- Volume 14 Issue 4
As advanced earthquake analysis/design methods such as the nonlinear static analysis are developed, it is required to estimate precisely the cyclic behavior of reinforced concrete members that is characterized by strength, deformability, and capacity of energy dissipation. However, currently, estimation of energy dissipation depends on empirical equations that are not sufficiently accurate, or experiment and sophisticated numerical analysis which are difficult to use in practice.0 the present study, nonlinear finite element analysis was performed to investigate the behavioral characteristics of flexure-dominant RC members under cyclic load. The effects of axial force, arrangement of reinforcing bars, and reinforcement ratio on the cyclic behavior were studied. Based on the investigation, a simplified method to estimate the capacity of energy dissipation was proposed, and it was verified by the comparison with the finite element analyses and experiments. The proposed method can estimate the energy dissipation of RC members more precisely than currently used empirical equations, and it is easily applicable in practice.
- ATC, "Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Concrete Buildings," AcTC-40, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California, 1996.
- Vecchio, F. J. and Collins, M. P., "The Modified Compression-Field Theory for Reinforced Concrete Elements Subjected to Shear," ACI Structural Journal, Vol.83, No.2, 1986, pp.219-231.
- Park, H. and Klingner, R. E., "Nonlinear Analysis of RC Members Using Plasticity with Multiple Failure Criteria," J. of Struct. Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 123, No. 5, 1997, pp.643-651. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:5(643)
- Brown, R. H., and Jirsa, J. O., "Reinforced Concrete Beams under Load Reversals," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 68, No. 5, 1971, pp.380-390.
- Thomsen, J. H. and Wallace, J. W., "Displacement-Based Design of RC Structural Walls: An Experimental Investigation of Walls with Rectangular and T-shaped Cross-Sections," Report No. CU/CEE-95/06
- Building Seismic Safety Council, "NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings," FEMA-273, Federal emergency Management Council, Washington, D.C, 1997.
- Seckin, M., "Hysteretic Behavior of Cast-in-Place Exterior Beam-Column Sub-Assembles," Ph. D. Thesis, University of Toronto, 1981, pp.266
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M. J. N. "Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings," John Wiley & Sons, INC., NewYork, 1992.
- Equations for Estimating Energy Dissipation Capacity of Flexure-Dominated RC Members vol.14, pp.6, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2002.14.6.989