- Volume 23 Issue 5
Antioxidant Activity of Ethanol Extracts of Non-Edible Parts (stalk, stem.leaf, seed) from Oriental Melon
참외 비식용부위(꼭지, 줄기.잎, 씨) 에탄올추출물의 항산화 활성
- Kim, Hye-Suk (Department of Horticulture, College of Agriculture and Life Science, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kang, Young-Hwa (Department of Horticulture, College of Agriculture and Life Science, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2010.10.04
- Accepted : 2010.10.18
- Published : 2010.10.30
In order to elucidate the antioxidant potential of non-edible parts of oriental melon, antioxidant activities and total phenolic compound contents of six samples including peel, placenta, stem leaf, flesh and seed were determined. Antioxidant activities were evaluated using in vitro DPPH, ABTS, FRAP, and SOD assay. Among non-edible parts of oriental melon, stalk showed the highest antioxidant activity and its antioxidant potential increased significantly in a dose-dependent manner. The contents of total phenolic compound were also higher than other parts. The relationship between antioxidant activities and the contents of total phenolic compound were analyzed and showed higher correlation coefficients between ABTS radical scavenging activity and contents of total phenolic compound. The above results suggest that the stalk of oriental melon may have potential as a good source for functional material.
- Ames, B.N., M.K. Shigenaga and T.M. Hagen. 1993. Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:7915-7922. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.90.17.7915
- Anagnostopoulou, M.A., P. Kefalas, V.P. Papageorgiou, A.N. Assimopoulou and D. Boskou. 2006. Radical scavenging activity of various extracts and fractions of sweet orange peel(Citrus sinensis). Food Chem. 94(1):19-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.09.047
- Benzie, I.F. and J.J. Strain. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma(FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant Power": The FRAP Assay. Anal. Biochem. 239(1):70-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Blois, M.S. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181:1199-1202. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Branen, A.L. 1975. Toxicological and biochemistry of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytolene. J. Am. Oil. Chem. Soc. 52: 59-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02901825
Coleman, M. D., S. Fernandes and L. A. Khanderia. 2003. A preliminary evaluation of a novel method to monitor a triple antioxidant combination (vitamin E, C and
$\alpha$-lipoic acid) in diabetic volunteers using in vitro methaemoglobin formation. Environ. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 14(1-2):69-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1382-6689(03)00027-9
- Corl, M. M. 1974. Antioxidant activity of tocopherol and ascorbylpalmitate and their mode of action. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 51(7): 321-325. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02633006
- Goleberg, I. 1994. Functional Foods. Chapman& Hall Press, New York, NY, USA. p. 350-550.
- Helen, W. 1996. Dietary influences on membrane function: importance in protection against oxidative damage and disease. Nutr. Biochem. 7(1):2-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(95)00152-2
- Hwang, I.W., H.R. Lee, S.K. Kim, H.Z. Zheng, J.U. Choi, S.H. Lee, S.H. Lee and S.K. Chung. 2008. Proanthocyanidin content and antioxidant characteristics of grape seeds. Korean J. Food Preserv. 15(6):859-863.
- Kim, H.S., K.M. Ku, J.K. Suh and Y.H. Kang. 2009a. Quinone reductase inductive activity and growth inhibitory effect against hepatoma cell of oriental melon extract. J. Bio-Env. Con. 18(4):448-453.
- Kim, H.S., M.J. Hong, I.Y. Kang, J.Y. Jung, H.K. Kim, Y.S. Shin, H.J. Jun, J.K. Suh and Y.H. Kang. 2009b. Radical scavenging activities and antioxidant constituents of oriental melon extract. J. Bio-Env. Con. 18(4):442-447.
- Ku, K.M., H.S. Kim, B.S. Kim and Y.H. Kang. 2009. Antioxidant activities and antioxidant constituents of pepper leaves from various cultivars and correlation between antioxidant activites and antioxidant constituents. J. Appl. Biol. Chem. 52(2):70-76. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2009.013
- Lee, Y.S., J.B. Choi, E.Y. Joo and N.W. Kim. 2007. Antioxidative activities and tyrosinase inhibition of water extracts from Ailanthus altissima. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 36(9):1113-1119. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.9.1113
- Marklund, S. and G. Marklund. 1974. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur. J. Biochem. 47:469-474. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1974.tb03714.x
- Oh. S.K., D.J. Kim, A.R. Chun, M.R. Yoon, K.J. Kim, J.S. Lee, H.C. Hong and Y.K. Kim. 2010. Antioxidant compounds and antioxidant activities of ethanol extracts from milling by-products of rice cultivars. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39(4):624-630. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.624
- Papa, S. and V. P. Skulachev. 1997. Reactive oxygen species, mitochondria, apoptosis and aging. Mol. Cell Biochem. 174(1-2):305-319. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006873518427
- Re, R., N. Pellegrini, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang and C. Rice-Evans. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 26:1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- R.D.A. 1993. 92 Agriculture and livestock criterion profit. p. 10-13. Press of RDA.
- Ronsivalli, L.J. and E.R. Vieira. 1992. Elementary food science. p. 338-344. AVI Book, New York.
- Sakihama Y, M.F. Cohen, S.C. Grace and H. Yamasaki. 2002. Plant phenolic antioxidant and prooxidant activities: phenolics induced oxidative damage mediated by metals in plants. Toxicology. 177:67-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(02)00196-8
- Shin, S.R. and C.H. Lee. 2010. Antioxidant effects of the methanol extracts obtained from aerial part and rhizomes of ferns native to Korea. Kor. J. Plant Res. 23(1):38-46.
- Shin, Y.S., J.E. Lee, I.K. Yeon, H.W. Do, J.D. Cheung, C.K. Kang, S.Y. Choi, S.J. Youn, J.G. Cho and D. Kwoen. 2008. Antioxidant effects and tyrosinase inhibition activity of oriental melon(Cucumis melo L. var makuwa Makino) extracts. J. Life Scien. 18(7):963-967. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.7.963
- Shin, Y.S., J.E. Lee, I.K. Yeon, H.W. Do, J.D. Cheung, C.K. Kang, S.Y. Choi, S.J. Youn, J.G. Cho and D.J. Kwoen. 2008. Antioxidant and antimicrobial effects of extract with water and ethanol of oriental melon(Cucumis melo L. var makuwa Makino). J. Kor. Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 51(3):194-199.
- Williams G.M., C.X. Wang and M.J. Iatropoulos. 1990. Toxicity studies of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene. I. Chronic feeding studies. Food Chem. Toxicol. 28:799-806. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-6915(90)90052-O
- Woo, J.Y., N.S. Paek and Y.M. Kim. 2005. Studies on antioxidative effect and lactic acid bacteria growth of persimmon leaf extracts. Kor. J. Food & Nutr. 18(1):28-38.
- Yoo K.M., D. Kim and C.Y. Lee. 2007. Evaluation of different methods of antioxidant measurement. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 16:177-182.