- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Investigation on mechanics performance of cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges
- Zhang, Xin-Jun (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology)
- Received : 2007.04.18
- Accepted : 2007.11.04
- Published : 2007.12.25
The cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridge is a cooperative system of the cable-stayed bridge and suspension bridge, and takes some advantages and also makes up some deficiencies of both the two bridge systems, and therefore becomes strong in spanning. By taking the cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridge, suspension bridge and cable-stayed bridge with main span of 1400 m as examples, the mechanics performance including the static and dynamic characteristics, the aerostatic and aerodynamic stability etc is investigated by 3D nonlinear analysis. The results show that as compared to the suspension bridge and cable-stayed bridge, the cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridge has greater structural stiffness, less internal forces and better wind stability, and is favorable to be used in super long-span bridges.
- Balsamo, F. P. and Drewery, R. M. (1989), "Inspection and rehabilitation of the John A. Roebling suspension bridge", Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Bridge Conference, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
- Boonyapinyo, V., Yamada, H. and Miyata, T. (1994), "Wind-induced nonlinear lateral-torsional buckling of cable-stayed bridges", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 120(2), 486-506. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:2(486)
- Chen, A. R. and Song, J. Z. (2000), Wind-resistant Research on the Runyang Bridge, Research Report, Tongji University.
- China Standard JTG D60 (2004), General Code for Design of Highway Bridges and Culverts, China Communication Press, Beijing, China (in Chinese).
- Finzi, L. and Castllani, A. (1992), "Innovative structural system for 2 mile span suspension bridge", Innovative Large Span Structures, IASS CSCE International Congress, Toronto.
- Fumoto, K., Murakoshi, J., Hata, K. and Miyazaki, M. (2004), "A study on the aerodynamic characteristics of a new type of super long span bridge", Proceedings of IABSE Congress, Shanghai.
- Gimsing, N. J. (1992), "Design of a long-span cable-supported bridge across the Great Belt in Denmark", Innovative Large Span Structures, IASS CSCE International Congress, Toronto.
- Gimsing, N. J. (1997), Cable-supported bridges- Concept & Design, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, England.
- Hu, J. (2000), "Theoretical study of long-span cable-stayed-suspension bridges", Ph.D. thesis, Northern Jiaotong University, Beijing, China.
- Lin, T. Y. and Chow, P. (1991), "Giraltar straits crossing- a challenge to bridge and structural engineers", Struct. Eng. Int., Journal of the IABSE, (2), 53-58.
- Meng, Y., Liu, D. and Sun, S. H. (1999). "Study on the design of long-span cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges", Journal of Chongqing Jiaotong Institute, 18(4), 8-12.
- Nagai, M., Xie, X., Yamaguchi, H. and Fujino,Y. (1998), "Static and dynamic instability analyses of 1400-meter long-span cable-stayed bridges", IABSE Reports, 79, 281-286.
- Sato, H., Kusuhara, S., Ogi, K., Kitagawa, M. and Ito, S. (2000), "Wind resistance of super long bridges in smooth flow", Proceedings of the 16th Wind Engineering Symposium, JAWE, Nov.
- Wang, H. J., Shioi, Y., Hasegawa, A. and Takanori, E. (2001), "Displacement characteristics of compound bridge of suspension bridges and cable-stayed bridges", IABSE Conference on Cable-supported bridges- Challenge Technical Limits, Seoul, Korea.
- Xiao, R. C. and Xiang, H. F. (1999), "Mechanics characteristics and economic performances study for cablestayed-suspension bridges", China Journal of Highway and Transportation, 12(3), 43-48.
- Xiao, R. C. (2000), "Research on the design of cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges", China Civil Engineering Journal, 33(5), 46-51.
- Zen, P., Zhong, T.Y., Yan, G. P. (2002), " An study of dynamic characteristics for large- span cable- stayedsuspension bridges", Chinese Journal of Computational Mechanics, 19(4), 472-475
- Zhang, X.J., Sun, B.N. and Xiang, H. F. (2002), "Nonlinear Aerostatic and Aerodynamic Analysis of Long-span Cable-stayed Bridges Considering Wind-structure Interactions", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerody., 90(9), 1065-1080.
- Study of seismic performance of cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges vol.55, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.6.1203
- Effects of partially earth-anchored cable system on dynamic wind response of cable-stayed bridges vol.11, pp.6, 2008, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.6.441
- Study of seismic performance and favorable structural system of suspension bridges vol.60, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.60.4.595