- Volume 8 Issue 1
This study was conducted to determine the effectiveness of silver thiosulfate(STS) in reducing $O_3$ injury to tomato plants(Lycopersicon esculentm Mill. 'Pink Glory'). Two days prior to $O_3$ fumigation, plants were given a foliar spray of STS solution at concentrations of 0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6 mM contained with 0.05% Tween-20. STS concentrations below 0.6 mM were significantly effective in providing protection aginst $O_3$ exposure(16 h at 0.3 ppm). STS reduced leaf injury rate, defoliation of cotyledons, ethylene production and degree of epinasty induced by $O_3$ injury. STS slightly increased ethylene production in non-$O_3$-fumigated plants, but changes of chlorophyll content and transpiration rate on a whole plant basis were not observed. In $O_3$-fumigated plants, STS treatment reduced chlorophyll destruction but did not affect transpiration rate. STS treatment seemed not to affect peroxidase(POD) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity in non-fumigated plants but reduced increasing activity of POD by $O_3$ fumigation. However, such an effect as above was not found in SOD activity. Even though enzymatic protection effects were not confirmed, the fact that reduction of acute injury rate was attained for 16 h fumigation indicates that the phytoprotective effects of STS are not necessarily related to blocking the action of strees-induced-ethylene as an anti-ethylene agent.
- 충남대 환경연구보고 v.5 no.2 Silver thiosulfate 처리가 토마토의 오존피해경감에 미치는 효과 구자형
- Plant Physiol. v.24 Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplast, polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgraris Arnon,D.I.
- J. Plant Growth Regul. v.3 Anatomical and physiological effects of silver thiosulfate on ethylene-induced abscission in coleus Baird,L.M.;M.S.Reid;B.D.Webster
- Hort-Science v.11 no.3 Silver ion : a potent antiethylene agent in cucumber and tomato Beyer,E.M.Jr.
- Scientia Hortic. v.19 Use of silver thiosulfate to prevent flower abscission from potted plants Carmeron,A.C.;M.S.Reid
- J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. v.107 no.6 Ozone sensitivity of herbaceous plants : modification by ethylenediurea Cathey,H.M.;H.E.Heggestad
- Atmos. Environ. v.6 Enzymatic changes in intact levels of Phaseolus vulgaris following ozone fumigation Dass,H.C.;G.M.Weaver
- Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. v.44 Superoxide dismutase Fridovich,I.
- Plant Physiol. v.69 Superoxide dismutase : a possible protective enzyme against ozone injury in snap beans Lee,E.H.;J.H.Bennett
- J. Biol. Chem. v.244 Superoxide dismutase : an enzymatic function of erythrocuprein(hemocuprein) McCord,J.M.;I.Fridovich
- Naturwisseschaften v.61 Ozone effects on chlorophyll a and b Nobel,P.S.
- Hort Science v.9 no.2 Protecting horticultural plants from atmospheric pollutions : a review Ormrod,D.P.;N.O.Adedipe
- Plant Physiol. v.51 Changes in respiration, photosynthesis, adenose-5'-triphosphate, and total adenylate content of ozonated pinto bean foliage as they relate to symptom expression Pell,E.J.;E.Brennan
- Plant Physiol. v.25 Indole-3-acetic acid levels and the role of indole-3-acetic acid oxidase in normal root and club-root of cabbage Raa,J.
- Atmos. Environ. v.10 Stress ethylene evolution : a measure of ozone effects on plants Tingey,D.T.;C.Standley;R.W.Field
- Planta v.145 Effects of silver on ethylene synthesis and action in cut carnation Veen,H.