- Volume 11 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Wound Healing Effect of 525 nm Green LED Irradiation on Skin Wounds of Male Sprague Dawley Rats
- Cheon, Min-Woo (Department of Biomedical Enineering, Dongshin University) ;
- Park, Yong-Pil (Department of Biomedical Enineering, Dongshin University)
- Received : 2010.06.25
- Accepted : 2010.09.14
- Published : 2010.10.31
Many methods exist that promote wound healing, including light therapy, which consists of light beams that assist the human body in treating and sterilizing wounds, as well as regenerating cells. Irradiation with specific wavelengths of either laser or LED light has been shown to induce beneficial proliferation of fibroblasts that, depending on the size of the wound, can be effective in promoting wound healing. The experiments in this study utilized 8 week old 250~300 g Male Sprague Dawley Rats (ILAR Code: NTacSam:SD) and included a non-irradiation group and a 525 nm green LED irradiation group (n of each group = 7). In experiments animals were allowed to rest for 24 hours after wounds had been excised, which was followed by non- irradiation or 525 nm green LED irradiation therapy one hour per day for 9 days. Immunohistochemical staining was conducted for cytokeratin in order to precisely measure the defect size. In addition, Masson's trichrome staining was utilized in order to compare levels of collagen between the 525 nm green LED irradiation group and the non-irradiation group. Animals exposed to 525 nm green LED irradiation (p<0.05) healed at a faster rate and had increased collagenosis compared with the non-irradiated control group. Thus, treatment with 525 nm green LED irradiation had a beneficial effect on wound healing and should be considered as a possible alternative to low power laser treatment.
- S. R. K. Karukonda, T. C. Flynn, E. E. Boh, E. I. McBurney, G. G. Russo, and L. E. Millikan, Int. J. Dermatol. 39, 250 (2000) [DOI:10.1046/j.1365-4362.2000.00948.x]. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-4362.2000.00948.x
- J. D. Koo, C. S. Bae, K. Chang, Vet Clin Med. 16, 193 (1999).
- M. W. Cheon, J. KIEEME 21, 760 (2008).
- G. D. Baxter, A. J. Bell, J. M. Allen, and J. Ravey, Physiotherapy 77, 171 (1991) [DOI: 10.1016/s0031-9406(10)61696-3]. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0031-9406(10)61696-3
- M. M. H. I. de Braekt, F. A. M. van Alphen, A. M. Kuijpers-Jagtman, and J. C. Maltha, Lasers Surg. Med. 11, 462 (1991) [DOI: 10.1002/lsm.1900110512]. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.1900110512
- E. Rungger-Brandle and G. Gabbiani, Am. J. Pathol. 110, 361 (1983).
- F. L. Bailin, Prog. Dermatol. 21, 1 (1987).
- M. H. Shin, G. E. Rhie, C. H. Park, K. H. Kim, K. H. Cho, H. C. Eun, and J. H. Chung, J. Invest. Dermatol. 124, 315 (2005) [DOI:10.1111/j.0022-202X.2004.23588.x]. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-202X.2004.23588.x
- D. Bisht, S. C. Gupta, V. Misra, V. P. Mital, and P. Sharma, Indian J. Med. Res. 100, 43 (1994).
- Y. Sakurai, M. Yamaguchi, and Y. Abiko, Eur. J. Oral Sci. 108, 29 (2000) [DOI: 10.1034/j.1600-0722.2000.00783.x]. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0722.2000.00783.x
- H. T. Whelan, R. L. Smits Jr., E. V. Buchman, N. T. Whelan, S. G. Turner, D. A. Margolis, V. Cevenini, H. Stinson, R. Ignatius, T. Martin, J. Cwiklinski, A. F. Philippi, W. R. Graf, B. Hodgson, L. Gould, M. Kane, G. Chen, and J. Caviness, J. Clin. Laser Med. Surg. 19, 305 (2001) [DOI: 10.1089/104454701753342758]. https://doi.org/10.1089/104454701753342758
- H. T. Whelan, E. V. Buchmann, A. Dhokalia, M. P. Kane, N. T. Whelan, M. T. Wong-Riey, J. T. Eells, L. J. Gould, R. Hammamieh, R. Das, and M. Jett, J. Clin. Laser Med. Surg. 21, 67 (2003) [DOI: 10.1089/104454703765035484]. https://doi.org/10.1089/104454703765035484
- M. T. Wong-Riley, X. Bai, E. Buchamann, and H. T. Whelan, Neuroreport 12, 3033 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1097/00001756-200110080-00011
- J. Imanishi, K. Kamiyama, I. Iguchi, M. Kita, C. Sotozono, and S. Kinoshita, Prog. Retin. Eye Res. 19, 113 (2000) [DOI: 10.1016/s1350-9462(99)00007-5]. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1350-9462(99)00007-5
- V. X. Yang, P. J. Muller, P. Herman, and B. C. Wilson, Lasers Surg. Med. 32, 224 (2003) [DOI: 10.1002/lsm.10131]. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.10131
- J. S. Kana, G. Hutschenreiter, D. Haina, and W. Waidelich, Arch. Surg. 116, 293 (1981) [DOI: 10.1001/archsurg.1981.01380150021005]. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1981.01380150021005
- M. W. Cheon, Trans. On EEM. 9, 116 (2008)
- E. M. Vinck, B. J. Cagnie, M. J. Cornelissen, H. A. Declercq, and D. C. Cambier, Laser Med. Sci. 18, 95 (2003) [DOI: 10.1007/s10103-003-0262-x]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-003-0262-x