Go to the main menu
Skip to content
Go to bottom
REFERENCE LINKING PLATFORM OF KOREA S&T JOURNALS
> Journal Vol & Issue
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Journal Basic Information
Journal DOI :
The Society Of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Editor in Chief :
Volume & Issues
Volume 12, Issue 2 - Dec 2000
Volume 12, Issue 1 - 00 2000
Selecting the target year
The confucian view of human being of Lee Je-ma and his spirits to apply Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 1~9
1. Objects of Research Dong-mu Lee Je-ma was tried to solve the diseases of human beings through Sasang Constitutional Medicine with new viewpoints on human beings and life compared with the existed medicine. So it was very important to understand his medical views in order to apply Sasang Constitutional Medicine in clinical treatment. In this paper, I tried to find his medical views on human beings, life, and diseases to get informations in clinical application. 2. Methods of Research It was researched as bibliologically with his writings such as "Dongyi Soose Bowon(東醫壽世保元)", "Dongyi Soose Bowon Sasang Chobongyun(東醫壽世保元四象草本卷)", "Dongmu Yugo(東武遺稿)", "Gyuk-chigo(格致藁)". 3. Results and Conclusions The conclusions were as follows. 1. "I Ching"'s recognition of Things is that based on Yin-yang theory, originated from Taoism, and aimed to 'the Fine point of Easiness and Simpleness(易簡之妙)'. On the other hand, Dong-mu's is that based on Sasang theory, originated from Confucianism and designed to developed 'the Fine point of Easiness and Simpleness' in view of Sasang(四象). 2. Dong-mu Lee Je-ma had devoted himself in his whole life to establishing new paradigm in the Confucianism, inventing new medicine and, furthermore, embodying the spirit of General health maintenance. 3. Dong-mu Lee Je-ma recognized 'the Fine point of Easiness and Simpleness' in view of Sasang and offered new viewpoint of human being through summarizing various existing viewpoints. 4. Dong-mu Lee Je-ma established new viewpoint of life span of human being through offering new ideas such as 'Inherent vitality(命脈實數)', 'Essential power of organ(臟의 本常之氣)' and 'Regimen in ordinary life(生息允補之道)'. 5. Dong-mu Lee Je-ma embodied 'the Fine point of Easiness and Simpleness' in medicine through offering, in a wide meaning, the spirit of the General health maintenance and the spirit of the Positive medical treatment.
Overview of four subgroups in Soeum(Lessor Yin) Constitution, Which are classified based on 'Chang(=Viscera) and Fu(=Bowels) meridian theory'
Yom, Tae-hwan ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 10~23
Four-constitutional theory proposed by Dr. Lee, Je-ma has been evolve for last 100years by his followers. One of the major progresses was the emergence of constitutional acupuncture proposed by Dr. Kwan Doh-won. Constitutional acupuncture included the new pulse diagnostic method to determine the body type, pulse diagrams and corresponding acupuncture method called five element acupuncture in which five-element points in 12 meridian channels are used. Dr. Sa-ahm proposed five-element acupuncture three and a half hundred years age. Conjunction of Dr Lee's theory to Dr. Kwan proposed eight constitutions with eight pulse diagrams. He also adopted eight acupuncture prescriptions out of twenty-four Sa-ahm's acupuncture prescriptions. The author, Dr. Yom Tae-hwa, proposed more inclusive theory of 24 constitutions with 24 diagnostic pulse diagrams in Las Vegas International Acupuncture Convention in 1986. This article reviews history of constitutional medicine briefly. Each step of theoretical evolution from four-constitutional theory to twenty-four-constitutional theory is explained. By understanding the theoretical connection between twelve meridian channels based on five-element theory and four-constitutional theory in the article, one will easily accept the emergence of twelve of twenty four constitutional theory. Next, the article is focused on four subcategories under Sao-Yin constitution, which are one-sixth of 24 constitution. in this section classification, pulse diagnostic method, pulse diagram acupuncture prescriptions and herbal prescriptions are explained in detail. Then, clinical trial reports of acupuncture treatment and/or herbal formulas for such constitutions are attached for the rest part of the article. the purpose of this paper is to present the new hypothesis with the result of preliminary clinical trial hoping that additional clinical reports from other practitioners in this field triggers well-designed clinical study in future.
An Inquiry into the Meaning of "Sasang" in the I Ching and Its Relationship to the Sasang Medicine
Lee, Sung-hwan ; Kim, Ki-hyon ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 24~36
Purpose : Many believe that the Sasang mentioned in the I Ching and the Sasang of Sasang Medicine (as expounded by Dr. Lee Je-ma in the book Longevity and Life Preservation in Oriental Medicine) refer to different concepts. This is untrue. In order to understand the thought patterns of Dr. Lee Je-ma and his book, it is necessary to first understand the concepts of the I Ching. The I Ching was the most respected text in Dr. Lee Je-ma time, and served as the foundation upon which his medicine stood. The purpose of this research is to understand the concept of Sasang in the I Ching and how it applies to the Sasang medicine. Method : The authors first defined the term Sasang according to the theory of I Ching. It was then discussed in relation to theories of modern science. Inferences were made as to how Sasang corresponds to the terminologies and concepts of modern science. The characteristics of Sasang interpreted through modern science were then applied to the physiology, pathology and pharmacology of Sasang Medicine. Results and Conclusion : 1. The Sasang theory of the I Ching organizes seemingly random and isolated natural phenomena into four distinct groups according to various attributes. The particular characteristics representing each of these four categories are known as Sasang. 2. The Sasang theory of I Ching has a strong correlation to the Theory of Relativity and the Theory of Complementarity, as well as the Digital and Fractal Theories. 3. By applying the Sasang Theory to various fields, the seemingly unrelated principles of physics, chemistry, biology and medicine can be seen as parts of a whole. 4. Sasang Medicine categorizes human morphology, physiology and pharmacology into four categories according to the characteristics defined by the Sasang Theory of the I Ching. 5. Grouping new discoveries of modern physics, chemistry, biology and medicine according to the Sasang Theory will bring to light the intricacies of the Sasang Theory while facilitating the incorporation of modern science into Sasang Medicine.
An Empirical Correlation Study Between Sasang Constitutions and Job Characteristic
Yoon, Sang-won ; Kal, Won-mo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 37~47
We detect lots of problems on the manufacturing spot because of working results done without considering the aptitude and inherited temper(constitution, blood type, male and female) of the worker, and they lead to results not only the occupational disease and the cause of industrial accidents but also quality deterioration and productivity reduction in point of view of manufacturing management. For the purpose of solving these problems, this study is perfomed by grasping the correlation sasang constitutions and job characteristic of small & medium enterprises. We classify sasang constitutions to four types : so-yang-in type, tae-yang-in type, tae-em-in type, so-em-in type by the utilization of QSCC II and the doctor aid of oriental medicine, and also survey differences of classified sasang constitutions with previous studies. This study tries to identify significant features between major jobs resulting from sasang constitution types in a specific small & medium enterprise producing agricultural machinery(a tractor, a combine, etc). The results of this case study indicate that sasang constitution types influences job types. Under the working conditions that virtual reality scene photographed by video camera are running, also the effects of brain function of each worker using Electroencephalograms(EEGs) are investigated. Electroencephalograms(EEGs) provide much information about the brain function, such as relaxation, concentration, various thoughts and so on. Previous studies reported the appearance of
waves and an increase in the
waves during psychologically satisfaction conditions. An statistical analysis of experiments conducted shows the various changes of brain waves(
waves). By means of these study results, we can identify that sasang constitutions should be applied to contribute much to quality advancement and productivity improvement through a comparative study on the job characteristic.
Group Brainstorming Activity according to Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Jeon, Kyung-won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 48~62
Creativity is the most important characteristic and ability in the 21st century. Recently leading people in Korean society are aware of the significance of the enhancement of the creativity. However, Korean students are less likely to take initiative or depart from standard ways of thinking or doing things, because Korean Confucius culture puts an emphasis on collectivism. An individual has an obligation to conform in order to avoid conflict and maintain social harmony. The rule of respecting parents and teachers leads to a lack of self-expression and entails silence. Brainstorming technique developed by American Osbron, who originated the group brainstorming in 1953, is the most popular creative thinking method for the students. Brainstorming technique has two principles : ideation can be more productive if criticism is concurrently excluded; The more ideas the better. In doing BS, each panel should consist of chairperson, an assistant chairperson, recorder, and 10 others including 2-3 females. However there are several problems in doing group BS, such as production blocking, uniformity thinking, evaluation apprehension, and social loafing. This study was undertaken to investigate the proper way of forming Brainstorming groups with Korean students according to the Sasang Constitutional Medicine originated by Korean Lee Je-ma in 1894. Human beings are classified in four group in Sasang Constitutional Medicine : Taeyang-In, Teaum-In, Soyang-In and Soum-In. Two Yang-Ins are more self-expressive : Taeyang-In has very unique ides and thoughts; Soyang-In is very humorous and like to present his/her ideas. On the other hand, two Um-Ins are passive and are not likely to speak out their ideas in group. Therefore, in this investigation firstly, the brainstorming group was formed with two Yang-Ins (Taeyang-In and Soyang-In) and two Um-Ins(Taeum-In and Soum-In) separately and secondly, Yang-Ins and Um-Ins were mixed. And the first method was compared with the second method in terms of the degree of participation of the group members and finally the better grouping method to produce more and better ideas was discussed and suggested for the educational system.
A Sasang Theory of Leadership
Kim, Mam-in ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 63~83
The common concerns of leadership approaches were focused on finding leadership factors or necessity of leadership change to proper leadership styles adapt to contingent change through observing various leaders' behaviors for improving organizational effectiveness. Basically, they assumed that the human could be adapt to any conditions regardless of his inherent characters though it is perceived generally that human beings have different attitudes and behaviors toward the same fact, condition, situation, etc. In other words, inherent factors that cause individual differences have been neglected but concerned only about postnatal environments which influence human characters in previous leadership studies. A number of studies concerning inherent human characters have been worked in Asia for the past thousands years, which enable answering to the questions; why the human beings have different characters and personalities, and how to manage them in the given life conditions. In this research, four type human theory(called Sasang Theory) which has already been widely used in medical field in Korea will be introduced and applied to leadership theory to indicate inherent causal factors of the human character that are expected to influence leadership styles. In process, two different methods, one is for leadership theory and the other is for Sasang theory, have to be considered to match the different ideas. The theory is so predictable that the result implies possibilities of further future researches in the organizational fields by presupposing human behavior.
Modern approach of the discourse on viscera and bowels and retrogressive disorder
Cho, Hwang-sung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 84~100
Are the body and th spirit to different things? How individual ability and feeling displays in a human being and what correation between the two lise physiologically? Namely, what determines the external and the internal world? By what physiological functions and circulations, it makes possible to indciate individual's characteristic? These kinds of questions in constitutional medicine is able us lead to the following approach.
A Study of preservation of health in the Dongyi Soose Bowon Sasang Chobonguen
Kim, Sun-min ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 101~109
Purpose This study is carried out to investigate the way of preservation of health. Method I studied the archives of the preventive way of thinking and upright habit of life expressed in the Dongyi Suse Bowon Sasang Chobonguen Result & Conclusion 1. For taking car of one's health and keeping quiet of emotion is more important than drug, we have to be cautious in extravagant use of drug. 2. For the preservation of health, it is recommended to observe moderation in liquor, sex, property, authority and discretion. 3. It is necessary for a man to do his best and to control emotion. 4. It had better engage in philanthropy than egoism.
The Bibiographical investigation of effect of GYPSUM FIBROSUM in Dongyi Soose Bowon
Jung, Kwang-hee ; Koh, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 110~119
1. Purpose and Method We do not have the Sasagn Consitutional Pharmacology exactly. So we use Sasagn Consitutional medical herbs based on the theory of Yin-yang and the five elements herbology. So I try to objectify Sasagn Consitutional Classification of Gypsum Fibrosum in DongyiSooseBowon. Among the soyangin(少陽人) Pyobyung(表病) prescription, Fever MangYin Symptom(fever, headache, diarrhea) prescription include Gypsum Fibrosum, Cold MangYin Symptom(cold, pain in abdomen, diarrhea) prescription does not include Gypsum Fibrosum. So, I to make manifest the spirit of using Gypsum Fibrosum in Soyangin(少陽人) PyoByung(表炳), and the differences of two symptom, and the literature on this subject, I searched oriental medical books. 2. result 1. The management of Gypsum Fibrosum is to grind and make powder. 2. The spirit of using Gypsum Fibrosum in Soyangin(少陽人) Fever MangYi Symptom(fever, headache, diarrhea) prescription is Cleanse the Inside fever and Down the Outside Yin. 3. Fever MangYin Symptom(fever, headache, diarrhea) prescription include Gypsum Fibrosum, Cold MangYin Symptom(cold, pain in abdomen, diarrhea) prescription does not include Gypsum Fibrosum. and The Important syndrome of using Gypsum Fibrosum in Soyangin(少陽人) Fever MangYin Symptom(fever, headache, diarrhea) is fever and headache. 4. Gypsum Fibrosum is The representative herb on Soyangin FeverSymptom. 5. The site of therapeutic action of Gypsum Fibrosum is Wiguk(胃局) - Upper Juncho
The Clinical Study on the Constitutional symptomatic pattern of Soyangin and Taeumin inpatients in stroke
Lee, Jun-hee ; Koh, Byung-hee ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 120~135
Objective ; The purpose of this study is to find out the constitutional symptomatic pattern of Soyangin and Taeumin through investigation of difference between two groups in stroke. Method ; 70 inpatients(Soyangin 31, Taeumin 39) in stroke, admitted into Kyung-Hee Oriental Hospital from 1. July. 1999 to 20. Sept. 1999, were investigated through questionnare which consists of 16 parts 155 questions, and the problems which have significant difference between Soyangin and Taeumin group were analyzed statistically. Result 1. The analysis of general characteristic difference between Soyangin and Taeumin group (1) The number of Soyangin patients is 31, Taeumin 39 and the number of Male patients 43, Female 27. (2) The mean weight of Taeumin group is heavier than that of Soyangin group and the degree of obesity of Taeumin group higher. (3) The number of patients who have smoking history is more at Soyangin group. (4) In neurological problem, dizziness is more complained of in Soyangin group. 2. The analysis about the result of Questionnare (1) In problems related with 'Sleeping', the time of going to bed and getting up and the duration of sleeping are more irregular in Taeumin group. (2) In problems related with 'Defecation', the shape of stool is more variable in Taeumin group. (3) In problems related with 'Urination', Soyangin group have more complaint. (4) In problems related with 'The condition of digestion', Taeumin group have a good appetite and more compalint in lower abdominal region, but on the contrary Soyangin group lose appetite and have more complaint in upper abdominal region. (5) In problems related with 'Head and Face', Soyangin group have more complaint. (6) In problems related with 'Eye, Ear and Nose', Soyangin group have more complaint at eye and ear. (7) In promlems related with 'Chest region', Soyangin group easily feel choked up and Taeumin group heart throbs. (8) In problems related with 'Skin', Taeumin group easily feel change of color tone at skin and Soyangin group dry.
A Study on the Psychological characteristics of Sasang Constitution by using BDI and STAI
Seo, Woong ; Kim, Lak-hyung ; Kwon, Bo-hyung ; Song, Jeong-mo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 136~143
1. Purpose of study : In Oriental Traditional medicine, especially in Sasang Constitutional Medicine the mind and the body are not separated. Psychological characteristics are very important as well as physical characteristics in Sasang Constitutional Medicine. This study was performed to investigate the psychological characteristics of Sasang Constitution. 2. Subjects and Methode of Study : Subjects were 63 persons. There were male 54 and female 9 who were healthy. There were Taeumin 35, Soumin 17, and Soyangin 11. We judged Sasang Constitution in QSCC II and the diagnosis by a medical specialist. The degree of depression and anxiety was determined by Beck's Depression Inventory(BDI) and State-Trait Axiety Inventroy(STAI, State Anxiety : S-A, Trait Anxiety : T-A). We studied the psychological characteristics - Depression and Anxiety - in the Sasang Constitution by analyzing BDI and STAI scores. 3. Result of study : 1) The score of STAI(S-A) in Soeumin(少陰人) group was significantly higher than that in Taeumin(太陰人) group. 2) The score of STAI(T-A) in Soeumin(少陰人) group was significantly higher than that in Taeumin(太陰人) group and Soyangin(少陽人) group. 3) The score of BDI in Soeumin(少陰人) group was higher than that in Taeumin(太陰人) group and Soyangin(少陽人) group, but it was not significant statistically. 4. Conclusion of study These result suggest that Soeumin(少陰人) is more anxious than Soyangin(少陽人) and Taeumin(太陰人).
A study on the correlation between Sound Characteristic and Sasang Constitution by Laryngograph, EGG
Kim, Sun-hyung ; Shin, Mi-ran ; Kim, Dal-rae ; Kwon, Ki-rok ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 144~156
Purpose of this study is to help classifying Sasang Constitution through correlation with Larynx waveform. This study was done it under the suppose that Sasang Constitution would be correlation with Larynx waveform. The following result were obtained about correlation between Erectroglottograph waveform and Sasang Constitution by analysis EGG program. 1. Taeumin was lower than Soyangin in Open Std Deviation, Contact Std Deviation of male/a/(0.5sec) 2. Soeyangin was high compared with the others in Pitch range of maie/a/(2.5sec) 3. Taeumin was higher than Soeumin in Pitch range, Soeyangin in pitch Maximum, and the others in Pitch Std Deviation of female/e/(0.5sec) 4. Taeumin was higher than Soeumin in Contact Maximum and lower than Soeumin in Contact Maximum of female/a/(2.5sec) 5. There was no significantly difference in male/e/(0.5sec), male/e/(2.5sce), female/a/(0.5sec), female/e/(2.5sec) 6. The percent of correctly classified in Soeoumin and Taeumin was high in CART Algolism. The risk estimate of Soyangin was relatively high. The study may be use on of the method to make objective diagnosis in Sasang constitution.
A Study on Comparison of responses to the questionnaire based on Sasang institution's differences Questionnaire of Sasang constitution Classification(I)
Park, Eun-kyung ; Park, Seong-sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 157~172
The problem lies in Sasang-constitution-medicine is a subjectiveness of diagnosis that the result of diagnosis varies according to the doctors. In order to supplement to this demerit, multiple approach has done to diagnose objectively. This study has focused on evaluating the effectiveness and accuracy of the questionnaire which considered as a basic data to indentify constitution. By analysing the tendency of the respondents who has defined constitution by clinical diagnosis and comparing of their answers, the result of their constitution analysis by our questionnaire were re-examed. The answer of each question to each constitution were tested how it is relevent to a scale of a constitution. As a result, we have found that there is limitation to find out constitution by the questionnaire we used, one we hope that suitable questionnaire will be developed for the research in the future.
The Study for clinical application of The New Sasang Constitution Questionnaire
Kim, Tae-gyun ; Kim, Jong-weon ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 173~185
1. The purpose of study The purpose of study is The New Sasang Constitution Questionnaire to improve clinical right, as the person takes off uncomfortable to must use both Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification II (QSCC) and Questionnaire of Sasang Classification(I) 2. The method of study I made the judgmental equation, increasing ability of judgment to give thinking importance among each subject about a Clinical study of judgment and the method of using, I investigated which Equation is better by a Clinical Study of the judgment. I made Equation, 9 and examine the Accuracy rate of the judgment through patients, student of University formal peoples and peoples taking the drugs 304 member totally. 3. The result of study I made 9 Equation of the judgment. The Equation of the judgment(I-2) is the highest ability of the judgment, the diagnostic accuracy is 60.53% about Soeum, 52.78% about Taeum, 48.39 about Soyang.
Effecs of Soyangin Indongdeungjikolpitang on the Complication of Diabetes
Seo, Yong-bae ; Song, Jeong-mo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 186~200
The purpose of this research was to investigate the effects of Indongdeungjikolpitang water extract(IJTE) on the complication of diabetes. IJTE did not affect the level of blood glucose in alloxan- or streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemic mice, but inhibited the motility of gastrointestine. IJTE inhibited the writhing syndrome induced by acetic acid, the permeability of evans blue into peritoneal cavity induced by acetic acid, the paw edema induced by histamine, and the formation of cotton pellet granuloma. IJTE increased the cell viability of thymocytes and splenocytes. IJTE decreased the release of
) and interleukin-2(IL-2), but did not affect the release of interleukin-4(IL-4) from murine thymocytes. IJTE increased the release of IL-4 and decreased the release of tumor necrosis
), but did not affect of
and IL-2 from murine splenocytes. IJTE decreased the release of
from murine peritoneal macrophages. IJTE decreased the production of niric oxide(NO) from murine peritioneal macrophages and increased the phagocytic activity of murine peritoneal macrophages. These results suggest that IJTE has an anti-inflammatory action via the inhibition of
and NO production from immune cells.
Studies on the Regulatory Effect of Cytokine Production in Patients with Cerebral Infarction by Yuldahansotang
Choi, Yei-kwen ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 201~215
1. Background and Purpose According to Sasang constitutional medicine, Yuldahansotang(YHT) is a useful prescription for Teaumin patients with a variety of neurologic disorders. Then, I investigated about certain relationships between the effect of YHT and the changes of immune system, especially cytokine network. 2. Methods We studied 8 Taeumin patients with Cerbral infarction. They were treated with YHT in constitutional clinic of Wonkwang Kwagnju Oriental Hospital. We investigated the changes of cytokine network of them. We also investigated cytokine release by lipopolysaccharide- activated peripheral blood mononuclear cells from healthy Taeumin controls. 3. Results The mean interleukin (IL)-2 plasma levels were slightly lower in the plasma of patients than in normal group, whereas the mean IL-4, IL-6 and IgE levels were significantly higher. But there were no significant differences in
) levels between each group. After administration of YHT for two to four weeks, plasma levels of
and IL-2 derived from T helper (Th) 1 cells were elevated significantly, whereas plasma levels of IL-4 and IL-6 derived from Th2 cells were reduced significantly. Plasma levels of IgE were reduced significantly, too. During the period of YHT administration, other adverse effects are not shown. It is increased significantly to Cytokine release by lipopolysaccharide -activated peripheral blood mononuclear cells from healthy Taeumin controls. And the release of
, IL-2 and IL-6 was progressively decreased in the plasma treated with YHT. It shows regulatory effects of YHT to cytokine production.
Effect of Taeumin Chungsimyoinjatang Extract on Blood Pressure and Regional Cerebral Blood Flow in Rats
Park, Jae-hyung ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 216~227
1. Purpose For many years, Taeumin Chungsimyoinjatang(太陰人 淸心蓮子湯, CS) has been used in Sasang(四象) constitutional medicine as a therapeutic agent for cerebral disease. The effects of CS on the vascular system is not well-known. The purpose of this study is to make it clear the effects of SJ and composing drugs on blood pressure(BP) and regional cerebral blood flow(rCBF). 2. Method We measured BP with Pressure Transducer, rCBF with Laser-Doppler flowmeter. Propranolol and methylene blue were used to determine the mechanisms of CS effects. 3. Results and Conclusion BP was not affected by CS in rats, and rCBF was significantly increased by CS in rats. rCBF was increased by Nelumbinis Semen(蓮于肉), Ophiopogonis Radix(麥門冬), Asparagi Radix(天門冬), Polygalae Radix(遠志), Zizyphi Spinosae Semen(酸棗仁), Longnae Arillus(龍眼肉), Raphani Semen, Chrysanthemi Flos(甘菊) in rats. The increase of rCBF is mediated by adrenergic
- receptor and guanylyl cyclase which is enzyme producing cyclic GMP.
Effect of Soumin Seonghyangjeongkisan Extract on Blood Pressure and Regional Cerebral Blood Flow in Rats
Lee, Ki-ju ; Kim, Kyung-yo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 228~239
1. Purpose : For many years, Soumin Seonghyangjeongkisan(少陰人 星香正氣散, SJ) has been used in Sasang(四象) constitutional medicine as a therapeutic agent for cerebral disease. The effects of SJ on the vascular system is not well-know. The purpose of this study is to make it clear the effects of SJ and composing drugs on blood pressure(BP) and regional cerebral blood flow(rCBF). 2. Method : We measured BP with Pressure Transducer, rCBF with Laser-Doppler flowmeter. Propranolo and methylene blue were used to determine the mechanisms of SJ effects. 3. Results and Conclusion : BP was not affected by SJ in rats, and rCBF was significantly increased by SJ in rats. rCBF was increased by Folium Perillae(蘇葉), Rhizoma Atractylodis(蒼朮), Pericarpium Arecae(大腹皮) and Rhizoma Arisaematic(南星), but decreased by Radix Saussurea(木香) in rats. The increase of rCBF is mediated by adrenergic
and guanylyl cyclase which is enzyme producing cyclic GMP.
A Clinical Study of Soeumin Doksamkwankaeijungtang
Huh, Manhn-hoi ; Song, Il-byung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 240~259
1. Background and Purpose I intented to be helpful to understand the consitutional symptoms of soar throat and the application of the prescription through a clinical study of Soeumin Doksamkwankaeijungtang. 2. Methods I studied 16 patients(1 man and 15 women) treated by Doksamkwankaeijungtang in Chewon Oriental Clinic. And then I investigated the characteristics of patients treated by Doksamkwankaeijungtang, remedial values and side effects. 3. Results Doksamkwankaeijungtang was used in the age groups between twenties and sixties. There were 28 kinds of chief complaints including soar throat, tonsilitis, allergic rheum, bitter taste, dry throat, dry cough, stomatitis, lower abdominal pains, climacteric syndrome, etc. The distributions of remedial values were completely recovered (56.25%), much improved (18.75%), slightly improved(6.25%), no improved(12.5%), aggravated(6.25%), side effects(18.75%). There was one aggravated patient. Using the prescription, I prescribed it without any changing and addition according to the symptoms of soar throat. The remedial value of Doksamkwankaeijungtang was effective and not influenced by the dosage of Ginseng. The onset of action was very quick by the changes of dosage without the relation of age. Side effects were upward tendency of blood presser, headache, chest pain, etc. 4. Conclusion Doksamkwankaeijungtang was specifically effective in soar throat of Soeumin.
A clinical study of the treatment prescribed Mahwangbalpyotang for the Taeumin's Baechupyobyung symptom accompanying chill and fever
Park, Eun-kyung ; Park, Seong-sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 260~264
URI(Upper respiratory infection) is caused by virus, lose of balance from change of weather and ahylaxis, etc. So it dose not affect seriously, but in some cases it can cause complication disease depend on the healthfulness of an individual. The case is about a patient who is 21 years old lady, suffered by chill, fever, coughing after experiencing unhealthiness by an excess fatigue. The patient was treated by Mahwangbalpyotang and showed an improvement. This paper describe the process and contents about the way patient was cured.
Case about cardiogenic general edema of Soeumin apoplexy patient
Shin, Mi-ran ; Kim, Sun-hyung ; Kim, Dal-rae ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 12, issue 1, 2000, Pages 265~270
Occasionally, apoplexy is caused by functional or physiologic cardiopulmonary abnormality. In addition, theses may become the factor of aggravating apoplexy and involve complication. If patient has cardiopulmonary disease, progressing of apoplexy is commonly used to be accelerate and prognosis is deteriorative. There by the patient who has cardiopulmonary disease, should be particularly treated for cardiopulmonary disease. We got good result, during treat Soeumin cerebral vascular infarction patient who has pulmonary edema leaded from congestive heart failure, with Sasang Constitutional treatment. Therefore I reported them here. She was 68 years old, female patient. She visited our hospital for apoplexy with right side hemiparesis, dysphagia, dysphasia. After her admission into our hospital, we knew that she has congestive heart failure. The diagnosis is established. She presented with severe general edema and pulmonary edema. Although Soeumin edema usually classified as Taiyin Disease, we classified this as Shaoyin Disease, through diet, discharge, sleep, tongue and symptoms. We has prescribed Gungguichongsoyijung-tang(芎歸蔥蘇理中湯) in accordance with the principle of invigorating the Spleen and lower Yin(建碑而降陰). And her symptoms has improved.