- Volume 16 Issue 4
The Effects of Soybean Peptide on Lipid Peroxidation, Antioxidant Enzyme and Inflammatory Cytokines in Elite Taekwondo Player
- Son, Chang-Seob (Department of Physical Education Graduate School, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Lee, Hye-Sook (Department of Beauty and Health care, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Yoon-Bok (Central Research Institute, Dr. Chung's Food Co. Ltd.) ;
- Park, Myeong-Soo (Department of Hotel Culinary Arts, Anyang Technical College) ;
- Yoo, Yung-Choon (Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Konyang University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Lim (Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Konyang University) ;
- Hwang, Seock-Yeon (Department of Biomedical Laboratory Science, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2010.10.08
- Accepted : 2010.12.20
- Published : 2010.12.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of soybean peptide on lipid peroxidation, antioxidant enzyme and inflammatory cytokines in male high school taekwondo players. The subjects were divided into 2 groups, which were a soybean peptide intake group (S-peptide, n=13) and a placebo intake group (Placebo, n=10). The s-peptide group took 4 g a day of soybean peptide for 4 weeks. Blood samples were taken from the antecubital vein at before taekwondo performance, after 2 and 4 weeks taekwondo performance. The plasma was analyzed for the antioxidant enzyme activity factor, lipid peroxidation and cytokines. As a result, the s-peptide group decreased lipid peroxidation (MDA) and increased the antioxidant enzyme activity factor (TAS and CAT). The plasma concentration of inflammatory cytokines, IL-6 and TNF-
- Aebi H. Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol. 1984. 105: 121-126 . https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(84)05016-3
- Asghar M, George L, Lokhandwala MF. Exercise decreases oxidative stress and inflammation and restores renal dopamine D1 receptor function in old rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007. 293: F914-F919. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajprenal.00272.2007
- Bruun JM, Helge JW, Richelsen B, Stallknecht B. Diet and exercise reduce low-grade inflammation and macrophage infiltration in adipose tissue but not in skeletal muscle in severely obese subjects. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006.290: E961-E967. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00506.2005
- Davies KJ, Quintanilha AT, Brooks GA, Packer L. Free radicals and tissue damage produced by exercise. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1982. 107: 1198-1205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(82)80124-1
- Disilvestro RA, Mattern C, Wooda N, Devor ST. Soy protein intake by active young adult men raises plasma antioxidant capacity without altering plasma testosterone. Nutrition Research 2006. 26: 92-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2005.12.002
- Donna L. Bazzoli, Steven Hill, Robert A. DiSilvestro. Soy protein antioxidant actions in active, young adult women. Nutrition Research 2002. 22: 807-815. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(02)00397-4
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC. Oxygen is poisonousan introduction to oxygen toxicity and free radicals in Biology and Medicine. 1989. 2nd Ed. Clarendon Press. Oxford.
- Han YH, Park SK, Kim HY. Effect of soy protein hydrolyzate on lipid metabolism and antioxidant activity in the rat. Korean J Nutr. 2008. 41: 119-126.
- Hotamisgil GS, Shargill NS, Spiegelman BM. Adipose expression of tumor mecroses factor-alpha: direct role in obesity-linked insulin resistance. Science 1993. 259: 87-91. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7678183
- Hyun GS. The Effect of Antioxidant Vitamin C and E Supplementation on Superoxide Dismutase, Catalase Activity after Submaximal Exercise. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies 2002. 18: 1467-1476.
- Jang HC. Effects of combined exercise and soy protein supplementation on adiponectin and inflammatory cytokines in Obese Middle-age Women. The graduate school korea national sport university. 2007.
- Lee YK, Kwon OS, Song YJ, Kim SH, Kim PG, Ryu SP. Inhibitory Effect of Rhus Vemiciflua Extract on Lipid Peroxidation and Inflammatory Cytokines during Endurance Exercise Training. Jour Korean For Soc. 2010. 99: 102-110.
- Lee JS. Effects of soy protein and genistein on blood glucose, antioxidant enzyme activities, and lipid profile in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Life Sci. 2006. 79: 1578-1584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2006.06.030
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem. 1951. 193: 265-275.
- Marfella R Esposito K, Siniscalchi M, Cacciapuoti F, Giugliano F, Labriola D, Ciotola M, Di Palo C, Misso L, Giugliano D. Effect of weight loss on cardiac synchronization and proin-flammatory cytokines in premenopausal obese women. Diabetes Care 2004.27: 47-52. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.1.47
- Oh HY, Lim S, Lee JM, Kim DY, Ann ES, Yoon S. A combination of soy isoflavone supplementation and exercise improves lipid profiles and protects antioxidant defense-systems against exercise-induced oxidative stress in ovariectomized rats. Biotactors 2007. 29: 175-185.
- Oh-ishi S, Kizaki T, Ookawara T, Sakurai T, Izawa T, Nagata N, Ohno H. Endurance training improves the resistance of rat diaphragm to exercise-induced oxidative stress. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997. 156: 1579-1585. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.156.5.96-11035
- Packer L. Protective role of vitamin E in biological systems. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991. 53: 1050S-1055S.
- Park SY. Screening of biological activities and purification of antioxidant peptide from soybean protein hydrolysate. The graduate school hanyang university. 2007.
- Prior RL, Cao G. In vivo total antioxidant capacity: comparison of different analytical methods. Free Radic Biol Med. 1999. 27: 1173-1181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(99)00203-8
- Seo HB, Kim HK. Effect of chungkukjang powder feeding and exercise training on blood lipids concentration and SOD activity, MDA content in Sprague-Dawley. The Korea Jourmal of Sports Science 2008. 17: 1571-1580.
- Shargorodsky M, Debbi O, Matas Z, Zimlichman R. Effect of long-term treatment with antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E, coenzyme Q10 and selenium) on arterial compliance, humoral factors and inflammatory markers in patients with multiple cardiovascular risk factors. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010. 7: 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-7-55
- Shephard RJ, Shek PN. Effects of exercise and training on natural killer cell counts and cytolytic activity: a meta-analysis. Sports Med. 1999. 28: 177-195. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199928030-00003
- Sowers JR. Obesity as a cardiovascular risk factor. Am J Med. 2003. 115: 37S-41S.
- Wellen KE, Hotamisligil GS. Obesity-induced inflammatory changes in adipose tissue. J Clin Invest. 2003. 112: 1785-1788.
- Wilson T, March H, Ban WJ, Hou Y, Adler S, Meyers CY, Winters TA, Maher MA. Antioxidant effects of phyto-and synthetic-estrogens on cupric ion-induced oxidation of human low-density lipoproteins in vitro. Life Sci. 2002. 70: 2287-2297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(02)01483-2
- Yagi K. A simple fluorometric assay for lipoperoxide in blood plasma. Biochem Med. 1976. 15: 212-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2944(76)90049-1