- Volume 34 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Changes in Absorbency and Drying Speed of a Quick-drying Knit Fabric by Repeated Laundering
- Roh, Eui-Kyung (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Eun-Ae (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2010.11.29
- Accepted : 2010.12.18
- Published : 2010.12.31
This research evaluates the change of the water absorbency and drying speed of a quick-drying knit fabric by repeated laundering and laundering conditions and investigates the influence of laundering conditions on the functional properties of the knit fabric. Four factors of laundering conditions were studied: detergent, water hardness, water temperature, and frequency of rotation. Knit fabrics were washed for 25 laundering cycles in a drum-type washing machine with nine different laundering conditions derived from an orthogonal array. The properties of knit fabrics were measured with a drop absorption test, a strip test, and a drying time test. Relaxation shrinkage pointed to a change in the structural characteristics of the knit fabric. Wetting time was faster and wickability was greater in the knit fabrics that underwent 5 laundering cycles; in addition, there were no obvious changes in wetting time and wickability. The detergent was the most important factor in wetting time (40.4%) and wickability (60% or above). Water hardness, water temperature and RPM had less of an effect on wetting time and wickability. There were no significant differences between the levels of laundering conditions (except for detergent) on wetting time and wickability. Drying times with neutral and alkali were slower by repeated laundering; however, there was no obvious change in drying time. Hardness, water temperature and RPM had less of an impact on drying time.
- AATCC. (2007). Test method 79: Absorbency of textiles. AATCC test methods. North Carolina: Research Triangle Park.
- Adler, M. M., & Walsh, W. H. (1984). Mechanisms of transient moisture transport between fabrics. Textile Research Journal, 54(5), 334-342. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051758405400510
- Back, D. H. (1992). Development trend of quick-drying fiber. Textile Science and Engineering, 29(1), 10-15.
- Back, Y. M., Roh, E. K., Yoo, H. S., & Kim, E. A. (2009). Water transport properties of two-layered quick drying knit fabrics. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles Conference, Korea, 77.
- Banerjee, P. K., & Alaiban, T. S. (1988). Geometry and dimensional properties of plain loops made of rotor spun cotton yarns, Part I: Outline of problem and experimental approach. Textile Research Journal, 58(2), 123-128. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051758805800301
- Cho, J. H., & Ryu, D. H. (2000). Changes of handle and total appearance value on waterproof and water vapor permeable coated fabrics by repeated washing. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 9(1), 33-45.
- Han, J. E., Roh, E. K., & Kim, E. A. (2010). Changes of comfort properties by residual detergent in the PU coated fabrics after repeated launderings. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles Conference, Korea, 57.
- ISO. (2000). ISO 9073: Textiles-Test methods for nonwovens-Part 6: Absorption. ICS: 59.080.30 Textile fabrics. Geneva, Switzerland: ISO.
- Jeong, G. J., & Choi, S. C. (1994). A Study on properties changes of vapor-permeable waterproofed fabrics by laundering and drycleaning. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 18(5), 674-681.
- Ji, D. S. (1989). A sturdy on the water vapor permeability of woven fabrics-relations between pore diameter, open free area and water vapor transmission resistance-. Textile Science and Engineering, 26(6), 1-8.
- Kang, B. C., Park, S. W., Lee, H. J., Joo, C., W., & Lee, S. K. (1998). The effect of yarn count and twist on the dimensional stability of weft knit fabric. Textile Science and Engineering, 35(12), 755-763.
- Kim, N. S., & Kim, S. R. (2001). Clothing care and maintenace. Seoul: Korea National Open University Press.
- Kim, S. R. (2000). Detergent and laundering's science (2nd ed.). Seoul: Kyomunsa.
- Korean standard association. (2008, June 9). Test methods for knitted fabrics: 6.28.1. Korean Standards information center. Retrieved October 30, 2010, from http://www.standard.go.kr
- Lee, D. H., & Kim, E. A (2001). Pore size and distribution of polyester fabrics determined by liquid extraction method. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(2), 379-388.
- Lee, D. H., Yeo, S. Y., & Kim, E. A. (1997). Pore size and distribution of polyester fabrics determined by liquid extraction method. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 21(1), 206-216.
- Leonas, K. K. (1998). Effect of laundering on the barrier properties of reusable surgical gown fabric. American Journal of Infection Control, 26(5), 495-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-6553(98)70022-7
- Onal, L., & Candan, C. (2003). Contribution of fabric characteristics and laundering to shrinkage of weft knitted fabrics. Textile Research Journal, 73(3), 187-191. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051750307300301
- Quaynor, L., Nakajima, M., & Takahashi, M. (1999). Dimensional changes in knitted and silk cotton fabrics with laundering. Textile Research Journal, 69(4), 285-291. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051759906900408
- Release a wool shampoo for outdoor. (2008, December 3). Aekyung. Retrieved October 30, 2010, from http://www.aekyung.co.kr
- Roh, E. K., Han, J. E., & Kim, E. A. (2010). Changes in moisture permeability and water proofness of high-density fabric by repeated laundering and condition. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(11), 1798-1811. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.11.1798
- Ucar, N., Karakas, H., & Sen, S. (2007). Physical and comfort properties of the hoisery knit product containing intermingled nylon elastomeric yarn. Fibers and Polymers, 8(5), 558-563. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02875880
- Wang, J. H., & Yasuda, H. (1991). Dynamic water vapor and heat transport through layered fabrics, Part I: Effect of surface modification. Textile Research Journal, 61(1), 10-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051759106100102
- Effect of Washing Conditions on Dimensional Change and Mechanical Properties in Polyester/Spandex Knit Fabric vol.20, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.1.93