- Volume 34 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on the Improvement of Turbocharger Lag by Means of Air Injection in a Turbocharged Diesel Engine
- Choi, Nag-Jung (Division of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Oh, Seong-Mo (Division of Mechanical Automotive Engineering, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2010.09.14
- Accepted : 2010.11.11
- Published : 2010.11.30
An experimental study was performed to investigate the improvement of response performance of a turbocharged diesel engine under the operating conditions of low speed and fast acceleration. In this study, the experiment for improving the low speed and acceleration performance is performed by means of injecting air into the intake manifold of compressor exit during the period of low speed and application of a fast acceleration from low speed. The effects of air injection into the intake manifold on the response performance were investigated at various applicant parameters such as air injection pressure, accelerating rate, accelerating time, engine speed and load. The experimental results show that air injection into the intake manifold at compressor exit is closely related to the improvement of turbocharger lag under low speed and accelerating conditions of a turbocharged diesel engine. During the rapid acceleration period, the air injection into the intake manifold of turbocharged diesel engine indicates the improvement of the combustion characteristics and gas pressure in the cylinder. At low speed range of the engine, the effect of air injection shows the improvement of the pressure distribution of turbocharger and combustion pressure during the period of gas exchange pressure.
- H. Gimmel, H. P. Holzt and H.-J.Weimann, "Computerized simulation of the acceleration characteristics of an exhaust gas turbocharged automotive diesel engine," Proceedings of Turbocharging and Turbochargers, I. Mech. E., London, England, paper C34/82, pp. 37-48, 1982.
- Y. Shimamoto, K. Kanamaru and J. S. Choi., "Prediction of performance of turbocharged four cycle diesel engine," Transaction of JSME, vol. 52, pp. 3107-3113, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1299/kikaib.52.3107
- W. A. Spaker, "The aerodynamic design of variable power turbine for turbochargers," SAE paper no. 920041, pp. 62-66, 1992.
- F. Nishiguchi, Y. Sumi and K. Yamane, "Reduction in the polar moment of inertia of an automotive turbocharger by controlling aerodynamic blade loading," Proceedings of Turbocharging and Turbochargers, I. Mech. E., London, England, paper C34/82, pp. 123-127, 1982,
- K. N. Pattas and A. M. Stamatelos, "Transient behaviour of turbocharged engine vehicles equipped with diesel particulate traps," SAE paper no. 920361, pp. 532-539, 1992.
- C. S. Lee and N. J. Choi, "A study on the characteristics of transient response in a turbocharged diesel engine," Proceedings of IPC6, KSAE, Seoul, Korea, pp. 73-80, 1991.
- J. D. Ledger, R. S Benson and H. Furukawa, "Improvement in transient performance of a turbocharged diesel engine by air injection into the compressor," SAE paper no. 730665, pp. 2412-2423, 1973.
- Y. Matsura, N. Nakaza, Y. Kobayashi, H. Ogita and T.Kawatani, "Effects of various methods for improving vehicle startabilty and transient response of turbocharged diesel trucks," SAE Paper no. 920044, pp. 11-26,1992.
- S.Maulice, K. Lee, S.Watanabe, H. Nagakura, M.Shiratsuchi, H. Sugihara and M. Ienaga, "Improvement of a turbocharged and intercooled diesel engine powered vehicles startability by means of a three wheel turbocharger (TWT)," SAE paper no. 945018, pp. 163-170, 1994.
- M. Ohtani, K. Akiba and H. Yoshiki, "The improvement of vee eight engine performance in low speed range," Proceedings of Turbocharging and Turbochargers, I. Mech. E., London, England, paper C34/82, pp. 7-18, 1982.
- N. J. Choi and C. S. Lee, "A study on the response characteristics of a turbocharged diesel engine on the operation conditions of a rapid acceleratio," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, vol.19, no. 3, pp. 33-41, 1995.
- C. J. Poplawsky, L. Lindbreg, S. Robb and J.Roundy, "Development of an advanced ceramic turbine wheel for an air turbine starter," SAE paper no. 921945, pp. 1649-1659, 1992.
- Simulation based study on improving the transient response quality of turbocharged diesel engines vol.23, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/JQME-08-2016-0037