- Volume 27 Issue 1
Study of Defect Prevention on Weld Zone of Magnesium Alloy by Pulse Control of Nd:YAG Laser
Nd:YAG 레이저의 펄스 제어에 의한 마그네슘 합금 용접부의 결함 방지에 관한 연구
- Kim, Jong-Do (Division of Marine System Engineering, Korea Maritime Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jung-Han (Graduated school, Korea Maritime Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jang-Soo (SIMWON Inc.)
- Published : 2010.01.01
Magnesium and magnesium alloys, the lightest structural materials, have been received plenty of global attention recently. These alloys could be applied in various fields, especially the electronics industry, because of their excellent electromagnetic interference shielding. However, the welding technique of magnesium alloys has not been established. This study is related to the welding of AZ31B magnesium alloy by a short-pulsed a Nd:YAG laser. Two types of pulse waves, square pulse and variable pulse, were used to control weld defects. Results show that the crack and porosity, generated in the weld, had not been controlled by general square pulse. But through the application of variable pulse, the defects could be prevented and the good weld zone was obtained.
- Avedesian, M. M. and Baker, H., "ASM Specialty Handbook, Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys," ASM, pp. 3-12, 1999.
- The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity, "Magnesium Processing Technology," CORONA Press, pp. 12-33, 2004.
- Eliezer, D. and Aghion, E., "Magnesium Science, Technology and Applications," Advanced Performance Materials, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 201-212, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008682415141
- Zhang, B.-P., Tu, Y.-F., Chen, J.-Y., Zhang, H.-L., Kang, Y.-L. and Suzuki, H. G., "Preparation and characterization of as-rolled AZ31 magnesium alloy sheets," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 184, No. 1-3, pp. 102-107, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.11.009
- Aida, S., Tanabe, H., Sugai, H., Takano, I., Ohnuki, H. and Kobayashi, M., "Deep-drawability of cup on AZ31 magnesium alloy plate," Journal of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol. 50, No. 9, pp. 456-461, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2464/jilm.50.456
- Mackenzie, L. W. F. and Pekguleryuz, M., "The influences of alloying additions and processing parameters on the rolling microstructures and textures of magnesium alloys," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 480, No. 1-2, pp. 189-197, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2007.07.003
- Yoshida, Y., Arai, K., Itoh, S., Kamado, S., Wada, T., Matsunaga, T., Yoshimoto, T. and Kojima, Y., "Effects of Al and Zn contents and heat treatment on microstructure and tensile properties of Mg-Al-Zn alloys," Journal of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol. 55, No. 10, pp. 456-462, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2464/jilm.55.456
- Munitz, A., Cotler, C., Stern, A. and Kohn, G., "Mechanical properties and microstructure of gas tungsten arc welded magnesium AZ91D plates," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 302, No. 1, pp. 68-73, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(00)01356-3
- Zhu, T., Chen, Z. W. and Gao, W., "Incipient melting in partially melted zone during arc welding of AZ91D magnesium alloy," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 416, No. 1-2, pp. 246-252, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2005.10.032
- Shin, H.-W., Han, B.-S., Yoo, H.-J. and Jung, H.-H., "Development of Magnesium Seat Frames using the Vacuum Die Casting Process," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 88-97, 2009.
Weisheit, A., Galun, R. and Mordike, B. L., "
$CO_2$Laser Beam Welding of Magnesium-Based Alloys," Welding Journal, Vol. 77, No. 4, pp. 149-154, 1998.
- Asahina, T. and Tokisue, H., "Electron Beam Weldability of Pure Magnesium and AZ31 Magnesium Alloy," Materials Transactions, Vol. 42, No. 11, pp. 2345-2353, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.42.2345
- Cao, X., Jahazi, M., Immarigeon, J. P. and Wallace, W., "A review of laser welding techniques for magnesium alloys," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 171, No. 2, pp. 188-204, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.06.068
- Kim, J.-D., Kil, B.-L. and Lee, J.-H., "Effect of Process Parameters on Laser Weldability of AZ31 Magnesium Alloy," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 570-577, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2008.32.4.570
- Kim, J.-D., Lee, J.-H. and Kim, J.-S., "Characteristics of Butt Welded AZ31 Magnesium Alloy with Laser Welding Conditions," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 517-523, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2009.33.4.517