- Volume 14 Issue 6
As advanced earthquake design methods using nonlinear static analysis are developed, it is required to estimate precisely the cyclic behavior of reinforced concrete members that is characterized by strength, deformability, and energy dissipation. In a recent study, a simplified method which can estimate accurately the energy dissipation capacity of flexure-dominated RC members subjected to repeated cyclic load was developed. Based on the previously developed method, in the present study, simple equations that can be used for calculating the energy dissipation capacity were derived and verified by the comparison with experimental results. Through parametric study using the proposed equations, effects of axial load, reinforcement ratio, rebar arrangement, md ductility on the dissipated energy were investigated. The proposed equations can accurately estimate the energy dissipation capacity compared with the existing empirical equations, and therefore they will be useful for the nonlinear static analysis/design methods.
- ATC, "Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Concrete Buildings," ATC-40, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California, 1996.
- M.J.N Priestley, "Performance Based Seismic Design," Paper No. 2831, 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (WCEE), 2000.
- 엄태성, 박홍근, "휨지배 철근콘크리트 부재의 에너지 소산능력 평가방법," 한국콘크리트학회 논문집, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2002, pp.566-577. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2002.14.4.566
- Chang, G. A. and Mander, J. B., "Seismic Energy Based Fatigue Damage Analysis of Bridge Columns, Part I: Evaluation of Seismic Capacity," Technical Report NCEER-940006, Buffalo, New York, 1994.
- Seckin, M., "Hysteretic Behavior of Castin-place Exterior Beam-Column Sub-Assembles," Ph. D. Thesis, University of Toronto, 1981, pp.266.
- Thomsen, J. H. and Wallace, J. W., "Displacement-Based Design of RC Structural Walls: An Experimental Investigation of Walls with Rectangular and T-shaped Cross-Sections," Report No. CU/CEE-95/06.
- Brown, R. H. and Jirsa, J. O., "Reinforced Concrete Beams under Load Reversals," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 68, No.5, 1971, pp.380-390.