- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Experimental Study of Steam Reforming Assisted by Catalytic Combustion in Concentric Annular Reactor
촉매연소를 이용한 동심 원관형 반응기 내의 수증기 개질 반응에 관한 실험적 연구
- Ghang, Tae-Gyu (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Yu, Sang-Seok (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Yong-Mo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Ahn, Kook-Young (Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials)
- Published : 2010.04.01
In this paper, the heat-transfer characteristics of steam reforming in an annular reactor are presented. Heat is supplied by the catalytic combustion of syn-gas. The thermal behaviors of exothermic and endothermic reactions in a directly coupled concentric-tube packed-bed reactor were investigated experimentally. The gas mixture supplied for catalytic combustion consisted of the off-gas emitted from MCFC anode. Methane in steam at a suitable S/C (steam-to-carbon) ratio was used in the reforming reactions. On the basis of the experimental results, a simple simulation was performed to predict the temperature profile required in the reforming side of the reactor to achieve optimum hydrogen yield. The results of this study may be utilized as reference data in future studies for further development of coupled reactors.
- Kim, K. B., Jung, H. L., Oh, C. K., 2008, "Stuides on a Micro Reformer System with a Two-staged Micro Combustor," Trans. of the Korean Hydrogen and New Energy Society, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 217-225.
- Park, J. G., Lee, S. H., Lim, S. K. and Bae, J. M., 2009, "Numerical Study on Operating Parameters and Shapes of a Steam Reformer for Hydrogen Production from Methane," Trans of the KSME(B), Vol. 33, No. 1. pp. 60-67. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2009.33.1.60
- KOGAS, 2002, "Synthesis of the Hydrogen from Natural Gas," Final Research Report, pp. 16-25.
- Xu, J., Froment, G. F., 1989, "Methan Steam Reforming, Mathanation and Water-Gas Shift-1," AIchE Journal, Vol. 35, No. 1.
- Hayes, R. E., Kolaczkowski, S. T., 1997, "Introduction to Catalytic Combustion," pp. 401-422.
- A Case Study of Different Configurations for the Performance Analysis of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells with External Reformers vol.36, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2012.36.3.343
- An Experimental Study on the Performances of a Coupled Reactor with Catalytic Combustion and Steam Reforming for SOFC and MCFC vol.25, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7316/KHNES.2014.25.4.364
- Thermal Behaviors and Reaction Characteristics of an Integrated Reactor with Catalytic Combustion-Reforming According to Operation Conditions vol.35, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2011.35.6.641