Go to the main menu
Skip to content
Go to bottom
REFERENCE LINKING PLATFORM OF KOREA S&T JOURNALS
> Journal Vol & Issue
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Journal Basic Information
Journal DOI :
The Society Of Sasang Constitutional Medicine
Editor in Chief :
Volume & Issues
Volume 23, Issue 4 - Dec 2011
Volume 23, Issue 3 - Sep 2011
Volume 23, Issue 2 - Jun 2011
Volume 23, Issue 1 - Mar 2011
Selecting the target year
The Research on the Classification of Soeumin Symptomatology and the Standardized Symptom
Song, Eun-Young ; Park, Byung-Joo ; Song, An-Na ; Lee, Eui-Ju ; Koh, Byung-Hee ; Lee, Jun-Hee ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 429~444
1. Objective This study is aimed to present the effective classification of Soeumin symptomatology and the standardized signs for classification which can be applied for KCD, ICD and the insurance codification system. 2. Methods 1) Differentiate Soeumin symptomatology based on exterior-interior patterns, favorable-unfavorable patterns, and mild-severe-dangerous-urgent patterns. 2) Investigate the standard signs and symptoms to claasify Soeumin symptomatology based on exterior-interior patterns, favorable-unfavorable patterns, and mild-severe-dangerous-urgent patterns. 3. Results and Conclusions 1) The diagnosis criteria for Soeumin exterior-interior disease is based upon signs & symptoms of cold/heat, condition of stool, state of digestive system(such as digestion and appetite)among others. 2) The diagnosis criteria for Soeumin favorable-unfavorable disease is generally based upon whether the vital force of the spleen is damaged or not. More specifically, for the exterior disease, whether or not sweating is present. For the interior disease, whether or not dry mouth, body ache(a main symptom of the exterior state), and anxiousness are present. 3) For the Soeumin Wool-gwang disease, the diagnosis criteria of mild-severe disease is whether or not chills is present and the degree of body fever. 4) For Soeumin Mang-yang disease, the diagnosis criteria of dangerous-urgent disease is whether or not chills is, the degree of sweating and urine condition. 5) For the Soeumin Greater-Yin disease, Abdominal-pain bowel irritability pattern and Epigastric discomfort pattern are early state signs, Jaundice pattern is mild-state sign, edema & Greater-Yang disease Yin-toxin pattern are terminal state signs. 6) For the Soeumin interior disease, Abdominal-pain bowel irritability pattern and Epigastric discomfort pattern are of the dangerous state pattern, Jang-gual and Exuberant-Yin-repelling-Yang pattern are of the urgent state patterns.
A Study on How the Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases in "Donguisusebowon" Influenced the Formation of the Theory of Eight Constitution
Jeung, Yong-Jae ; Park, Seong-Sik ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 445~457
1. Purpose Lee Je-Ma had continued to revise "Donguisusebowon" by adding the contents of the Symptomatic-pharmacology(病證藥理論) on Soeumin, Soyangin and Taeeumin to it from the first establishment of the old version in 1894 to 1900.(new version). This paper tries to find out the contents and meaning of the Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases(病證論) between the old version and new version and what the Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases affected the Theory of Eight Constitution created in subsequent years. 2. Methods I classified the Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases in "DongYiSuseBowon" into old version and new version and tried to find out the Theory of Eight morbidities(8病證論) which is the predecessor of the Theory of Eight Constitution, before reviewing their relation. 3. Conclusions 1) The Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases in the old version specify that the externally sensed diseases are caused by the deep sediment of nature(性) and that the internally touched diseases are caused by the violent activities of emotion(情). In addition, it said that all diseases are caused by the specific characteristics of patient's smaller internal organs(偏小之臟). But in new version, the diseases were understood through the concept Exterior, Interior, Heat and cold(表裏寒熱). The new version said that the diseases may be caused not only the specific characteristics of patient's smaller organs but also by bigger organs(偏大之臟). 2) The Theory of Eight Constitution was derived from the Theory of Eight morbidities, in which all kinds of human diseases are caused by 8 disease-orgin organ and that the diseases therefore can be classified into 8 morbidities. The Theory of Eight morbidities reorganized the Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases in "DongYiSuseBowon" by classifying them into first morbidity and second morbidity. 3) The Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases in "DongYiSuseBowon" has decisively affected the creation of the Theory of Eight morbidities which is the predecessor of the Theory of Eight Constitution. The Theory of Eight morbidities may be deemed another interpretation of the Discourse on the Constitutional Symptoms and Diseases in "DongYiSuseBowon". As the Theory of Eight morbidities put emphasis on the genetic characteristics, the Theory of Eight Constitution stating that Eight morbidities are caused by different specific constitution was derived.
Application of Vocal Properties and Vocal Independent Features to Classifying Sasang Constitution
Kim, Keun-Ho ; Kang, Nam-Sik ; Ku, Bon-Cho ; Kim, Jong-Yeol ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 458~470
1. Objectives Vocal characteristics are commonly considered as an important factor in determining the Sasang constitution and the health condition. We have tried to find out the classification procedure to distinguish the constitution objectively and quantitatively by analyzing the characteristics of subject's voice without noise and error. 2. Methods In this study, we extract the vocal features from voice selected with prior information, remove outliers, minimize the correlated features, correct the features with normalization according to gender and age, and make the discriminant functions that are adaptive to gender and age from the features for improving diagnostic accuracy. 3. Results and Conclusions Finally, the discriminant functions produced about 45% accuracy to classify the constitution for every age interval and every gender, and the diagnostic accuracy was meaningful as the result from only the voice.
Impact of the Sasang Constitutional Type on the High-Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein, a Predictor of Cardiovascular Disease
Kang, Mi-Jeong ; Lee, Ji-Won ; Lee, Eui-Ju ; Koh, Byung-Hee ; Lee, Jun-Hee ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 471~486
1. Objectives The purpose of this study was to investigate the high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP) related characteristics found in each Sasang Constitutional type. 2. Methods This cross-sectional epidemiological study was conducted using data from 2,842 men and women. After typing each participant into one of the four Sasang constitutional types, they were analyzed on various cardiovascular disease-related variables. 3. Results 1) The predictors of cardiovascular disease (metabolic syndrome, high risk FRS group, high risk hsCRP group) was found to show the highest prevalence in the Taeeum type. 2) In the group with metabolic syndrome, the mean hsCRP concentration in the Taeeum and Soyang types were higher than in the Soeum type. In the group without metabolic syndrome, the mean hsCRP concentration in the Taeeum type were higher than in the Soyang and Soeum types. 3) In the FRS low risk group, the mean hsCRP concentration were higher in order of Taeeum type > Soyang type > Soeum type. In the FRS high risk group, the mean hsCRP concentrations were not significantly different among the Sasang constitutional types. 4. Conclusions The results of this study suggest that the Taeeum constitutional type is a risk factor for high hsCRP and cardiovascular disease. These findings suggest that the prevention of cardiovascular disease is more important in the Taeeum type compared to other constitutional types. Moreover, preventive measures are warranted even in the Taeeum-type persons with low clinical cardiovascular risk.
Biological Change by Forest Healing according to Sasang Constitution : preliminary study
Hong, Sun-Gi ; Choi, Eun-Ju ; Sun, Seung-Ho ; Choi, Ga-Young ; Lee, Sun-Ju ; Han, In-Sik ; Lee, Jae-Hun ; Yoo, Jun-Sang ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 487~502
1. Objective This study was performed to research the biological change of forest healing according to Sasang constitution. 2. Methods Forty seven applicants are involved in this study. They were classified into three groups(Soyangin, Taeeumin, Soeumin) by QSCC II. And then they participated in forest healing program from March 26 to March 27 in 2011. We performed before and after experiment, including vital sign, electroencephalography(EEG), heart rate variability(HRV), complete blood cell count(CBC), biochemical test(BC), and stress hormones. 3. Results Men had the relaxative effect of tension. While, the group of women and Soyangin was more sensitive to sudden environmental change than the group of men or other constitutions. The tension of women and soyangin's group increased after the forest healing program. Soeumin group showed reduced diastolic blood pressure after the forest healing program. 3. Conclusions Forest healing program has shown better efficacy in relaxation in men than women, in lowering diastolic blood pressure in Soeumin group than other constitutional groups. However a single positive result within this study should be carefully interpreted.
A Study about Constitutional Disease Syndromes at a Hospital of Oriental Medicine
Kwon, Eun-Mi ; Kim, Sun-Hyung ; An, Ji-Hye ; Song, An-Na ; Kim, Dal-Rae ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 503~513
1. Objective This study aimed to find out the epidemiologic characteristics of constitutional disease syndromes at a hospital of Oriental medicine in Seoul. 2. Methods The medical records of 1354 subjects who have received prescriptions and diagnosis of Sasang constitution from January 2008 to December 2009 at a hospital of Oriental medicine were reviewed. General factors and the frequency of the prescriptions according to Sasang constitution were compared and analyzed. 3. Results 1) Among the 1354 subjects, 562(41.5%) persons were males and 792(58.5%) females. 614(45.3%) persons were Soeumin, 369(27.3%) Soyangin, 364(26.9%) Taeumin, and 7(0.5%) Taeyangin. 2) The frequencies of the prescriptions of 14 constitutional disease syndromes were compared. Taeum Syndrome, Esophagus Cold Syndrome and Yin Deficiency Tidal fever Syndrome show the high frequencies among 14 disease syndromes. Chest Heat Syndrome, Deficiency of Yin and Blood syndrome and Soeum Syndrome show the low frequencies among 14 disease syndromes. Interior disease(63.4%) was higher than exterior disease(36.6%) and mild disease(61.8%) was higher than severe disease(38.2%). 3) Among all constitutional prescriptions, Jowyiseungchung-tang was the most common and next rankings were Gupoong-tang and Dokhwaljihwang-tang in turns. 4. Conclusions From all these considerations, it would seem that Taeum Syndrome in Soeumin, Esophagus Cold Syndrome in Taeumin and Yin Deficiency Tidal fever Syndrome in Soyangin show the high frequencies in a hospital of Oriental medicine in Seoul. Large-scale epidemiologic study in Sasang constitutional medicine may be needed on various ways and places.
A Study on Constitutional Medicine Researchers' View and Attitude Concerning Human Research Ethics
Kwon, Ji-Hye ; Yoo, Jong-Hyang ; Kim, Yun-Young ; Kim, Ho-Suk ; Lee, Si-Woo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 514~525
1. Objectives This study aims to find out identify the recognition and attitude about the research ethic among Constitutional medicine researchers. 2. Methods This survey was conducted to the 37 researchers who were currently participating in Korea Constitution Multicenter Study guided by Korea institute of Oriental medicine(KIOM). The survey consist of 4 parts that level of acknowledgment about the systems and laws on clinical research ethic, clinical research experiences and education, the level of acknowledgment about Institutional Review Board(IRB) and the recognition about overall research ethic. 3. Results Thirty one questionnaires were collected. Most researchers had low level of acknowledgment about the guidelines of basic research ethic. It was proved that more than 65% of the respondents have never received education for clinical research ethic. Moreover, 70% of them felt the need for education of clinical research ethic. In addition, most of the respondents recognized the fact that IRB is responsible for ethically implementing clinical research. 39% of the researchers thought that they themselves have a firm ethical viewpoint, while the rest of the group showed somewhat difficulty on their own ethical implementation of clinical research. 4. Conclusions Most of researcher had partial awareness of regulations and laws on clinical research ethic. And Educational needs of research ethic was high. Therefore education and Public Relations need to be done to extend research ethic. Moreover, standardized course of education on research ethic should be developed and activated.
The Study of The Hyperhidrosis Patient Treated with Yanggyuksanhwa-tang
Lee, Jae-Hun ; Shin, Mi-Ran ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 526~532
1. Objectives This study was designed to investigate the effect of Yanggyuksanhwa-tang(凉膈散火湯) to twelve hyperhidrosis patients. 2. Methods From May, 2008 to August, 2010, we treated hyperhidrosis patients with Yanggyuksanhwa-tang(凉膈散火湯). We survey demographic characters, symptoms of patients and efficacy of Yanggyuksanhwa-tang(凉膈散火湯). 3. Results 1) Twenties, thirties and males were more suffer from hyperhidrosis. 2) The patients who had dysuria got treatment efficacy negatively. 3) Treatment efficacy was affected by number of herbal medicine positively. 4. Conclusions This study shows that Yanggyuksanhwa-tang(凉膈散火湯) has effect to hyperhidrosis in Soeyangin. Treatment efficacy was affected by number of herbal medicine significantly.
A Case of Soeumin Rectal Cancer Misdiagnosed as a Taeyangin and Mistreated with Mihuedungsikjang-tang
An, Ji-Hye ; Kwon, Eun-Mi ; Song, An-Na ; Kim, Eun-Hee ; Park, So-Jung ; Jung, Yee-Hong ; Choi, Won-Chul ; Lee, Soo-Kyung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 533~540
In this case, we report a case of Soeumin rectal cancer patient who was mistreated with herb medication. This patient was 72 years old female diagnosed rectal cancer stage IV with multiple liver, lung, and LN metastases. She administered our cancer center in Sep. 2011 for cancer treatment, we diagnosed this patient as Taeyangin at first, and treated with Mihuedungsikjang-tang. After 1 week, she complained upper abdominal discomfort, severe abdominal pain, nausea and sweating. Considering several symptoms and conditions, the change of symptoms seemed to a adverse events caused by mistreatment. We re-diagnosed this patient as Soeumin, and treated with Soeumin herbal medication, Baekhaoleejung-tang(白何烏理中湯) and Hyangsayangyi-tang(香砂養胃湯). Several symptoms including abdominal pain were improved 2 weeks later. Therefore, we report this case as a reference that Soeumin misdiagnosed as Taeyangin and the improvement of adverse symptoms.
3 Cases Reports of Treatment of A Soyangin Patient that Haved Tension-Type Headache with By Euphorbiae Kansui. Radix(Gam-sui)
Kim, Seong-Ki ; Ham, Seong-Hun ; Song, Eun-Young ; Lim, Eun-Chul ; Seo, Sang-Kyoung ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 541~547
1. Objective We report a series of 3 cases Euphorbiae Kansui. Radix(Gam-sui) which is based on Sasang constitutional Medicine for Tension-Type Headache in Soyangin. 2. Methods We treated a 3 Soyangin patients that had Tension-Type Headache. We prescribed Euphorbiae Kansui. Radix(Gam-sui) for their physical symptoms. The improvement of their Tension-Type Headache was evaluated 3. Results After the Euphorbiae Kansui. Radix(Gam-sui) was given, the patient's Headache and physical symptoms were improved. 4. Conclusions This cases studies showed an efficient result of using Euphorbiae Kansui. Radix(Gam-sui) in the Tension-Type Headache of Soyangin.
Two Case Reports of Acne Patients who were Constitutionally Typed as Taeeumin and Soeumin
Ha, Jin-Ho ; Kim, Seong-Tae ; Choi, Ae-Ryun ; Koo, Deok-Mo ;
Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, volume 23, issue 4, 2011, Pages 548~556
1. Objective To review the effectiveness affecting to acne patients by Yeoldahanso-tang(熱多寒少湯) and Hyangsayangyi-tang(香砂養胃湯) who were constitutionally typed as Taeeumin and Soeumin 2. Methods The patient's subjective and objective symptoms were observed. After treatment's we compared the photos before and after, and estimated by Korean Acne Grading System(KAGS-2) 3. Results After we treated two cases of acne patient with constitutional prescription, their symptoms and result of KAGS-2 improved 4. Conclusions This case study showed an effectiveness of using Sasang Constitutional prescription in Taeeumin and Soeumin to Acne.