Go to the main menu
Skip to content
Go to bottom
REFERENCE LINKING PLATFORM OF KOREA S&T JOURNALS
> Journal Vol & Issue
Journal of architectural history
Journal Basic Information
Journal DOI :
Korean Association of Architectural History
Editor in Chief :
Volume & Issues
Volume 19, Issue 6 - Dec 2010
Volume 19, Issue 5 - Oct 2010
Volume 19, Issue 4 - Aug 2010
Volume 19, Issue 3 - Jun 2010
Volume 19, Issue 2 - Apr 2010
Volume 19, Issue 1 - Feb 2010
Selecting the target year
A Study on the Restoration of the Wangheungsa Temple's Wooden Pagoda
Kim, Kyeong-Pyo ; Sung, Sang-Mo ;
Journal of architectural history, volume 19, issue 3, 2010, Pages 7~29
The form of the Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda site is that of the traditional form of the wooden pagodas constructed during the Baekjae Period. Likewise, it is an important ruin for conducting research on the form and type of the wooden pagodas constructed during the Baekjae Period. In particular, the method used for the installation of the central pillar's cornerstone is a new technique. The purpose of this research is to restore the ruin of the Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda of the Baekjae Period that remains at the Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda site. Until now, research conducted on the wooden pagoda took place mostly centered on the Hwangryongsa Temple's wooden pagoda. Meanwhile, the reality concerning Baekjae's wooden pagoda is one in which there were not many parallel cases pertain to the design for restoration. This research paper wants to conduct academic examination of the Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda to organize the intention of design and design process in a simple manner. This research included review of the Baekjae Period's wooden pagoda related ruins and the review of the existing wooden pagoda ruin to analyze the wooden pagoda construction technique of the era. Then, current status of the Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda site is identified to define the characteristics of the wooden pagoda, and to set up the layout format and the measure to estimate the size of the wooden pagoda in order to design each part. Ultimately, techniques and formats used for the restoration of the wooden pagoda were aligned with the wooden pagoda of the Baekjae Period. Basically, conditions that can be traced from the current status of the Wangheungsa Temple site excavation using the primary standards as the standard. Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda was designed into the wooden pagoda of the Baekjae's prosperity phase. The plane was formed into
compartments to design into three tier pagoda. The height was decided by factoring in the distance between the East-West corridors, size of the compartment in the middle, and the view that is visible from above the terrace when entering into the waterway. Basically, the origin of the wooden structure format is based on the Goguryeo style, but also the linkage with China's southern regional styles and Japan's ancient wooden pagoda methods was factored in. As for the format of the central pillar, it looks as if the column that was erected after digging the ground was used when setting up the columns in the beginning. During the actual construction work of the wooden pagoda, central pillar looks as if it was erected by setting up the cornerstone on the ground. The reason that the reclaimed part of pillar that use the underground central cornerstone as the support was not utilized, was because the Eccentric Load of the central pillar's cornerstone was factored in the state of the layers of soil piled up one layer at a time that is repeated with the yellow clay and sandy clay and the yellow clay that were formed separately with the
angle at the upper part of the central pillar's cornerstone was factored in as well. Thus, it was presumed that the central pillar was erected in the actual design using the ground style format. It is possible to presume the cases in which the reclaimed part of pillar were used when constructed for the first time, but in which central pillar was installed later on, after the supplementary materials of the underground column is corroded. In this case, however, technique in which soil is piled up one layer at a time to lay down the foundation of a building structure cannot be the method used in that period, and the reclamation cannot fill up using the
angle. Thus, it was presumed that the layers of soil for building structure's foundation was solidified properly on top of the central pillar's cornerstone when the first wooden pagoda construction work was taking place, and that the ground style central pillar was erected on its upper part by placing the cornerstone once again. Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda is significant from the structure development aspect of the Korean wooden pagodas along with the Hwangryongsa Temple's wooden pagoda. Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda construction technique which was developed during the prosperity phase of the Baekjae Period is presumed to have served as a role model for the construction of the Iksan Mireuksa Temple's wooden pagoda and Hwangryongsa Temple's wooden pagoda. With the plan to complement the work further by excavating more, the basic wooden pagoda model was set up for this research. Wangheungsa Temple's wooden pagoda was constructed as at the Baekjae Kingdom wide initiative, and it was the starting point for the construction of superb pagoda using state of the art construction techniques of the era during the Baekjae's prosperous years, amidst the utmost interest of all the Baekjae populace. Starting out from its inherent nature of enshrining Sakyamuni's ashes, it served as the model that represented the unity of all the Baekjae populace and the spirit of the Baekjae people. It interpreted these in the most mature manner on the Korean peninsula at the time.
The Study on the Character and Formation of the Honjeon during the Reign of Sukjong in Joseon Dynasty - Centering on Munjeongjeon in ChangkyeongGung -
Shin, Ji-Hye ;
Journal of architectural history, volume 19, issue 3, 2010, Pages 31~49
This study intends to look into management and architectural space composition of Honjeon during the reign of Sukjong. Also it purposes to inspect how to affect management of the Royal Palace. The study is based on each Binjeon Honjeon Dogam Eugwe between late 17C and 18C. And the data on management of the Royal Palace is based on Joseonwangjosillok and Seungjeongwon Ilgi. Because Sukjong used ChangDeokgung and GyeongDeokgung alternately, Honjeon located at Munjeongjeon of ChangGyeonggung during Sukjong stayed at ChangDeokgung and located at Gyesangdang of GyeongDeokgung during Sukjong stayed at GyeongDeokgung. At that time, often movement of the King modified procedure of moving Honjeon. Between the first year of Hyenjong and the 9th year of Sukjong, architectural space of Honjeon was settled. In 1659, territory of Jeongjeon was settled. Also between 1674 and 1684, Goklimcheong was built. Construction of Goklimcheong is noticeable character. As Munjeongjeon was being used as Honjeon continually, it was recognized as Honjeon. Due to its long utilization as Honjeon, several gonvernment offices were transferred. Also it influenced utilization of Myeongjeongjeon.
A Study on the Japanese Military Installations of Oiyang-po in Gadeok-do - Focused on the Architectural Characteristics and Constructional Process of an Army Barracks and Artillery Position -
Lee, Ji-Young ; Seo, Chi-Sang ;
Journal of architectural history, volume 19, issue 3, 2010, Pages 51~70
This paper aims to examine the constructional background and process of the Japanese military installations of Oiyang-po(外洋浦), especially based on the military secret documents. Furthermore, it aims to analyze the characteristics of the remains. The results are as follow; 1) The number of the Japanese military secret documents concerning with the installations of Oiyang-po, summed up to 33s. Especially, 14 documents about the expropriation of the lands and houses, and the constructions of the artillery position are reserved in "Mildae-ilgi"(密大日記)written from 1893 to 1942. 2) Imperialist Japan constructed firstly the military installations of Oiyang-po against the Russo-Japanese War. After the moving of the artillery headquarters into Masan in 1911, these installations had been maintained for the defense of Busan and Jinhae Bays. 3) As soon as 1904, the lands and houses of Oiyang-po were forcibly expropriated according to
(韓日議定書). The Korean Government payed the expropriation prices to the dwellers. But the amount of money were too small and were lately payed. Moreover the dwellers' fishery right were never recompensed. 4) In 1904, the artillery headquarters and position were constructed by the 3rd Chookseong-dan(築城團) under the command of Matsui, a military engineer officer. The executional constructions were accomplished by the Japanese construction contractors. 5) After the moving of the artillery headquarters into Masan in 1911, the 3rd Chookseong-dan had usually repaired and consolidated the explosive warehouses and artillery facilities. 6) The artillery position constructed with the thick concrete walls was located at the foot of the mountain in back. It's plan was similar to the rectangular shape. It reserved six 280㎜ howizers and several explosive warehouses. 7) The reserve funds and arsenal funds were used for the constructions. And the items of expenses such as the establishments of the electric lights and communication networks, and the repairs of the explosive warehouses were mainly recoded in "Mildae-ilgi".
On the Site Plan and History of Simgok seowon Confucian Academy
Lee, Seung-Yeon ; Lee, Sang-Hae ;
Journal of architectural history, volume 19, issue 3, 2010, Pages 71~87
Sewon was a new type of private academy established by a class landed Confucian scholars known as sarim. During Joseon dynasty, sewon had dual functions as a shrine and a place of learning. The site plan of seowon appeared mainly two types of site plan according to the indications of the age and school. This paper was done to analyze the site plan and construction history of Simgok seowon with historical materials and excavation investigation result. Simgok seowon is dedicated to Jo Gwang-jo(1482~1519). This private Confucian academy was founded in 1605 as a small shrine, which was destroyed in 1636. Thereafter, when the shrine received a royal warrant naming as Simgok seowon in 1650, the new site for the seowon was chosen, which is currently located in Gyeonggi-do Yongin-si Sanghyeon-ri 203. Since then, buildings of Simgok seowon was constructed and repaired couple of times. Through the investigation, it was found that the site plan of Simgok seowon was originally a type of 'jeonjaehudang', that is, dormitory building between the lecture hall and the outer gate, or dormitory building is in front and lecture hall is in behind.
A Study on the Existence of Lime Plaster Wall in the Joseon Dynasty, Based on the Analysis of Construction Reports of 'Sanleong-Uigwe' & 'Yeonggeon-Uigwe' - Emphasized on the Government Building Constructions -
Lee, Kweon-Yeong ;
Journal of architectural history, volume 19, issue 3, 2010, Pages 89~106
Since the 1970's, UNESCO and ICOMOS have adopted or emphasized on the principles of historic preservation. One of them is what to require a repair should not be repaired beyond the limits of the features and techniques which had been adopted in those days of establishment. On the premise, this paper is to examine the materials and technique of wall plaster work in the government building constructions in the Joseon dynasty. The result of this examination shall come up with a basic conformity in the case of repairing the building established in the late of Joseon dynasty. This paper is carried out for the proper repair and restoration of architectural cultural properties. Construction reports and other documents in those days are examined for the study. Following conclusions have been reached through the study. The materials and technique which applied to wall plaster work in those days were quite different from the present. The technique that was used to wall plaster of government buildings in those days was not a lime wall plaster, but sand coat one. The kinds of material for setting of the sand coat wall plaster had been revised with the change of the times or constructions. The main kinds of material were composed of sand, white clay, paper fiber, and cereal starch. However, the present materials were composed of sand, white clay. Therefore, the present materials and technique which applied to wall plaster work for the repair and restoration of architectural cultural properties have to be revised and corrected.
Constructional Tradition and Meaning of the Corner High Column Method
Hong, Byung-Hwa ; Lee, Eun-Soo ;
Journal of architectural history, volume 19, issue 3, 2010, Pages 107~124
The coner high column method that is used in the multi-roof building Sungryemoon seems to have been used for the first time during the Choseon Dynasty, and it's characteristics and trend of usage are studied in this paper. In the results, it was confirmed that the coner high column method is economic and structurally safe, and selectively combines the structural factors used in the Chinese seats. It was found that this method was a newly adopted construction method to effectively express the authority of the country with the establishment of a new dynasty. Also the meaning of the method could be guessed since it was continuously used in important structures from the Choseon Dynasty to the Daehan Empire, in spite of the new multi-roof building technologies.