- Volume 13 Issue 1
Breast MRI is a cutting-edge technology in the diagnosis and intervention of breast abnormalities. Over the last decade, breast MRI has evolved from a research field to a clinical field. Radiologists should understand the indications, how to obtain adequate images, and how to interpret and report their findings. Breast MRI is now used in the differentiation of benign from malignant mass, preoperative staging of breast cancer patients, assessment of tumor response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy, and evaluation of women with breast implants. It can also be used as a supplemental screening modality for high-risk women. Qualified radiologists and adequate MRI technique are crucial for the success of these purposes. This review is focused on the indication, standardized use of lexicon and categorization of breast MRI.
- Schneider BP, Miller KD.Angiogenesis of breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:1782-1790. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.12.017
- Heywang SH, Wolf A, Pruss E, Hilbertz T, Eiermann W, Permanetter W. MR imaging of the breast with Gd-DTPA: use and limitations. Radiology. 1989;171:95-103. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.171.1.2648479
- Kaiser WA, Zeitler E. MR imaging of the breast: fast imaging sequences with and without Gd-DTPA. Preliminary observations. Radiology 1989;170:681-686. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.170.3.2916021
- Harms SE, Flamig DP, Hesley KL, et al. MR imaging of the breast with rotating delivery of excitation off resonance: clinical experience with pathologic correlation. Radiology 1993;187:493-501. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.187.2.8475297
- ACR Practice Guideline for the performance of magnetic resonance imaging of the breast 2004 p517-519.
- Saslow D, Boetes C, Burke W, et al. Americal cancer society guidelines for breast screening with MRI as an adjunct to mammography. CA Cancer J Clin 2007;57:75-89. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.57.2.75
- Kuhl CK, Schild HH, Morakkabati N. Dynamic bilateral contrast- enhanced MR imaging of the breast: trade-off between spatial and temporal resolution. Radiology 2005;236:789-800. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2363040811
- Kuhl C. The current status of breast MR imaging. Radiology 2007;244:356-378. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2442051620
- Bazzocchi M, Zuiani C, Panizza P, et al. Contrast-enhanced breast MRI in patients with suspicious microcalcifications on mammography: results of a multicenter trial. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2006;186:1723-1732. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.04.1898
- Morris EA. The normal breast. In Morris EA, Liberman L. Breast MRI: diagnosis and intervention. New York: Springer, 2005:23-44.
- American College of Radiology. Breast imaging reporting and data system (BI-RADS). 3rd edition. Reston (VA): American College of Radiology; 2003.
- Morris EA. Breast MR imaging lexicon updated. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2006;14:293-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mric.2006.07.001
- Liberman L, Mason G, Morris EA, Dershaw DD. Does size matter- Positive predictive value of MRI-detected breast lesions as a function of lesion size. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006;186:426-430. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.04.1707
- Brown J, Smith RC, Lee CH. Incidental Enhancing Lesions Found on MR Imaging of the Breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2001; 176: 1249-1254. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.176.5.1761249
- Nunes LW, Schnall ME, Siegelman ES, et al. Diagnostic performance characteristics of architectural features revealed by high spatial-resolution MR imaging of the breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997;169:409-415. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.169.2.9242744
- Nunes LW, Schnall MD, Orel SG. Update of Breast MR Imaging architectural interpretation model. Radiology 2001;219:484-494. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.219.2.r01ma44484
- Liberman L, Morris EA, Dershaw DD, et al. Ductal enhancement on MR imaging of the breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2003; 181:519-525. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.181.2.1810519
- Kuhl CK, Mielcareck P, Klaschik S, et al. Dynamic breast MR imaging: are signal intensity time course data useful for differential diagnosis of enhancing lesions- Radiology 1999;211:101-110. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.211.1.r99ap38101
- Lee CH. Problem solving MR imaging of the breast. Radiol Clin N Am 2004;42:919-934. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcl.2004.05.001
- Orel SG. Enhancing lesions: what do I do- In. Syllabus of Society of Breast Imaging 2007. p39-43.
- LaTrenta LR, Menell JH, Morris EA, Abramson AF, Dershaw DD, Liberman L. Breast lesions detected with MR Imaging: utility and histopathologic importance of identification with US. Radiology 2003;227:856-861. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2273012210
- Hefler L, Casselman J, Amaya B, et al. Follow-up of breast lesions detected by MRI not biopsied due to absent enhancement of contrast medium. Eur Radiol 2003;13:344-346.