Go to the main menu
Skip to content
Go to bottom
REFERENCE LINKING PLATFORM OF KOREA S&T JOURNALS
> Journal Vol & Issue
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Journal Basic Information
Journal DOI :
The Society Of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Editor in Chief :
Volume & Issues
Volume 21, Issue 3 - Dec 2009
Volume 21, Issue 2 - Aug 2009
Volume 21, Issue 1 - Apr 2009
Selecting the target year
The Study on the Pathology of Soyangin in Sasang Constitutional Medicine (SCM)
Hwang, Min-Woo ; Koh, Byungh-Hee ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 1~16
1. Objectives: This research was proposed to find out the pathology of Soyangin in Sasang Constitutional Medicine(SCM). 2. Methods: The related contents of the pathology of Soyangin were selected in Je-Ma Lee's literatures such as "Dongmu-YuGo(東武遺稿)"(DYG), "Donguisusebowon-SaSangchobongyun(東醫壽世保元四象草本卷)"(DSS), "Donguisusebowon-GabObon(東醫壽世保元甲午本)"(DGO), "Donguisusebowon-ShinChukbon(東醫壽世保元辛丑本)"(DSC), and the research was written in order to find out the physiology and pathology of Soyangin in SCM. 3. Results and Conclusions: The chronical change of pathologic concept in Soyangin diseases as follows : Pathology in Soyangin diseases was much Hot Qi(熱氣), and more ascending Qi, less descending Qi in DYG, DSS. In "Discourse on the viscera and bowels" of DGO and DSC, Soyangin has a circulation of Water-Food Hot Qi of Spleen Group(脾黨) and Water-Food Cold Qi of Kidney Group(腎黨). Exterior Disease(表病) was the injury of Exterior-Qi such as mouth-hip Qi(口膀胱氣) by Anger-Nature-Qi(怒性氣), and Interior Disease(裏病) was the injury of Interior-Qi such as kidney-large intestine Qi(腎大腸氣) by Sorrow-Emotion-Qi(哀情氣). All diseases of Soyangin are caused by insufficient Cool Yin Qi(陰淸之氣) in Kidney Group(腎黨), so the pathology of Soyangin was focused on Requisite energy(保命之主) and each small viscera and bowels(偏小之臟). In this viewpoint, the schema of Soyangin diseases such as Soyangsangpoong-syndrome(少陽傷風證), Kyulhyung-syndrome(結胸證), Mangeum-syndrome(亡陰證), Hyungkyukyeol-syndrome(胸膈熱證), Sogal-syndrome(消渴證) and Eumhuoyeol-syndrome(陰虛午熱證) were designed to explain the mechanism of each syndrome.
A Study on Indication and Application of Radix Euphorbiae Kansui
Ban, Duk-Jin ; Hong, Sol-Yi ; Park, Seong-Sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 17~29
1. Objectives: We study on indications and directions of Euphorbiae Kansui Liou ex Wang in Sasang Constitutional Medicine by applications of Euphorbiae Kansui Liou ex Wang. 2. Methods: We analyzed indications and directions by bibliographical applications of Radix Euphorbiae Kansui Liou ex Wang in Traditional Oriental Medicine and Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 3. Results and Conclusions: 1) Euphorbiae Kansui Liou ex Wang is used for various indications which are congested fluids, accumulation, edema, and etc in Traditional Oriental Medicine and Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2) In Sasang Constitutional Medicine, Euphorbiae Kansui Liou ex Wang is taken by powder in a single-medicine prescriptions and taken with calomelas by powder and tablet in prescriptions, and we have need of clinical study of Radix Euphorbiae Kansui in the future.
Understanding Meat from the Perspective of Sasang Constitutional Medicine - The theory of Four-constitution food with pork and chicken
Lee, Woon-Kyu ; Kim, Jong-Dug ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 30~38
1. Objectives: According to Sasang Constitutional Medicine, human beings are classified into four constitutions. Furthermore, medication and food should be taken differently based on the constitution because Sasang Constitutional Medicine is a field where all living things are perceived from a relative viewpoint instead of a standardized one. If so, what about the animals and its meat? This paper aims to identify the characteristics of the mics consumed, sonsially targeting pork and chicken as they are some of the most frequently enjoyed ones with the perception of the animals by the Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2. Methods: We examine the differences between pigs and chickens through the behavior and nature of them such as morphology, sound, body temperature, taste etc and support the observed differences with medical application. 3. Results: From the Sasang Constitutional Medicine's perceptive, pig is considered as Soeumche while chicken is belongs to Soyangche. Thus, pork is recommended for the SY type while chicken is preferable for the SE type. 4. Conclusions: In this paper, we are trying to suggest several categories for the evaluation of the constitution in animal, especially for pig and chicken. We hope that this is one of the framework for the understanding the animal with Sasang Constitutional Medicine's viewpoint. And also, it may useful to apply the basis what we have outlined in this paper for improving the method of raising livestock as well as the research of laboratory animals.
Four Constitution Types Classifier with IndecisionUsing Facial Images
Do, Jun-Hyeong ; Kim, Sung-Hun ; Koo, Im-Hoi ; Kim, Keun-Ho ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 39~47
1. Objectives: In order to classify an individual into four constitution type, an oriental medical doctor utilizes various information such as face, pulse, voice, and questionnaire. When only one type of information is used, one's constitution may not be decided correctly. 2. Methods: In this paper, we propose a novel four constitution types classifier using facial images which classifies subjects into indecision group as well as Taeumin, Soeumin, and Soyangin. 3. Results: Experimental results show that it increases the classification rate though the decision rate is rather decreased, which is more effective and reliable than conventional classifiers without indecision. 4. Conclusion: For the effective classification, we have found that it is more useful to add an indecision group which requires more information to be properly classified into one constitution type.
A Study on the Physical and Psychological Characteristics in Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Seo, Eun-Hee ; Choi, Ae-Ryun ; Ha, Jin-Ho ; Chae, Han ; Kim, Pan-Joon ; Goo, Deok-Mo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 48~62
1. Objectives: The purpose of this study was to analyze the physical and psychological characteristics of each Sasang type groups which were classified by Sasang medicine specialist. 2. Methods: The subjects were 115 (85.2% of male) university students with
yrs. of age and
yrs. of education. We can get 30 of Soyang type, 39 of Taeeum type, 46 of Soeum type after the Sasang type classification. Their physical characteristics were measured with Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (Inbody 720, Biospace, Seoul), and psychological characteristics with Temperament and Character Inventory (Maumsarang, Seoul). The general linear model (SPSS 12.0, SPSS Inc, Chicago) were used for the analysis with gender and age as covariance. 3. Results and Conclusions: Taeeum type group (
) showed significantly bigger weight, intra-cellular water, extra-cellular water, protein, mineral, body fat mass than Soeum type group (
). In obesity degree such as Body Mass Index and Waist-hip ratio, and circumference measures in chest, waist and hip, we found significant differences in the order of Taeeum>Soyang>Soeum. As a psychological perspectives Soyang type group (
) has higher NS (Novelty-Seeking) score than Soeum type group (
) with marginal significance (p=0.052). In sub-scale measurements Soeum type group (
) has significantly lower value than other two groups in P3 (Ambition). The results of present study showed that Taeeum type by specialist has same physical characteristics as previously reported QSCC II based studies. Temperament profile of each Sasang type group will serve as an important evidence for further study showing that the Sasang typology has biological basis.
A Study on The Sasang Constitutional Interrelationship of Equilibrium Function According to Drinking and Smoking
Lee, Han-Eol ; Lee, Joo-Yong ; Han, Kyung-Su ; Lee, Hyun ; Ahn, Taek-Won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 63~75
1. Objectives: This study was carried out to investigate the Sasang constitutional equilibrium functional difference according to drinking and smoking. 2. Methods: We analyzed the data of 300 adults(194 males, 106 females), who visited Cheonan oriental hospital of D univ. for medical examination, which includes Sasang constitution examination, equilibrium function test, questionnaire. We evaluationed the equilibrium function by measurement of open eyes and close eyes trace length, using the posturography system, according to drinking groups, smoking groups and drinking-smoking groups. 3. Results and Conclusions: The results were as follows : 1) In all subjects, trace length of heavy-drinker was significantly higher than non-drinker, trace length of smoker was significantly higher than non-smoker, trace length of drinker and smoker was significantly higher than non-drinker and non-smoker, trace length of male was significantly higher than female. 2) In Soyangin, trace length of middle-drinker was significantly higher than non-drinker. 3) In Taeumin, trace length of heavy-drinker was significantly higher than non-drinker, trace length of smoker was significantly higher than non-smoker, trace length of drinker and smoker was significantly higher than non-drinker and non-smoker. 4) In Soumin, trace length of drinker and smoker was significantly higher than non-drinker and non-smoker. The above results show that driking and smoking are one of main causes to decrease equilibrium function, specially the case of at once drinking and smoking are a potent influence. Also in Taeumin, comparing to different consitutions, the above results show that it is more obvious that drinking and smoking are influence on decrease of equilibrium function.
Influence of Cold and Heat Characteristics and Health State in Sasang Constitution Diagnosis
Jang, Eun-Su ; Kim, Myung-Gun ; Baek, Young-Wha ; Kim, Yung-Jeong ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 76~88
1. Objectives: We would know what kind of symptom are different according to Cold and Heat characteristics and health state. We also tried to suggest the development of Sasang Constitution diagnosis model considering of them. 2. Methods: We recruited 1,523 subjects between 10 and 80, excluding individuals who have physically or psychologically serious disease or women in pregnancy in the 21 Oriental Medical Clinics. We seperated group according to Cold and Heat characteristics and health state in CRF(Case Report Form, C-2009-002439) questionnaire and we also developed Sasang constitution diagnosis program to compare agreement according to sex and age group with Cold/Heat and health state one. 3. Results: The number of discordance items are much more than that of accordance items in group seperated according to Cold and Heat, and Health state Sasang constitution agreement rate of Cold/Heat and health state group is higher than that of total group through program. When we diagnosed Sasang constitution with different group characteristics to know the group differences, the disparity rate of the group according to Heat/Cold and Health state is lower than that of the group according to sex and age. 4. Conclusions: As Sasang constitution characteristics are different according to Cold/Heat group and Health state classification, we can upgrade Sasang constitution agreement rate with questionnaire considered of Heat/Cold and health state.
Analysis of Sasang Constitutional Deviation of Health Condition according to the Tendency of Perspiration
Kim, Hyo-Jung ; Lee, Hae-Jung ; Jin, Hee-Jeong ; Kim, Myoung-Geun ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 89~106
1. Objectives: The aim of this study was to survey the tendency of perspiration and health condition of Sasang Constitution and to analysis the relationship between health condition and perspiration. 2. Methods: We recruited 1565 subjects in multi-oriental hospitals and researched their perspiration and health condition. Subjects were diagnosed by the Sasang Constitutional specialists in oriental hospitals, and had remarkable improvement in their chief complains after Sasang Constitutional Medication. All subjects answered the questionnaire about the tendency of perspiration including the amount and region of sweating, and the health condition such as meal, appetite, tiredness, health degree, and warm-cold preference. Based on these clinical data, we analyzed the Sasang Constitutional deviation of health condition according to the tendency of perspiration. We found the differences of answering using Chi-square test between-group comparison. We analyzed using SPSS 14.0 for Korean. 3. Results: The amount of sweating was related with degree of health condition such as tiredness, health degree, meal, appetite, and warm-cold preference. However there was no significant differences between Sasang Constitutional groups. 4. Conclusions: According the region of sweating, there was some deviation of health conditions between Sasang Constitution. Especially sweating of head and neck meant good symptom for SE type but not for SY type. And the sweating on the chest and axilla meant bad symptoms for all Sasang Constitutional types.
The Association between Symptom Evaluation Index and Health State according to Sasang Constitution in Women
Jang, Eun-Su ; Yoo, Jong-Hyang ; Baek, Young-Wha ; Kim, Ho-Seok ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ; Lee, Si-Woo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 107~121
1. Objectives: We aimed to know what are different in physiological and pathological symptoms associated with health state according to Sasang Constitution in women 2. Methods: We recruited 338 women between 10 and 80, excluding individuals who have physically or psychologically serious disease, or women in pregnancy among Korean population in Traditional Korea Clinics. We used CRF(Case Report Form, C-2009-002439) as measurement of physiological and pathological symptoms and SF-36 (Short Form-36) as measurement of health state We analyzed association between physiological and pathological symptoms and health state with Two-way ANOVA 3. Results: There are 9 different symptoms associated with health state, such as digestion state, uncomfortable problem in belly, indigestion in bad condition, abnormal sweat, night sweat, clean in urine, no problem in urine, feel heavy in chest according to Sasang constitution. 4. Conclusions: Physiological and pathological symptoms are associated with health state and some symptoms associated with health state are different according to Sasang Constitution in women.
Association Between Metabolic Syndrome and Adiponectin according to Sasang Constitution
Yu, Jun-Sang ; Koh, Sang-Baek ; Park, Jong-Ku ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 122~130
1. Objectives: The objective of this study is to investigate the relationship between adiponectin and metabolic syndrome according to Sasang Constitution. 2. Methods: Six hundred sixty six participants were included in this cohort study. Sex, age, BMI(Body Mass Index), smoking, drinking, adiponectin level and Metabolic syndrome components were considerd. Sasang constitutional diagnosis was carried out by a sasang constitutional specialist using photos, questionnaires and PSSC(Phonetic System for Sasang Classification). 3. Results: In binary logistic analysis after adjustment of age, sex, BMI, smoking, drinking, adiponectin level and sasang constitution were related with Metabolic syndrome. 4. Conclusions: We suggest that adiponectin and sasang constitution are the important biomarker in Metabolic syndorme.
Acute Toxicity Study on Yangkyuksanhwa-tang in Mice
Ma, Jin-Yeul ; Huang, Dae-Sun ; Seo, Chang-Seob ; Lee, Si-Woo ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ; Shin, Hyeun-Kyoo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 131~137
1. Objectives: The aim of this study is data analysis for acute toxicity and safety of Yangkyuksanhwa-tang. 2. Methods: We investigated the acute toxicity for water-extracted Yangkyuksanhwa-tang. 25 male and 25 female mice were observed for 14 days after one day oral administration of Yangkyuksanhwa-tang at the respective doses of 0(control group), 2560, 3200, 4000 and 5000 mg/kg. 3. Results: We observed survival rates, general toxicity, change of body weight and autopsy. 4. Conclusions: The data confirmed that Yangkyuksanhwa-tang is free from the toxicity and safety problems in oral route respectively. Compared with the control group, we could not find any toxic alteration in all treated groups(2560, 3200, 4000 and 5000 mg/kg). In conclusion, LD50 of Yangkyuksanhwa-tang was over 5000 mg/kg and it is very safe to mice.
Protection effect of New-Yeolda-Hanso tang against
-Amyloid Induced Cytotoxicity in NGF-differentiated PC12 Cells
Bae, Na-Young ; Yang, Hyun-Ok ; Ahn, Taek-Won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 138~153
1. Objectives: Yeolda-Hanso tang (YH) has long been used as traditional herbal formula in Korea as various diseases. Now we modified Yeolda-Hanso tang (YH) for neurodegenerative diseases treatment and named New-Yeolda-Hanso tang (NYH). We investigated neuroprotective effects of NYH on NGF-differentiated PC12 cells cytotoxicity induced by
-Amyloid peptide (A
25-35) and evaluated the ability of NYH to prevent and treat for neurodegenerative diseases via autophagy enhancement. 2. Methods and Results: 1) Protective effect of NYH on PC12 cells cytotoxity induced by A
25-35. PC12 cells survival was measured by MTT and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) assay.
-Amyloid peptide (A
25-35) induced cytotoxicity on NGF-differentiated PC12 cells. NYH attenuated the cytotoxic effects of A
25-35 in a dose-dependent manner. 2) Pharmacological induction of Autophagy by NYH in PC12 cells Autophagy induction and activation was measured by immunoblot assay. Marker of autophagy, LC3 II expression and the ratio of LC3-II/I was slightly increased in the protein treated with YH, and significantly augmented in the protein treated with NYH. NYH-induced increase of LC3-II protein level was inhibited by 3MA. 3) Induction of Autophagy by NYH on A
25-35-induced injury in PC12 cells In MTT assay,
re-treated NYH attenuated
25-35-induced cytotoxicity in PC12 cells. Protection effect of NYH was blocked by autophagy inhibitor 3MA. In immunoblot assay,
pre-treated NYH activated autophagy in
25-35-induced cytotoxicity in PC12 cells. The observed effect was partially blocked by 3MA. 3. Conclusions: All the results indicated that NYH possesses neuroprotective potential partially mediated by autophagy enhancement and NYH may be considered to be a promising new herbal formula to prevent and treat for neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer's disease (AD).
Three cases of Soeumin Woolgwang Fever Improved by Doksampalmulkunja-tang(獨蔘八物君子湯)
Lee, Hyun-Mi ; Park, Se-Jung ; Jeon, Soo-Hyung ; Kim, Oh-Young ; Kim, Jong-Won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 154~167
1. Objectives: Fever is an abnormal elevation of body temperature, usually as a result of a pathologic process. Fever can cause chilling, myalgia, headache and other related symptoms. We have tried researching effect of herbal medicine Doksampalmulkunja-tang(獨蔘八物君子湯) on fever. 2. Methods: The subjects are three patients who were on diagnosed Soeumin Woolgwang-incurable disease. They are treated by Doksampalmulkunja-tang(獨蔘八物君子湯). 3. Results: Doksampalmulkunja-tang(獨蔘八物君子湯) was effective on the subjects. Their fever and related symptoms were improved. 4. Conclusions: This case study shows that the treatment with herb-medicine may have effect on fever of Soeumin by rasing the stagnant yang qi.
Case Reports of Combined treatment of Onbaek-won on two Soeumin stroke patients with Cb-inf who have Constipation
Lee, Pil-Jae ; Han, Da-Nim ; Kim, Seong-Ki ; Lim, Eun-Chul ; Kim, Hyeon-Jin ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 168~177
1. Objectives: The purpose of this case is to report the effects of Onbaek-won which is based on Sasang Constitutional Medicine for constipation in Soeumin. 2. Methods: We treated two Soeumin patients with Constipation. We prescribed Onbaek-won for their physical symptoms. The improvement of their diseases were checked from their stool and other physical symptoms. 3. Results: After the Sasang constitutional medication of Onbaek-won were given, constipation and their physical symptoms were improved. 4. Conclusions: This case study show an efficient result of using Onbaek-won in constipation of Soeumin. Onbaek-won was used instead of Semen Tiglii(巴豆).
A Case Report of Soyangin Adult Atopic Dermatitis Patient Treatment with Soyangin Formulae
Han, Su-Jin ; Song, Jeong-Mo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 178~185
1. Objectives: The purpose of this case study is to evaluate the effects of Sasang constitutional therapy and treatment of an adult atopic dermatitis patient, who was diagnosed Soyangin, Interior febrile disease induced from the stomach affected by heat(少陽人 胃受熱裏熱病). 2. Methods: The adult Atopic Dermatitis patient was diagnosed Soyangin, Interior febrile disease induced from the stomach affected by heat(少陽人 胃受熱裏熱病) which was based on his Nature & Emotion(性情), physical characteristics, symptoms. He was medicated with Prescriptions of Soyangin. 3. Results and Conclusions: The clinical evaluation was made by SCORAD index, Total eosinophil count and Total IgE. After treatment, his SCORAD results significantly decreased from 88.4 to 21.9, Total eosinophil count decreased from 1320 to 120 and Total IgE also decreased from 1406.6 to 897.3. And the patient's subjective symptom and gerneral condition considerably improved after treatment. This case study describe the effectiveness on adult Atopic Aermatitis symptom by using Prescriptions of Soyangin.
A Case Study about Soyangin Patient Suffering from Vertigo afterSubarachnoid Hemorrhage
Lee, Seung-Yun ; Ban, Duk-Jin ; Bae, Hyo-Sang ; Park, Seong-Sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 186~192
1. Objective: This study is about a Soyangin patient with vertigo after subarachnoid hemorrhage. In this study, we report the effects of Sasang constitutional treatment to this patient. 2. Methods: This patient was treated by Soyangin's constitutional medications and acupunture according to the result of Sasang constitutional diagnosis. 3. Results and Conclusions: This patient's chief complaints were vertigo and gait disturbance. By using Yangkyuksanhwa-tang mainly, she showed positive response about her symptom. This study shows that Yangkyuksanhwa-tang has effect to vertigo in Soyangin.
Two Cases of Soyangin Dermatitis Patients Treated with Yangkyuksanhwa-tang
Bae, Jeong-Gyu ; Lee, Han-Eol ; Ahn, Taek-Won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 193~201
1. Objectives: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the effects of Yangkyuksanhwa-tang which is based on sasang constitutional medicine for dermatitis as psoriasis, atopic dermatitis. 2. Methods: This two patients were treated by Soyangin's constitutional medications according to the result of sasang constitutional diagnosis. We evaluated the severity in dermatitis that two methods ; doctor's view and patient's subjective itching. 3. Results & Conclusoins: This cases study shows an efficent result of using Yangkyuksanhwa-tang in treatment of dermatitis as psoriasis, atopic dermatitis.
A Case of Taeeum-ia Hangwol Symptomatology Patient who Showed Improvement with the Handayeolso-tang
Kim, Oh-Young ; Cho, Jae-Seung ; Lee, Ryun-Mi ; Park, Se-Jung ; Park, Hye-Sun ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 202~208
1. Objectives: The purpose of this study is to report one case of the Taeumin Hangwol Syndrome diagnosed as Upper Respiratory Infection with unknown cause. 2. Methods: The patient had the symptoms including chilling sensation, general weakness and fatigue. We diagnosed him as Taeeumin Hangwol Syndrome. So we treated him by Handayeolso-tang(寒多熱少湯), and acupuncture. The serial changes of his symptoms were evaluated in hospital. 3. Results and Conclusions: After treated by Handayeolso-tang(寒多熱少湯), his symptoms were improved.
A Clinical Case of Liver Injury with Administration of Yeoldahanso-tang plus Rheum rhabarbarum
Kwon, Eun-Mi ; Jung, Yee-Hong ; Kim, Eun-Hee ; Seo, Young-Kwang ; Lee, Soo-Kyung ; Kim, Dal-Rae ; Kim, Sun-Hyung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 209~215
1. Objects: This case study reports a liver injury in treatment of constipation with Yeoldahanso-tang plus Rheum rhabarbarum. 2. Methods: The patient's subjective symptoms and the laboratory data including aspartate transaminase(AST), alanine transaminase(ALT), alkaline phosphatase(ALP), and gamma(
)-glutamyl transpeptidase(GGT) were observed before and after liver injury. We used the Roussel Uclaf Causality Assessment Method(RUCAM) scale in order to find out whether if Yeoldahanso-tang plus Rheum rhabarbarum was related with the liver injury. 3. Results: The patient's AST and ALT were elevated more than twice after a 3week administration period of herbal medicine. After discontinuation of the herbal medicine and administration of hepatic protective medication, AST and ALT decreased. The patient's general condition improved during hospitalization. The RUCAM score was estimated at 8. 4. Conclusions: This case is presented to bring more attention to the toxicity of herbal medicine.
A Tae-Eumin Exterior-Cold-Disease by the Cold in the Esophagus's Case Study of Diagnosed as Acute Hepatitis A
Choi, Eun-Joo ; Song, Hak-Soo ; Yoon, Woo-Young ; Yoo, Jun-Sang ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 21, issue 3, 2009, Pages 216~222
1. Objectives: This case study described a process of the patient diagnosed as acute hepatitis A treated by medication based on the Sasang Constitutional Medicine and acupuctural theraphy and obtained improved effects about several symptoms. 2. Methods: We diagnosed the male patient with acute hepatitis A as Tae-Eumin Exterior-Cold-Disease by the Cold in the Esophagus, and administered Mahwangbalpyo-tang and Handayeolso-tang according to clinical progress. And we evaluated the results by liver function test(LFT; AST, ALT,
-GTP ), total bilirubin level and the visual analog scale(VAS) of symptoms. 3. Results and Conclusion: Almost symptoms (except for jaundice) at the time of admission were disappeared, and also jaundice (estimated by color of scleras and color of urine) was alleviated. Also level of AST, ALT,
-GTP and total bilirubin decreased in laboratory test. We obtained positive effects to the therapy but we considered necessities of further comparative studies with control group.