- Volume 3 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Electric double layers interactions under condition of variable dielectric permittivity
- Payam, Amir Farrokh (Nano-Electronics Center of Excellence, Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Campus #2, University of Tehran) ;
- Fathipour, Morteza (Nano-Electronics Center of Excellence, Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Campus #2, University of Tehran)
- Received : 2010.01.25
- Accepted : 2010.05.22
- Published : 2010.06.25
In this paper, a theoretical method has been developed for the electric double layer interaction under condition of the variable dielectric permittivity of water. Using Poisson-Boltzmann equation (PBE), for one plate and two plates having similar or dissimilar constant charge or constant potential, we have investigated the electric double layer potential, its gradient and the disjoining pressure as well as the effect of variation of dielectric permittivity on these parameters. It has been assumed that plates are separated by a specific distance and contain a liquid solution in between. It is shown that reduction of the dielectric permittivity near the interfaces results in compression of electric double layers and affects the potential and its gradient which leads to a decreased electrostatic repulsion. In addition, it is shown that variation of dielectric permittivity in the case of higher electrolyte concentration, leads to a greater change in potential distribution between two plates.
- Chan, D.Y.C. (2002), "A simple algorithm for calculating electrical double layer interactions in asymmetric electrolytes-poisson-boltzmann theory", J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 245, 307-310. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.2001.7942
- Chan, D.Y.C., Healy, T.W. and White, L.R. (1976), "Electrical double layer interactions under regulation by surface ionization equilibria-dissimilar amphoretic surfaces", J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans., 72, 2844-2865. https://doi.org/10.1039/f19767202844
- Chan, D.Y.C., Pashley, R.M. and White, L.R. (1980), "A simple algorithm for the calculation of the electrostatic repulsion between identical charged surfaces in electrolyte", J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 77, 283-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(80)90445-2
- Churaev, N.V. (1990), Physicochemistry of mass transfer processes in porous bodies, Khimiya, Moscow.
- Doshi, D.A., Watkins, E.B., Israelachvili, J.N. and Majewski, J. (2005), "Reduced water density at hydrophobic surfaces: effect of dissolved gases", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 102, 9458. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0504034102
- Hogg, R.I., Healy, T.W. and Fuerstenau, D.W. (1966), "Mutual coagulation of colloidal dispersions", Trans. Faraday Soc., 62, 1638-1651. https://doi.org/10.1039/tf9666201638
- Israelachvili, J.N. (1991), Intermolecular and surface forces, Second ed., Academic Press, San Diego, USA.
- Lyklema, J. (2005), Fundamentals of interface and colloid science: solid-liquid interfaces, Academic Pre, San Diego, USA.
- McCormack, D., Carine, S.L. and Chan, D.Y.C. (1995), "Calculations of electric double-layer force and interaction free energy between dissimilar surfaces", J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 169, 177-196. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.1995.1019
- Mezger, M., Reichert, H., Scho, S., Okasinski, J., Schroder, H., Dosch, H., Palms, D., Ralston, J. and Honkimaki, V. (2006), "High-resolution in situ x-ray study of the hydrophobic gap at the water-octadecyl-trichlorosilane interface", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 103, 18401. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0608827103
- Mishchuk, N. (2008), "Electric double layer and electrostatic interaction of hydrophobic particles", J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 320, 599-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2007.12.047
- Stankovich, Jim and Carnie, Steven L. (1996), "Electrical double layer interaction between dissimilar spherical colloidal particles and between a sphere and a plate: nonlinear poisson-boltzmann theory", Langmuir, 12, 1453-1461. https://doi.org/10.1021/la950384k
- Usui, S. (1973), "Interaction of electrical double layers at constant surface charge", J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 44, 107-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(73)90197-5
- Voznyj, P.A. and Churaev, N.V. (1977), Kolloidn. Zh. 39, 438. (in Russian)
- Zhang, J., Drechsler, A., Grundke, K. and Kwok, D.Y. (2004), "A simple and practical approach to implement the general Poisson-Boltzmann equation of symmetric and asymmetric electrolytes for electrical double layer interactions", Colloid. Surface. A., 242, 189-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2004.03.026
- Zhang, J., Drechsler, A., Grundke, K. and Kwok, D.Y. (2006), "The similarity of electric double-layer interaction from the general Poisson-Boltzmann theory", J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 300, 391-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.03.019