- Volume 11 Issue 1
STUDIES ON IMMUNOTOXIC POTENTIAL OF METHAMPHETAMINE (MA) IN Balb/C MICE I. Changes of Lymphoid Organs and Inhibitory Effect of Lymphocyte Proliferation to Mitogen
- Lim, Chae-Woong (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Rim, Byung-Moo (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Ho-Il (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Sang-Ho (Department of Pathology, Medical School, Chonbuk National University)
- Published : 1995.06.01
The immune system is partially under the control of the sympathetic and parasymphathetic nervous systems through the regulatory feedback loop. Methamphetamine (MA) is a neurotoxic chemical which affects the neurotransmitter system. The objective of this study was to investigate the immunotoxic effect of MA on the major immune target organ and lymphocyte proliferation to the various mitogens. Female Balb/C mice, 15 to 20 g, were injected subcutaneously with 0, 0.5, or 5 mg MA/kg for 14 consecutive days. In MA treated mice, the body weight gain and relative spleen and thymus weight were decreased in doserelated manner. Histopathologically, there was a paucity of lymphold follicles and germinal centers in the spleen, and thymic cortical atrophy with lymphophagocytosis was prominent. Apoptosis also occurred in germinal centers of spleen and thymic cortex. The threshold and peak of lymphocyte proliferation at various concentration of mitogens showed similar patterns. However, the response to lipopolysaccaride (LPS) and pokeweed mitogen (PWM) in the 5 mg MA/kg treated group showed threshold and peak proliferation at high concentration of mitogens (25
- Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. v.30 Interactions between the brain and the immune system Ader,R.;Felten,D.L.;Cohen,N.
- J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. v.189 The importance of neuronal intake of amines for amphetamine induced release of ³H-norepinephrine from isolated brain tissue Azzaro,A.J.;Ziazce,R.J.;Rutledge,C.O.
- Amphetanine and brain catecholamine in amphetamines and related compounds Carlsson,A.
- J. Nutr. v.124 Nutrition and immunity: An overview Chandra,R.K.;Kumari,S.
- Toxicol. and Appl. Phamacol. v.128 Contemporary issues in toxicology. Apoptosis: molecular control point in toxicology Corcoran,G.B.;Fix,L.;Jones,D.P.;Moslen,M.T.;Nocotera,P.;Oberhammer,F.A.;Buttyan,R.
- Immunol. Today v.11 Effects of stress on th immune system David,N.K.;Anthony,J.M.;Robert,E.F.
- Soc. Neurosci. Abstract v.12 Denervation of splenic sympathetic fibers in the young adult rat Felten,D.L.;Bellinger,D.L.;Ackerman,K.D.;Felten,S.Y.
- Immunol. Rev. v.100 Noradrenergic sympathetic neural interactions with the immune system: structure and function Felten,D.L.;Felten,S.Y.;Bellinger,D.L.;Carlson,S.L.;Ackerman,K.D.;Madden,K.S.;Olschowki,J.A.;Livnat,S.
- J. Immunol. v.135 Noradrenergic and peptidergic innervation of lymphoid tissue Felten,D.L.;Felten,S.Y.;Carlson,S.L.;Olschowka,J.A.;Livnat,S.
- Arch. Toxicol. v.64 Subclinical effects of ground water contaminants Gin,C.H.;Robert,D.R.P.;Raghubir,P.S.;Brian,J.H.
- Cancer Res. v.45 no.Sup. HTLV-Ⅲ exposure among drug users Harold,M.G.;Stanley,H.W.;Mhairi,G.M.;Robert,L.H.
- J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. v.214 Long-term effects of multiple doses of methamphetamine on trytophan hydeoxylase and tyrosine hydroxylase activity in rat brain Hotchkiss,A.J.;Gibb,J.W.
- Amphetamine and its derivatives in drugs of abuse James,A.G.;Andrew,E.S.
- J Immunopharmacol. v.3 Effects of β-adrenergic agents on the murine lymphocyte response to mitogen stimulation Johnson,D.L.;Ashmore,R.C.;Gordon,M.A.
- Preparation of lymphocytes from solid lymphoid organs in practical immunology (3rd ed.) Leslie,H.;Frank,C.H.
- Physiological Reviews v.75 Experimental basis for neuralinnune interactions Madden,K.;Felten,D.L.
- Life Science v.49 Effects of amphetamine on T cell immune response in mice Manuel,F.G.;Jose,L.B.;Maria,J.N.;Maria,T.C.;Jose,B.L.;Jose,C.F.;Angel,B.
- Lancet v.35 Acute pulmonary oedema caused by crystalline methamphetamine Nestor,T.A.;Tamamoto,W.I.;Schults,T.
- T lymphocyte activation in Fundamental Immunology(2nd ed.) Paul,W.E.
- Brain Res. v.235 Dopamine nerve terminal degeneration produced by high doses of methyamphetamine in the rat brain Ricaurte,G.A.;Seiden,L.S.;Schuster,C.R.
- Brain Res. v.181 Long-lasting depletions of striatal dopamine and loss of dopamine uptake sites following repeated admiuistoration of metham phetamine Wagner,G.C.;Ricautre,G.A.;Seiden,L.S.;Schuster,C.R.;Miller,R.J.;Westley,J.