyi Suse Bowon" in 1894. So the titles of Taeyangin diseases, 'The lumbar Vertebae Disease Induced by Exopathogen' and 'The Small Intestine Disease Induced by Endopathogen' were still remained as the first writing. But the titles of constitutional diseases were rewritten such as present titles in 1900. In order to express pathology and mechanism of constitutional diseases exactly, he rewrote titles which contained the manifestation sites of diseases, and the symptoms of febrile and cold, and the different congenital formations of organs. The exterior diseases and interior diseases had three characteristics. The first was that the exterior disease injured by the nature which had a tendency to progress slowly and the interior disease injured by the emotion which had a tendency to progress rapidly. The second was not that the interior disease and the exterior disease were separated, but that one influenced the other and these were revealed as a disease together when the diseases continued for a long time. The third was that even though the disease caught together it was included the beginning disease. The symptoms in ordinary times was the origin and clue to recognize the constitutional symptoms and diseases. It enabled to establish the constitutional medicine which treated by different ways according to constitution. It had two characteristics which were different from the Traditional Chinese Medicine in appearance of diseases. The first was that the disease was progressed to the next step from the symptoms in ordinary times. The second was that each constitution had different symptoms which were due to symptoms in ordinary times under the same disease, The third was the manifestation of disease were different from symptoms in ordinary times in the same constitution. But the most important thing was that Lee Je-ma recognized these symptoms in ordinary times as four categories and he presented constitutional symptoms and constitutional disease. The four categories were the method to recognize the human being and the diseases for him As the symptoms and diseases of Sasang Constitutional Medicine were compared to Traditional Chinese Medicine, the constitutional diseases of "Dongyi Suse Bowon" could be classified into two groups. The first group was the unique diseases and symptoms, which were not in the Traditional Chinese Medicine, and which were established by the Lee Je-ma. These contained the diseases of taeyangin, the exterior disease of taeumin, the exterior disease of soyangin. The second group used the unique methods to treat disease, which were not in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and which were established by Lee Je-ma. This contained the interior disease of taeumin, the delirium diseases from the MangYin of soyangin, the treatment to help the Yang-Qi ascend and to supplement the ql In the exterior disease of soeumin. Especially, the diseases of taeyangin and taeumin which were caused by the metabolism disorders of Qi-Yack(氣液) were the great achievement to establish constitutional symptoms and diseases. The discourse of taeyangin diseases presented his original thought to recognize the symptoms and diseases through the Shin Gi Hyul Jeong(神氣血精) and the Qi-Yack, the discourse of taeumin diseases presented the disperse of Qi-Yack through the forward and backward of sweat, the discourse of soyangin disease presented the sweat of hand and feet which was manifested that yin-qi of spleen descended to yin qi of kidney, and the bowel movement which was manifested that yang qi of large intestine ascend to head, face and four extremities, the discourse of soeumin disease presented the Jueyin syndrome without the abdominal pain and diarrhea as the exterior disease and made importance to the nervous mind And the classification of exterior diseases and interior diseases were not due to the pharmacology but due to the symptoms and diseases according to the constitution.
A Study on Concepts of Stay·Practice·Meet·Manage through The Chapter of < Meditative Essay·Synopsis of Confucianism·I stay >
Chi, Gyoo-yong ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 27~38
This study is carried out to investigate the concepts of Stay Practice Meet Manage come out of
and to compare with Stay Practice Perceive Manage come out of
. Through this study, several important views and understandings could be proposed as follows. 1. Stay means stay at home with Doing homeworks or any other concrete things in his best and most righteous way as possible. And there's needed virtue of diligence. 2. Practice means do good one's behavior or don't violate etiquette. And there's needed virtue of ability. 3. Meet means meet with a lot of people and put them to rights or encourage them in their goodness in the course of acquaintance. And there's needed virtue of wisdom. 4. Manage means manage business or affairs changing from time to time, that is, decide and solve the complicated affair timely. And there's needed virtue of sincerity. 5. Perceive is substituted to meet simply. The reason why mind is substituted to people. 6. The abstract and philosophical conception of Mind Body Business Things can have vivid and practical meanings by intervention of intermediary being, People Ego Heaven Earth. As for Dongmoo, 4 items of Stay Practice Meet Manage are the aims and methods to accomplish the Confucian's utopia tilled with righteousness.
A Study on the Chinese Poems in Je-Ma Yi's Dongmuyougo
Rho, Ihll-sun ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 39~50
The Chinese poems written by Je-Ma Yi may be categorized into two different facets: one is about a broad spectrum of a man's feelings covering from delight to sorrow; and the other is about self-caution. He has been known to be a warrior having strong self-respect and a man of tough personality reluctant to compromise with others. As a result of analyzing his poems, however, it was confirmed that he was an ordinary person who got along with his neighborhood, took a pleasure in appreciating natural beauty and wandered around in agonies of pain. The literary features reflected in his self-caution poems are compatible with his own philosophical thought. Through these poems, he revealed his autonomous perception of life, and its ultimate goal was placed on the fulfillment of moral obligation, the highest value that a man should achieve as an individual. Je-Ma Yi's Chinese poems are in full harmony with the general tendency shown in the area of poetic literature during the late Yi dynasty. As pointed out above, particular qualities are represented in his poems, and thereby, from comparative perspectives with his unique literariness, future research activities should be directed to a well-defined study on other contemporary writers.
A Bibliographic study between Sung-Jung in and Sung-Jung in
and Sung-Jung in Chinese and Chosun's philosophy
Seul, Yu-kyung ; Kim, Jong-won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 51~73
1. Purpose of study In Sasang Constitutional Medicine, human's physiology and pathology are caused by Sung-Jung that joy, anger, sorrow, and pleasure' expression. So, the purpose of this study is to investigate the correlation between Sung-Jung in
and Sung-Jung in Chinese and Chosun's philosophy. 2. Method of study First, I made a thorough investigation into the meaning and change of Sung-Jung's concept in Chinese philosophy. Secondly, I did a study not only Sadanchiljung(四端七情) that the discussion is based on the concept of Sung-Jung in Chosun's philosophy but also it of Jeong Je-du (a scholar of the Wang Yang-ming school). Finally, I did a study Sung-Jung in
3. Result of study It is found that Lee je-ma formulated his peculiar system of thought (Sa-Sim-Sin-Mul) in,
, coverd the concept of Sung-Jung in Chinese and Chosun's philosophy.
A Comparative Study on the View of Lee Je-ma's Constitutional Medicine expressed Sasang ChobonGuen and Dongyi Suse Bowon
Lee, Jae-won ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 75~94
Purpose: This studied by the comparative method the view of Lee Je-ma's Constitutional Medicine expressed Sasang ChobonGuen and Dongyi Suse Bowon. 2. Method: I studied the view of Lee Je-ma's Constitutional Medicine classified broadly 'General view of life' and 'Constitutional view of life expressed SangChonbonGuen and Dongyi Suse Bowon. 3. Results & Conclusion: Sasang ChobonGuen gathered 'Seongmoung-Ron', 'Sadan-Ron', 'Hwakchoong-Ron', 'Byeonjeong-Ron' and a part of 'Jangbu-Ron' of Dongyi Suse Bowon. It is insufficient the explanation of 'CheonGi', but the fundamental spirit is same. The study of Soyangin is done earlier, the studies of Soeumin, Taeumin, Taeyangin is done later.
The Bibliographical Investigation of Sasang Constitution Diagnosis
Jung, Won-gyo ; Kim, Jong-weon ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 95~117
1. Purpose of study There are many Constitution theories. But, In the Sasang Constitutional medicine, the theory and the practice are connected systematically. So it has been used in Korea popularly. Lee Je-Ma suggested that the external form, the mind, the symptom are the criteria of Sasang constitution diagnosis at the Discourse on the Four Principle and the Discourse on the Identifying Four Constitutions. But The clinical importance study of three diagnostic criteria - the external form, the mind, the symptom - has never been studied. Therefore, there are many obstacles of using the three diagnostic criteria totally. And I think that it needs a study which we apply the three diagnostic criteria to practice and approve the clinical importance of one another. I classify and investigate the previous methods of Sasang constitution diagnosis by the three diagnostic criteria in this study. 2. Method of study I investigate the previous methods of Sasang constitution diagnosis bibliographically by Dongyi Soose Bowon, Journal of Constitutional medicine and other books. 3. Result of study (1) Study of the external form The Study of Ki-sang(氣像) and Sa-ki(詞氣) by experience and intuition was done previously, and study of imaginay formulation of each constitution by measuring Chae-hyung(體形) and yong-mo(容貌) has being done recently. (2) Study of the mind For the objectification of study and diagnosis, self-reporting questionnaire has been used. The ideal choice to determine an indivisual constitution, as far as questionnaire go, is to take results from both the modified version Sasang Pattern Identification Questionnaire and QSCCII. (3) Study of the symptom For the study of the symptom - constitution symptom and constitution symptom of disease - the study of principles, the clinical study of the type of disease and symptom, the study which the pathologic view of Oriental medicine apply the view of Sasang Constitutional medicine have been done. We must try to objectfy Sasang Constitutional disease.
A Study on the Sasang Constitutional Distribution Among the People in the United States of America
Koh, Byung-hee ; Kim, Seon-ho ; Park, Byung-gwan ; Lavelle, Jonathan D ; Tecun, Marianne ; Anthony Jr., Ross ; Hobbs, Ron ; Zolli, Frank ; Chin, Kyung-hee ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 119~150
In spite of recent remarkable recent development in both western and oriental medical sciences, there is still only a shallow understanding of individual differences for various prognoses of incurable diseases and immunopathy diseases. Nevertheless, the care, cure and prevention methods of Sasang Constitutional Medicine are broadly used as an effective treatment of incurable diseases like immunopathy diseases and stress-related diseases and diseases due to aging. In this sense, the establishment of classification norms is urgent and essential for the worldwide application of Sasang Constitutional Medicine(SCM). This study began with the confirmation process of whether Sasang Constitutional types exist in Americans. To accomodate for cultural differences, the distinguishing tool was readjusted so that Sasang Constitutional Types in Americans could be determined. Hence, the selected tool is the new QSCCII+, which is a newly revised English version of the QSCCII. QSCCII was made and standardized by Dept. of SCM in Kyung Hee Medical Center and Dr. Kim7). The evaluation methods of the old version were improved in the new QSCCII+ through necessary statistical manipulation. The original QSCCII was officially authorized by the Korean Society of Sasang Constitutional Medicine as the only computerized version of Sasang diagnostics. This study is the first attempt to design a new diagnostic tool for the classification of Sasang Constitutional types in North Americans with the revision of QSCCII. The subjects of this study were selected from the cooperative people among the students and staffs of the University of Bridgeport and the patients who visited the Clinic in the Health Science Center. This study takes for about 1 year from 1998. 8 to 1999. 8 The conclusions of the study can be summarized as follows: 1. Sasang constitutional types also exist in Americans. It can also naturally be inferred that Sasang Constitutional types exist in all human beings, for there are many different human races in America. 2. There are more So-Yang In's than any other types in American white people. This result confirms the hypothesis that there also exist Sasang Constitutional types in westerners. 3. The result of repetitive tests suggests that the new QSCCII+ is an effective diagnostic tool for westerners when we consider the constant diagnostic results of the QSCCII+. 4. Sasang Constitutional types exit in the sample group regardless of racial difference. 5. The question items that were not often checked by Americans need to be modified into more understandable expressions. 6. The standardization of diagnosis for Americans should be established by use of the QSCCII+ 7. It can be guessed that there are many Tae-yang In's among the 71 persons who could not be clearly classified by the QSCCII+. Due to the scarcity of Tae-yang-In in general, it is important to improve upon the discernability of the QSCC II+. 8. The results of the Sasang Constitutional distribution in North Americans are as follows: The percentage of So-yang In distribution in the sample group is 36.25%(87persons), that of Tae-eum In is 13.75%(33persons), and that of So-eum In is 20.41%(49persons).
The Study in Objectification of the diagnosis of Sasang Constitution(According to Analysis of the Past Questionnaires)
Kim, Young-woo ; Kim, Jong-won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 151~183
The object of this study was 200 patients who had been treated in the Oriental Medical Hospital at Dong Eui Medical Center during 9 months from Jan. 1999 to sept. 1999. We proceeded the judgment of Sasang Constitution according to 'Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification (I)', and 'Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification II(QSCCII)' and the diagnosis by a medical specialist. The following conclusion were made in comparison with Sasang Constitution and Questionnaire. 1. We selected the 84 subjects what had the statistical value out of the 196 subjects('Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification (I)' had the 71 subjects and 'Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification II(QSCCII)', had the 121 subjects). And we selected again the 73 subjects('Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification (I)', had the 33 subjects and 'Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification II (QSCC II)' had the 40 subjects) out of the 84 subjects, because it had a repeated subjects. 2. We made the Questionnaire what has the 85 subjects, including the subjects what was approved its statistical value by 'A CLINICAL STUDY OF THE JUDGMENT OF SASANG CONSTITUTION ACCORDING TO QUESTIONNAIRE' and 'A CLINICAL STUDY OF THE TYPE OF DISEASE AND SYMPTOM ACCORDING TO SASANG CONSTITUTION CLASSIFICATION'. The subject what ask the physique and the body form was 7, the subject what ask the external appearance and the posture was 7, the subject what ask the habit and the character was 3, the subject what ask the physiology and the pathology was 3, the subject what ask the phenomenon that he has frequency was 4, the subject what ask the eating was 3, the subject what ask the symptom that he has frequency was 14, the subject what ask the work and the qualities-defects was 6, the subject what ask the friendly intercourse was 7, the subject what ask the usual mind was 5, the subject what ask the emotional inclination was I, the subject what ask the behavioral inclination was 10, the subject what ask the character was 15. 3. In the new Questionnaire, the subject what has relevance to Soyang was 84, the subject what has relevance to Soeum was 87, the subject what has relevance to Taeeum was 70. And we made the point of subject with the statistical ratio. The total point of Soyang was 7785.04, the total point of Soeum was 7742.80, the total point of Taeeum was 7746.60. 4. As a result of judgment of Sasang Constitution between the clinical diagnosis by a medical specialist and the new Questionnaire, the diagnostic accuracy of new Questionnaire was 73.33%. The diagnostic accuracy of Soyang was low, the others was high. And the Taeyang was excepted.
A Study on the Methodologies for the Classification of Sasang Constitution by Analysis of Genetic Polymorphism
Ha, Man-soo ; Koh, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 185~194
Recently some report has been published on the classification of Sasang constitution by analysis of genetic polymorphism. In this study, to present the ideas in the study on the classification of Sasang constitution based on the genetic variation of individuals, we reviewed the previous studies dealing with relationship between genetic polymorphism and Sasang constitution and suggested new molecular biological methodologies applicable to the classification of Sasang constitution. The results were as follow; 1. In the studies on the classification of constitution by analysis of genetic polymorphism, the special genes were desirable as subjects rather than the non-functional part of genome such as inter-gene and intron. Since microsatellite is usually located in inter-gene or intron, representation of constitutions may not associated with the polymorphism of certain microsatellite. 2. It may possible that polymorphism patterns of the genes related to the expression of individuality is associated with the types of Sasang constitutions. Therefore, angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) which known have some role in the determination the human performance is one of the candidate genes can use for the classification of Sasang constitutions. 3. It is well known that HLA types are very variable in human and closely associated with the determination of susceptibility for certain disease. The studies on the polymorphism of HLA types may applicable to the classification of Sasang constitutions. 4. DNA chip technique which developed recently for the analysis of the expression of human genes may powerful tools in the study of Sasang medicine.
A Morphological Study of Hand and Foot according to the Sasang Constitution
Park, Eun-kyung ; Park, Seong-sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 195~207
1. PURPOSE This research is a study on constitutional diagnosis through the external appearances, and for finding shape differences of the hand and foot according to the Sasang Constitution. 2. Method We collected 148 person who were healthy and measured length, breadth, circumference and thickness of their hands and feet with 'The Measurement of R. Martin'. We analyzed shape differences of hand and foot according to the Sasang Constitution and made a certain conclusion. 3. Results and Conclusions We got the morphologic characteristics of hand and foot according to the Sasang Constitution. (1) The physical characteristics. The weight is heaviest in Taeumin. (2) The morphologic characteristics of Hand. (1) The wrist circumference is longest in Taeumin. (2) The finger length / hand length(ratio) is higher Soeumin than Taeumin. (3) The wrist breadth is largest in Taeumin(only male). (4) The wrist breadth is larger Taeumin than Soeumin(only female). (5) The palm length is longer Taeumin than Soyangin(only male). (6) The maximum hand breadth is larger Taeumin than Soeumi (only male). (7) The 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger length is longer Soeumin than Soyangin(only male). (3) The morphologic characteristics of Foot. (1) The foot thickness is thickest in Taeumin. (2) The foot breadth is largest in Taeumin. (3) The ankle circumference is longest in Taeumin(only male).
Constitutional Dietary Therapy in the Hyperlipidemia
Lee, Eui-ju ; Kim, Yun-young ; Lim, Kyu-seoug ; Kim, Sang-bok ; Lee, Su-kyung ; Koh, Byung-hee ; Cho, Yo-won ; Song, Il-Byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 209~226
In this study, we compared the effect of the Therapeutic Diet and Constitutional Diet on the subjects whose total number is 65 and has hyperlipidemia by checking the serum lipids 3weeks later, 6weeks later. In the Taeumin, there is a little difference in the two Dietary Therapies. Therapeutic Diet shows significant decrease in the total-cholesterol(6weeks later), triglyceride(6weeks later). (P<0.05) In that point Therapeutic Diet shows better effect than Constitutional Diet. Constitutional Diet shows better effect in the phospholipid by significant decrease in the phospholipid(6weeks later).(P<0.01) In the Soyangin group, Therapeutic Diet shows no difference, but Constitutional Diet shows significant decrease in the total lipid(3weeks, 6weeks later), phospholipid(3weeks later).(P<0.05).
A Study on Antioxidative Effects of Sipyimiguanjungtang and Osuyubujayijungtang, Korean Traditional Prescriptions for Soum Constitutes, in Brain and Liver of Rat
Jung, Bong-yeon ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 227~250
The free radical theory of aging was introduced in 1956 by Denham Harman. This aging theory proposed that normal aging results from random deleterious damage to tissues by free radical and supplying antioxidant lead to decrease oxidative damage, inhibit aging process. In this study, we investigated antioxidantive effects of four Korean constitutional prescriptions for 'Soum' constitution - Palmulgunjatang(Y1), Sipyimiguanjungtang(Y2), Osuyubujayijungtang(Y3) and Seungyangyikkibujatang(Y4). Antioxidative activity of this prescriptions was examined by 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhyrdazyl radicals, superoxide anion radicals, peroxyl radical, hydroxyl radical scavenging effects and erythrocyte hemolysis inhibitory effects. Y2 and Y3 were shown to have relatively high antioxidative activity on this methods. In additions, result of the cytoprotective effects of Korean constitutional prescriptions agianst 2,2'-azobis(amidinopropane) dihydrochloride (AAPH), a free radical initiator, induced cytotoxcity in human hepatoblastoma cell line was similarly obtained. On the basis of this result, we assayed the antioxidative effects of Y2 and Y3 on experimental oxidative damage, induced in mouse by 100mg/kg AAPH. Male ICR mouse were given oral administration of 500mg/kg Y2 and Y3 for 4 weeks. Thiobarbuturic acid reactive substance (TBARS) and protein degradation level in liver, plasma and brain as index of oxidative damage were decreased and thiol compound, total antioxidant status in plasma were increased by Y2 administration. But, Y3 injected group was decreased only protein degradation level in brain. Also, glutathione, a potent water-soluble endogenous antioxidant, concentration was increased by Y2 and Y3 administration in liver and brain. However, superoxide dismutase and catalase activity as a major antioxidative enzyme in vivo were not shown change by Y2 and Y3 administration. On the basis of these result, Y2 have an antioxidative effects on both water-soluble fraction and lipid-solube fraction in cell and tissues. But, Y3 has a lower antioxidative effects on lipid-soluble fraction than Y2 in cell and tissues. These results suggest that Y2 has a antioxidative effects by protect the tissue against oxygen free radical mediated oxidative damage and Y3 has a limited antioxidaitve effects on water-soluble fraction in vivo. Therefore, we make report that Y2 is more effective prescriptions for anti-aging or therapeutics of diseases.
Effects of Taeumin Chungsimyeunjatang on the Cerebral neurons injured by Hydrogen Peroxide
Ok, Yun-young ; Ryu, Do-gon ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 251~266
1. Purpose : The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of Chungsimyeunjatang on the cerebral neurons injured by hydrogen peroxide(
). 2. Methods : I observed cell viability in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to hydrogen peroxide by NR assay and MTT assay and determined lipid peroxidation and amounts of LDH release in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to hydrogen peroxide. After administration of Chungsimyeunjatang water extracts, I observed significant changes of cell viability, lipid peroxidation and amounts of LDH release in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to hydrogen peroxide. 3. Results : Hydrogen peroxide showed neurotoxicity. Cell viability in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to hydrogen peroxide decreased in NR assay and MTT assay. Lipid peroxidation and amounts of LDH release in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to hydrogen peroxide increased. Chungsimyeunjatang was very effective in blocking hydrogen peroxide-induced neurotoxicity.
Effects of Taeyeumjoweetang against Glucose Oxidase-induced Neurotoxicity in the Cultured Mouse Cerebral Cortical Neurons
Kim, Jong-kwan ; Ryu, Do-gon ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 267~281
1. Purpose : The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of Taeyeumjoweetang on the cerebral neurons injured by glucose oxidase(GO). 2. Methods : I observed cell viability in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to glucose oxidase by NR assay and MTT assay and determined lipid peroxidation in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to glucose oxidase. After administration of Taeyeumjoweetang water extracts, I observed significant changes of cell viability, lipid peroxidation in mouse cerebral neurons exposed to glucose oxidase. 3. Results : GO induced cell degeneration such as the decrease of cell viability was measured by MTT and NR assay in the cultured mouse cerebral cortical neurons. Taeyeumjoweetang was effective in the increase of total protein of neurons inhibited by GO. Taeyeumjoweetang was effective in the decrease of lipid peroxidation of neurons produced by GO.
Effects of Yuldahansotang after kainate administration in the mouse hippocampus area
Kim, Il-hwan ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 283~299
1. Purpose : Systemic injection of kainic acid in experimental animals induces the limbic seizure and structural damages in hippocampus and amygdala which resembles the changes in human temporal lobe epilepsy. The author performed this study to investigate the neuroprotective effects of Yuldahansotang, on the neurotoxicity induced by kainic acid in the hippocampus in rats. 2. Method : Kainic acid was administered intraperitoneally. And feeding with Yuldahansotang for 3 weeks after kainic acid administration. Seizure were induced in male mice (kainate 10-40 mg/kg i.p) and animals were sacrified at various time-points after injection. The experimental animals were sacrificed at 1, 2, 3day and 1, 3weeks while Yuldahansotang administrations. Seizure were graded using a behavioral scale developed in our laboratory. c-fos belong to immediate early genes(IEGs) known to have rapid and brief responses. And neuronal injury was assayed by examining DNA fragmentation using in situ nick translation histochemistry. 3. Results & Conclusion : Seizure severity paralled kainate dosage. At higher doses DNA fragmentation is seen mainly in hippocampus in area CA3, and variable in CA1, thalamus, amygdala within 24 h, is maximal within 72 h, and is large gene by 7 days after administration of kainate. And we can't see the expression of DNA fragmentation and c-fos in the mice what feeded by Yuldahansotang after 7 days from kainic acid administration. It is consequently suggested that Yuldahansotang may attenuate the kainic acid-induced neuronal degeneration and increase the immunoreactivity of hippocampus in mouse.
The Bibliographical Study on Antenatal Training with Reference to Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Park, Seong-jin ; Kim, Sun-ho ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 301~339
In Sasang Constitutional Medicine, Sungjung(性情) and physiological characteristics differ depending on one's constitution and in turn, the treatment and regimen must differ for each person. Therefore, by observing that antenatal training during pregnancy should be different depending on one's consitution in order to be more effective, antenatal training was compared to the constitution-specific regimen. The importance of antenatal training in Sasang Constitutional Medicine is based on the fact that the constitution of the parents determines the fetus' constitution and mothers' regimen during pregnancy effects the fetus' health. Since Kyungrakyangtaesul(經絡養胎設) supports weak Dangyuh(黨與), it can be used as a constitution-specific regimen during pregnancy.
The Bibliographical Investigation of the Lettuce
Kim, Jong-dug ; Koh, Byung-hee ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 341~359
In the medical science of 'Sa-sang', a constitutional examination(diagnosis) and a medical treatment are important, however a dietary cure is considered as very important at the medical prevention and treatment. But there has been a confusion due to the different view concerning the constitutional foods in between scholars. There it is necessary for us to bring up the theoretical basis of the 'Sa-sang' constitutional - dietary cure by menas of the bibliographical study in relation to a historic, characteristics, efficiency of the major foods.
A Clinical study on the Treatment of Pruritus
Park, Seong-sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 361~376
1. Backgrounds and Purpose : Pruritus, one of the most common dermatological symptoms, was clinically examined with a view to a better understanding of its characteristics for more accurate treatment. 2. Method : For 22 months from November in 1997 to September in 1999 we selected outpatients who had consulted for itchiness more than twice in the department of Sasang Constitution of the Pundang Oriental medical hospital, Dongkook University, and 59 of those (35 males and 24 females) were confirmed of their course of treatment. From their medical records and history, we learned the general characteristics and patterns of pruritus, and the qualities and effects of its various treatments. 3. Result and Conclusion : Pruritus was more complained by men than by women and the largest age groups were 20's and 30's. For its suffering period, the duration of 1 month to less than 1 year was the greatest, and most patients had already experienced western medical care. Itchiness affected them almost day and night. In addition, many patients had abnormal bowel habits as a general symptom. According to Sasang Constitution, the Soeumin gave sleep disturbance and indigestion; the Soyangin showed a different pattern in their tongue coatings and bowel habits; the Taeumin had different tongue coatings and sweating pattern. The commonly prescribed herbal formula for pruritus was Gakhangjungisan, Yangkyuksanhwatang, Chungsimyonjatang. As for their efficiency, 61.0 % of patients improved, whereas 39.0 percent did not. Patients aged over 30 showed a more significant improvement than those of 20 years or under, and the duration of less than 1 year was more significantly improved than that of 1 year or more. Those who had no experience in western medical care or had been continuously treated showed a more significant improvement than those with intermittent treatments, and severe pruritus was more significantly improved than mild pruritus.
A clinical case study of chronic inflammatory anemia in post-symptom period resulting Stroke of Soeumin patient
Park, Eun-kyung ; Park, Seong-sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 377~383
The anemia which is accompanied with chronic primary diseases has been showed most frequently in the clinic. The purpose of this study is to give an account of the effects of the Korean herbal medicine therapy which is based on the constitutional medicine for the patient who has suffered from mild anemia, pneumonia and general depressed condition in the chronic stage of post-cerebellar hemorrhage. The subject is a 75-year-old woman who has had the symptoms caused by hemorrhage, which are headache, dizziness, walking disturbance, dysphasia, and general weakness and so forth. Therefore, she has normocytic normochromic anemia in the hematomancy. We have diagnosed her as Soeumin(少陰人) Ulkwangjeung(鬱狂症) and have prescribed Palmulgunjatang(八物君子湯) in accordance with the principle of Seungyangikgi(升陽益氣). The consequence is that the accompanied anemia and genseal depressed condition have improved.
A clinical study of the treatment prescribed Hwalsuckgosamtang(滑石苦蔘湯) for the acute diarrhea
Park, Eun-kyung ; Park, Seong-sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 11, issue 2, 1999, Pages 385~389
Acute diarrhea is fastly progressing and its most symptom are caused by virus. It usually continue within 3 weeks. And also it company fever, chilling sign, anorexia and vomitting. Mostly, it is getting better by basic treatment but must be cautious about progressing to dehydration, sepsis or other complications. In this study, it is experienced that acute diarrhea patient, got sick by food, became better by treating in the point of Sasang Medicine. 75 years old male patient having abdominal pain with aqueous diarrhea (about 10th a day before admission), chilling sign, general weakness was classed as Soyangin having Shinhanbocktongmangeumjeung(身寒腹痛亡陰證). I prescribed Hwalsuckgosamtang(滑石苦蔘湯) by Peueumganggy(表陰降氣) therapy and his symptom was getting better. So report it.