Go to the main menu
Skip to content
Go to bottom
REFERENCE LINKING PLATFORM OF KOREA S&T JOURNALS
> Journal Vol & Issue
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Journal Basic Information
Journal DOI :
The Society Of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Editor in Chief :
Volume & Issues
Volume 22, Issue 4 - Dec 2010
Volume 22, Issue 3 - Sep 2010
Volume 22, Issue 2 - Jun 2010
Volume 22, Issue 1 - Mar 2010
Selecting the target year
A Literature study on the Sasang Constitutional Tongue Diagnosis based on Experience Prescriptions(經驗方) in the Donguisusebowon (Longevity and Life Preservation in Oriental Medicine)
Lee, Jae-Chul ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ; Ryu, Hyun-Hee ; Kim, Keun-Ho ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 1~8
1. Objectives: This study was performed to research the relationship between Sasang Constitution and characteristics of tongue diagnosis based on Donguisusebowon's Experience prescriptions(經驗方). 2. Methods: We searched tongue diagnosis factors in Donguisusebowon and classified this. Based on Donguisusebowon's Experience prescriptions(經驗方), we find tongue diagnosis factors in 6 contemporary Oriental medicine prescription books. 3. Results: Most So-eumin has white thin tongue coating and clear redish tongue color. Yellow tongue coatings are found in symptoms for Yinjinho-tang(Yinchenhao-tang), Soseungki-tang(Xiaochengqi-tang), Daeseungki-tang(Dachengqi-tang). Shortened Tongue is found in So-eumin's experience prescription and So-yangin's treat histroy. It didn't shown that So-eumin's Semen Crotonis included 6 prescritions' factors of tongue diagnosis. So-yangin's white tongue coating is found in Hyungbangpaedok-san(Jingfangbaidu-san), Sipjo-tang(Shizao-tang), Sosiho-tang(Xiaocihu-tang), Shinki-hwan(Shenqi-wan). Most of other So-yangin's tongue coatings are Yellowish and tongue color is deep red. Tae-eumin have thin white tongue coating at the Mahuang-tang(Mahuang-tang). Red tongue color and drying tongue are found at Jowiseungki-tang(Tiaoweichengqi-tang)Daesiho-tang(Dacihu-tang)Saengmaek-san(Shengmai-san) 4. Conclusions: Following So-eumin's Experience prescriptions, So-eumin's tongue color is clear red and tongue coatings are thin white and greasy. Following So-yangin's Experience prescriptions, So-yangin's tongue color is deep red and tongue coatings are yellowish and scarce except Exterior cold disease. And So-yangin has specific symptom of irritability, oral sores. Tae-eumin's tongue has two sides of white thin tongue coatings and Red and drying tongue.
A Study on The Origin and Background of GalgeunNabokja-Tang
Jeung, Yong-Jae ; Park, Seong-Sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 9~16
1. Background: GalgeunNabokja-Tang(葛根蘿葍子湯) is suggested as treatment and prescription of Exterior Heat syndrome Diarrhea(表熱證泄瀉) in Donguisusebowon Tae-eumin Interior febrile disease induced form the liver affected by heat("東醫壽世保元" "太陰人肝受熱裏熱病論"), but is not recorded the treatment contents in Sinjungbang("新定太陰人病應用要藥二十四方"). 2. Methods: Accordingly, the writer surveyed, compared, and arranged the relevant contents by collecting books of doctors of Four-Constitutional Medicine(四象醫) since Lee Je-ma including Lee Je-ma's books. 3. Results: and Conclusions: 1) The treatment contents in GalgeunNabokja-Tang are thought to be valid to have the criterion as the contents of appearing in SanggyohyuntoDonguisusebowon Boyubang("詳校懸吐東醫壽世保元" "補遺方"). 2) The origin in GalgeunNabokja-Tang is GalgeunNabokja-Tang in Bimang-lok("備忘錄"). And the period of having made treatment for the first time may be estimated to be the one between Donguisuse- bowonSasangchobonguan("東醫壽世保元四象草本卷") and HamsansachonDonguisusebowonGabogubon ("咸山沙村東醫壽世保元甲午舊本"). 3) GalgeunNabokja-Tang is thought to be probably what Han Du-jeong recorded in Boyubang by searching for what Lee Je-ma modified some of GalgeunNabokja-Tang in Bimang-lok while writing Pathological Syndromes("病證論") in Donguisusebowon("東醫壽世保元").
Voice Classification Algorithm for Sasang Constitution Using Support Vector Machine
Kang, Jae-Hwan ; Do, Jun-Hyeong ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 17~25
1. Objectives: Voice diagnosis has been used to classify individuals into the Sasang constitution in SCM(Sasang Constitution Medicine) and to recognize his/her health condition in TKM(Traditional Korean Medicine). In this paper, we purposed a new speech classification algorithm for Sasang constitution. 2. Methods: This algorithm is based on the SVM(Support Vector Machine) technique, which is a classification method to classify two distinct groups by finding voluntary nonlinear boundary in vector space. It showed high performance in classification with a few numbers of trained data set. We designed for this algorithm using 3 SVM classifiers to classify into 4 groups, which are composed of 3 constitutional groups and additional indecision group. 3. Results: For the optimal performance, we found that 32.2% of the voice data were classified into three constitutional groups and 79.8% out of them were grouped correctly. 4. Conclusions: This new classification method including indecision group appears efficient compared to the standard classification algorithm which classifies only into 3 constitutional groups. We find that more thorough investigation on the voice features is required to improve the classification efficiency into Sasang constitution.
The Item Analysis of Short Form Sasang Classification Questionnaire for American according to Comparison of Responses between Different Ethnic Groups: Pilot test
Yoo, Jung-Hee ; Shin, Hyun-Sang ; Lee, Jun-Hee ; Kho, Byung-Hee ; Lee, Eui-Ju ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 26~33
1. Objectives: This study has focused on response rates for ethnic groups of American by Short Form Sasang Classification Questionnaire for American (SF SSCQ-A). 2. Methods: By analysing the tendency of the respondents who have been defined ethnic groups and comparing of their answers, the result of their ethnic groups analysis by our questionnaire were examined. Each item response rate on SF_SSCQ-A was analysed between Caucasian and Non-Caucasian respectively. 3. Results and Conclusions: There were the significantly different 11 items between Caucasian and Non-Caucasian. And there were the poor response 26 items; the excessively affirmative 1 item, the excessively negative 18 items, no response 7 items.
A Clinical Study on the Association between Sasangin and Serum Leptin Level
Lee, Si-Woo ; Kim, Sul-Gi ; Baek, Yeong-Hwa ; Yoo, Jong-Hyang ; Kim, Yun-Jeong ; Lee, Su-Kyung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 34~40
1. Objectives: Leptin is ob-gene originated hormone that is concerned with energy metabolism, obesity and asthma which features are supposed to related with Sasangin's 4 viscera physiological theory of Sasang constitutional medicine(SCM). This study aims to investigate whether serum leptin concentration is associated with Sasangin. 2. Methods: Two Way ANOVA analysis was used on the constitution and serum leptin concentration corresponding with BMI among 1054 cases drawn from the Constitutional Information Bank, which was a database with clinically confirmed constitution cases collected from 21 oriental medical institutes in Korea starting from November 2007 to May 2009. The measurement of serum leptin concentration is implemented through radioimmunoassay by request to SCL. 3. Results: Male subjects showed notable difference(p=0.033) in the comparison between constitution and serum leptin concentration corresponding to BMI levels. Tae-eumins showed the highest serum leptin concentration levels in the normal and overweight groups, followed by Soyangin and Soeumin. As the groups changed from overweight to obese, there was an interaction phenomenon in the order of serum leptin concentration levels(p=0.040). As a result, Soeumins showed the highest serum leptin concentration levels and Tae-eumins and Soyangins followed in place. Female subjects did not show statistically notable differences in comparison between constitution and serum leptin concentration corresponding to BMI levels(p=0.239). Serum leptin concentration levels among overweight and obese groups, resulted in the order of Soeumins, Tae-eumins, and Soyangins. But in the as groups changed from overweight to normal the order resulted in Tae-eumin, Soyangin, and Soeumin(p=0.660). 4. Conclusion: Due to a number of limitations in this study, the examination of the relation between constitution and leptin, a main hormone responsible for the digestion, appetite, and energy metabolism, resulted to be uncertain. But statistically notable differences were confirmed in male Tae-eumins with the consideration of BMI. Further examination of the relation between constitution and leptin is necessary through prospective studies with the restriction of confusion variables in the future.
A Pilot Study on Evoked Potentials by Visual Stimulation of Facial Emotion in Different Sasang Constitution Types
Hwang, Dong-Uk ; Kim, Keun-Ho ; Lee, Yu-Jung ; Lee, Jae-Chul ; Kim, Myoyung-Geun ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 41~48
1. Objective There has been a few trials to diagnose Sasang Constitution by using EEG, but has not been studied intensively. For the purpose of practical diagnosis, the characteristics of EEG for each constitution should be studied first. Recently it has been shown that Sasang Constitution might be related to harm avoidance and novelty seeking in temperament and character profiles. Based on this finding, we propose a visual stimulation method to evoke a EEG response which may discriminate difference between constitutional groups. Through the experiment with this method, we tried to reveal the characteristics of EEG of each constitutional groups by the method of event-related potentials. 2. Methods: We used facial visual stimulation to verify the characteristics of EEG for each constitutional groups. To reveal characteristic in sensitivity and latency of response, we added several levels of noise to facial images. 6 male subjects(2 Taeeumin, 2 Soyangin, 2 Soeumin) participated in this study. All subjects are healthy 20's. To remove artifacts and slow modulation, we removed EOG contaminated data and renormalization is applied. To extract stimulation related components, normalized event-related potential method was used. 3. Results: From Oz channels, it is verified that facial image processing components are extracted. For lower level noise, components related to the visual stimulation were clearly shown in Oz, Pz, and Cz channels. Pz and Cz channels show differences among 3 constitutional groups in maximum around 200 msec. Especially moderate level of noise looks appropriate for diagnosis. 4. Conclusion: We verified that the visual stimulation with facial emotion might be a good candidate to evoke the differences between constitutional groups in EEG response. The differences shown in the experiment may imply that the process of emotion has distinct tendencies in latencies and sensitivity for each consitutional group. And this distinction might be related to the temperament profile of consitutional groups.
Anti-Oxidative Effect of Soyangin Hyeongbangpaedok-san Decoction in Kidney and Spleen Cells of Aged Rats
Min, Gyeong-Hoon ; Ahn, Taek-Won ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 49~58
1. Objectives: The purpose of this study is to find out the Anti-Oxidative effects of Soyangin Hyeongbangpaedok-san(HBP) in kidney and spleen cells of aged rats. 2. Methods: Aged rats used in this experiment were 6, 52, 68 weeks old. Each age group was divided into three groups again. One group was given no treatment, another group was dosed normal saline and the other group was dosed HBP decoction. The antioxidant effects of HBP decoction were measured by the levels of SOD, GSH, MDA and NO. 3. Results: and Conclusions: 1) The activity of SOD was significantly increased in kidney cells of 68w-HBP group. Deterioration of the activity of SOD in kidney cells was significantly suppressed according to increasing in age of the week. 2) The level of NO was significantly decreased in kidney cells of 68w-HBP group. Deterioration of The level of NO in kidney cells was significantly suppressed according to increasing in age of the week. 3) The activity of SOD was increased in spleen cells of 52w and 68w-HBP group. 4) The level of GSH was significantly increased in spleen cells of 68w-HBP group.
Acute Toxicity Study on Cheongsimyeonja-tang in Mice
Ma, Jin-Yeul ; Huang, Dae-Sun ; Seo, Chang-Seob ; Lee, Si-Woo ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ; Shin, Hyeun-Kyoo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 22, issue 1, 2010, Pages 59~65
1. Objectives: The aim of this study is data analysis for acute toxicity and safety of Cheongsimyeonja-tang. 2. Methods: We investigated the acute toxicity for water-extracted Cheongsimyeonja-tang. Fifty five male and female mice were observed for 14 days after one day oral administration of Cheongsimyeonja-tang at the respective doses of 0 (control group), 2560, 3200, 4000 and 5000 mg/kg. 3. Results: We observed survival rates, general toxicity, change of body weight and autopsy. In animals administered with Cheongsimyeonja-tang, there were nither dead animals nor significant changes of body weights. In addition, no differences were found between control and treated groups in clinical sign and autopsy. 4. Conclusion: The data confirmed that Cheongsimyeonja-tang is free from the toxicity and safety problems in treated groups. Compared with the control group, we could not find any toxic alteration in all treated groups(2560, 3200, 4000 and 5000 mg/kg). Lethal Dose 50 (LD50) value for mice was more than 5000 mg/kg per oral for both male and females. It suggest that Cheongsimyeonja-tang in mice is considered to be safe.